Making a CO2 Sprayer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 09:35 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i would imagine a spray bar of sorts, with different sized injectors/sprayers to maintain a constant flow rate throughout the bar, as a single jet would only cool in one spot, and a single wide spread jet would get dispersed too much and lose its cooling ability. i dont really have an idea of how much they will flow/use up the CO2, but i do know that it takes a while to discharge a 14oz. CO2 tank through a remote hose used on paintball guns, and i cant imagine it using much more than that
i agree with the idea of using a spray bar, anything else would give inferior cooling in comparison. spreading the cold gas across the full length and width of the I/C would be the most effective.
as far as CO2 usage goes, i'd imagine that you might go through a fair bit of C02 faster than you might think. i've drained a 14oz paintball tank during probably and hour and a half of paintball, and the guns are pretty efficient with the CO2. having the solenoid flowing wide open for a second or more at a time will use CO2 a whole lot quicker than a paintball gun. i drained an entire 15lb powertank in under half an hour using a pneumatic cutoff wheel that ran at something like 60 CFM @ 50 PSI. to get the kind of cooling you're looking for, i bet you could drain a 14oz paintball tank in just a half ddozen runs down the 1/4 mile. does anyone know how much NOS the NOS based intercoolers use? that might be a place to start.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:48 AM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
does anyone know how much NOS the NOS based intercoolers use? that might be a place to start.
my guess would be that it would use almost exactly the same amount, depending on the type of nozzles/sprybar/whatever used.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:58 PM

here's one...

Not as cool as what we;re talking about here (I believe this just a manual system), but I like how hus spray bar came out:

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...3;t=002279;p=1
Old 05-28-2003, 03:04 PM

yeah, that sprayer came out real nice, he said he had $180 inot it after it was all done. i think we can do it for a lot cheaper.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:35 PM

snipped from the other forum's thread:

Rumor has it a 10lbs bottle will last you about 4 1/4 mile runs.
i'm assuming that's with the CO2 sprayer being switched on before the christmas tree lights up, and spraying for the entire quarter mile run. that's certainly not much run time from a fairly large C02 tank, but i think you could conservce a lot of C02 by having the sprayer come on under high throttle/boost conditions, and stay on for a predetermined ammount of time.
now that i think about it, the trickest thing would be to wire the solenoid up to the throttle position sensor (i'm assuming that the WRX has one), so that at a pre-determined throttle level the sprayer is activated. i think this would be preferable to having it activated by boost pressure, because you'd be cooling the intake charge while you're on the gas and building boost.
i'd be pretty impressed if someone could build an I/C CO2 sprayer that was comparable to, or better than the one shown on the wrx forum link, for less than $180. given the cost of tanks, solenoids, and braided stainless lines, you'd have to have one sweet hook up for parts to come in much cheaper.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:05 PM

bump
Old 06-05-2003, 03:46 PM

after looking at what's on the market in terms of CO2 sprayers, it almost doesn't make sense (economically speaking) to build your own sprayer. there are several companies offering either N2O intercooler sprayers, or CO2 sprayers are aren't overly expensive. by the time you buy the tank, solenoids, braided stainless lines, and a regulator it gets pretty close to a pre-built aftermarket unit.
i think that the best use of time and engineering engergy would be to buy a CO2/N20 kit, and spend your time tinkering with the electronics the maximize the efficiency of the sprayer, i.e. hooking it to the ECU, and setting the sprayer to be activated by full throttle, boost level, or intake temps. the kits i've seen don't offer this, and come with an armed/off/on switch setup. if you really want to work on the gas dispersion, there are probably some gains to be had from tweaking the spray bar design, positioning, and nozzle sizes. most of the kit bars look like they were put together with parts from the local hardware store anyway.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:08 PM

man, and i got all syched(spell?) to build my own
Old 06-05-2003, 04:33 PM

i hear you. when this thread first popped up, i hadn't even seen an I/C sprayer but had kinda heard of the N2O one. the thought of being able to build one is really cool, but it's frustrating when buying all the parts and putting it together winds up being more expensive than a readily available kit. the problem with compressed gas sprayers is that the hardware (tank, regulator, lines etc.) are so expensive when purchased alone. builing your own water sprayer is much more reasonable, since you're not dealing with high pressure gasses, which means you can use plastic/rubber lines, no regulator, and cheaper components.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Mach5, didn't the N-tercooler have a square spray module that circled the underside of the hoodscoop/top of the IC?

Also, Dom, I am interested in this. I'm a real novice at the elctrical theory, but as for the paintball canisters, I'd have to say go with the powertank. the flow rates sound too high for any serious length of sustained flow from even a 20oz paintball canister. However, if you're interested, and want to try it out, I have a 20oz canister sitting right here.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:03 PM

Dude, I'm interested if you've been successful with this. I'd really like to make one or get one made.

Larry AKA
WRX151
Old 07-02-2003, 06:30 PM

i think it kind of dissolved into, "it would be cheaper and less time consuming to buy a pre-made kit."
Old 07-02-2003, 06:32 PM

but if you are really interested, i can take a few hours to make one. the wiring for it all should be fairly simple, would be neat to have a logic controller to deliver certain pressures and times at different speeds/temps/rpm/etc. but i cant find any that are under like $200 that will do what i want
Old 12-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by EtchyLives
Mach5, didn't the N-tercooler have a square spray module that circled the underside of the hoodscoop/top of the IC?
Yep the sprayer "halo" circled the center of the IC, too bad the halo did fit all that great. If NX got their heads out of their butts & made a spray halo that fit the WRX TMIC, they would sell a ton of N-tercoolers to WRX owners.

I still wish I would have put that on my car and tried it out.

Quick Reply: Making a CO2 Sprayer...