Metal differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 03:13 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
thanks for the 411 brento.. it puts the comparo into better perspective for me.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Inconel is used/trusted in Nuclear Rx Plants around the world over stainless steel. Especially in the navy's reactors.

Inconel doesn't rust in the presence of biological material. Stainless does. That's why you don't touch a Delorean with your hands. Cars on the road are often subjected to biological material. My stainless headers are rusted as ****....
Also, at greater than 450 degrees SS is susceptible to other types of corrosions.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 02 RS
Originally Posted by ImprezaRSX
Inconel is used/trusted in Nuclear Rx Plants around the world over stainless steel. Especially in the navy's reactors.

Inconel doesn't rust in the presence of biological material. Stainless does. That's why you don't touch a Delorean with your hands. Cars on the road are often subjected to biological material. My stainless headers are rusted as ****....
Also, at greater than 450 degrees SS is susceptible to other types of corrosions.

your right on the money dom.

stainless still has a carbon content (around 1%) to it unlike inconcel. i read this somewhere.

"What happens is this: when chromium-nickel steel is heated to a temperature range of 800° to 1590°F, the carbon in the steel combines with chromium to form chromium carbides. This transformation is called carbide precipitation and reduces the corrosion resistance of the steel."
Old 04-09-2005, 10:32 AM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
i see!.... +1 for brento!

yo, never understood all that other stuff that goes into the metals. (about tensile stregnth droping after a certain temp) you are right.

the only reason i pay most attention to melting points is because, i weld on this stuff on a daily basis. ( i'm a welder a pearl harbor, i work on nuc- subs) i need to know what melts faster and what doesnt. unfortunately, they dont tell us why the chose to use inconel over SS or even cuni for that matter. they just tell us to weld. and thats one thing i do know about.....

i apologize if i gave wrong info. what do i know, i just weld this stuff. lol
peace out
-ROB
Old 04-09-2005, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by WRXed
. i finally had a use for my material science book after college.
hahaha..
Old 04-09-2005, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by playa7
i see!.... +1 for brento!

yo, never understood all that other stuff that goes into the metals. (about tensile stregnth droping after a certain temp) you are right.

the only reason i pay most attention to melting points is because, i weld on this stuff on a daily basis. ( i'm a welder a pearl harbor, i work on nuc- subs) i need to know what melts faster and what doesnt. unfortunately, they dont tell us why the chose to use inconel over SS or even cuni for that matter. they just tell us to weld. and thats one thing i do know about.....

i apologize if i gave wrong info. what do i know, i just weld this stuff. lol
peace out
-ROB
that's a cool job...how do you like it?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:55 AM

well, sometimes its really hard work. and sometimes its not knida deal. you love it then hate it....but then you start to think of the $$$ and everything is auuurite! (i get paid more then my age. lol... dont ask).

so you were the guy. i seen on kalihi st. with the yellow bes? you were pulling out of a side street. i was in the jbp wrx.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

well, sometimes its really hard work. and sometimes its not knida deal. you love it then hate it....but then you start to think of the $$$ and everything is auuurite! (i get paid more then my age. lol... dont ask).

so you were the guy. i seen on kalihi st. with the yellow bes? you were pulling out of a side street. i was in the jbp wrx.
yeah that's me, funny cause i was waiting for you to look, cause it looked like you had a bad day...didn't wanna look like an ***..

btw...nice you car with the gold rims..
Old 04-09-2005, 11:15 AM

yeah, before i seen you, i just got thru trying to install Ditchhanger's rear swaybar on my car only to find out that it was for an STi not a wrx. we both thought that it would fit. but, i found out the hard way lol
Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
Related to the metal topic. Here's a cool site.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/index.htm

Included in their listing is 304 SS and Inconel.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

yeah, before i seen you, i just got thru trying to install Ditchhanger's rear swaybar on my car only to find out that it was for an STi not a wrx. we both thought that it would fit. but, i found out the hard way lol
that sucked, so what happend?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Inconel is used in the nuclear sub for a good reason... hehe... I think it might be a overkill for cars but I can't talk... my up pipe is 321 Steel... :P
Old 04-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Car Info: cars
howler - if you want details on the material makeup, check out www.matweb.com. its a good refererence that engineers use for a quick reference when determining what materials to use in a design.

imo, the reason the inconel is used is for better corrosion resistance and thermal conductivity. personally, i'd go with the 304 because you won't notice the difference until you are making ridiculous power.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Car Info: cars
oops, double post.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Originally Posted by WRXed
until you are making ridiculous power.

We all gotta have goals!

Quick Reply: Metal differences