Making a CO2 Sprayer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 01:41 PM

I/C switch

Here's another peice of the puzzle:

http://www.rallispec.com/product-engine4.htm

The OEM I/C sprayer button is near the bottom of the page.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
thanks!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:05 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
neat idea, here's something that might be a piece of the puzzle. you can order these tanks in various sizes, and they're rated for automotive use. they'll probably hold significantly more C02, under higher pressure than a NOS bottle, though they weigh a little more. the upside is that they come with a regulator, so you can control the ammount of CO2 you'd be spraying on the I/C. i've got one of these that i've used when i hit the track to power air tools, and inflate tires and i've really be pleased with it. i get mine filled with to really high pressures at a welding shop, for like $15 a tankful.
you could probably mount the tank in the trunk, and plumb some stainless air lines underneath the car -- there's probably an access panel of sorts in the trunk. the only drawback to this is that there wouldn't be a remote open capability for the tank, you'd either have to leave it on all the time, or open it every time you wanted to use it.
here is the link:

http://powertank.com/
Old 05-27-2003, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
instead of capacitors, wouldnt it be a lot easier, and more convenient to use an elctric timer? they sell 12volt timers that are adjustable from like 0-20 seconds, you could wire it something like this

edit:just to clear it up, the contact opens after the timer has gone through its time, say 2 sec. it will stay closed until time is up then it will open. you can have a master switch before all of this too, just didnt draw it.
with capacitors, they will be charged even with the car off, so you will have to be careful working around them too. you can put a light to know when co2 is spraying in parallel with the solenoid. let me know if i am forgetting something or not understanding. just thought it would be easier and simpler than using capacitors. and you can adjust the amount of spray you get at any time. you could also get crazy and use some logic controls, when in first co2 fires for 1 sec, then in second gear 2 second burst, in 3rd 6 sec, so on, so on.
Attached Thumbnails Making a CO2 Sprayer...-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by mysubaruimp; 05-27-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
neat idea, here's something that might be a piece of the puzzle. you can order these tanks in various sizes, and they're rated for automotive use. they'll probably hold significantly more C02, under higher pressure than a NOS bottle, though they weigh a little more. the upside is that they come with a regulator, so you can control the ammount of CO2 you'd be spraying on the I/C. i've got one of these that i've used when i hit the track to power air tools, and inflate tires and i've really be pleased with it. i get mine filled with to really high pressures at a welding shop, for like $15 a tankful.
you could probably mount the tank in the trunk, and plumb some stainless air lines underneath the car -- there's probably an access panel of sorts in the trunk. the only drawback to this is that there wouldn't be a remote open capability for the tank, you'd either have to leave it on all the time, or open it every time you wanted to use it.
here is the link:

http://powertank.com/
you can also get anywhere from a 9oz. tank to a 20oz tank at any paintball store for very little money, they also fill the tanks for $3, they last a good amount of time, and are way smaller than these ones. you can get bigger tanks, but the cost goes up dramatically after 20oz, and they are all mostly made to just hold compressed air.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Big Baller

Thanks for the help guys!

As far as the ciruit goes:
The capacitors don't need to be very big. all they have to power is a .11 amp relay.They won't be any bigger than quarter size. If they had to power the solenoid, then I'd be in trouble with HUGE capacitors.

I am puting an LED in parallel with the solenoid to give me actual indication of spray- that was the original plan.

Lastly, I don't think I'll need a longer spray at higher gears because in higher gears I'm moving faster and more air is moving through the intercooler. However, thank you very much for the ideas and input.

My other goal was to make a very effective and functional CO2 sprayer at a low cost. If I start buying timers and other expensive solid state components I'm not meeting that goal.

However if someone wants something more extravagant made I will gladly help them out with their requests!
I'll have the sprayer sing Jingle Bells if that's what you want! But it'll cost you a few more bucks.

Old 05-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Big Baller

Originally posted by mysubaruimp
instead of capacitors, wouldnt it be a lot easier, and more convenient to use an elctric timer? they sell 12volt timers that are adjustable from like 0-20 seconds, you could wire it something like this

edit:just to clear it up, the contact opens after the timer has gone through its time, say 2 sec. it will stay closed until time is up then it will open. you can have a master switch before all of this too, just didnt draw it.
with capacitors, they will be charged even with the car off, so you will have to be careful working around them too. you can put a light to know when co2 is spraying in parallel with the solenoid. let me know if i am forgetting something or not understanding. just thought it would be easier and simpler than using capacitors. and you can adjust the amount of spray you get at any time. you could also get crazy and use some logic controls, when in first co2 fires for 1 sec, then in second gear 2 second burst, in 3rd 6 sec, so on, so on.
hey dude... maybe I'm missing something.... but shouldn't the contact only drop power to the solenoid and not the timer too?
I might be misunderstanding your timing relay... does it automatically reset too?
Old 05-27-2003, 02:44 PM

do you think this would yield any performance gains from a pretty stock wrx? If so, what could I expect, and how is this any better than the NX intercooler setup or just a basic water sprayer?
Old 05-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Big Baller

CO2 is WAY better than water. capable of cooling the intake charge down to 32 degrees or less.
Significant power gains in any vehicle that suffers from high intake charge temps.

Weighs less.
Costs about the same (except H2O is free to fill up)
Way more effective.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Big Baller

oh and it's perfect for cars with undersized, stock intercoolers!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:43 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
you can also get anywhere from a 9oz. tank to a 20oz tank at any paintball store for very little money, they also fill the tanks for $3, they last a good amount of time, and are way smaller than these ones. you can get bigger tanks, but the cost goes up dramatically after 20oz, and they are all mostly made to just hold compressed air.
you're right, paintball tanks would certainly be smaller and cheaper. there were a couple of reason that i mentioned the powertanks. for starters, they're rated for vehicular use by the DOT. i'm not positive exactly what the laws are governing the use of compressed gasses on or in a car, but i'm pretty sure that all tanks have to be DOT approved. secondly, these things hold *huge* ammounts of CO2. it's not just air compressed at a couple hundred PSI, these things hold like 15lbs of CO2, meaning fewer refills.
i'm honestly curious, how much C02 do you think a CO2 intercooler sprayer would use? i have no idea what the flow rate of a NOS solenoid is, so it's not like i can work backward from there to get the CFM flow rate. would you be using one nozzle to direct the CO2 onto the intercooler, or have a spray bar, or ...? i'm really curious, this is a neat idea.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by dropkick_muppet

i'm honestly curious, how much C02 do you think a CO2 intercooler sprayer would use? i have no idea what the flow rate of a NOS solenoid is, so it's not like i can work backward from there to get the CFM flow rate. would you be using one nozzle to direct the CO2 onto the intercooler, or have a spray bar, or ...? i'm really curious, this is a neat idea.
i would imagine a spray bar of sorts, with different sized injectors/sprayers to maintain a constant flow rate throughout the bar, as a single jet would only cool in one spot, and a single wide spread jet would get dispersed too much and lose its cooling ability. i dont really have an idea of how much they will flow/use up the CO2, but i do know that it takes a while to discharge a 14oz. CO2 tank through a remote hose used on paintball guns, and i cant imagine it using much more than that.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by ImprezaRSX
hey dude... maybe I'm missing something.... but shouldn't the contact only drop power to the solenoid and not the timer too?
I might be misunderstanding your timing relay... does it automatically reset too?
its an electronic relay. when power is applied to it, it starts timing, if power is dropped out while it is timing, it resets the time and waits for power to be applied again. when power is applied and the timer times out the full 2 seconds(or whatever its set at) then it cuts power to the sprayer, not letting it be on for more than 2 seconds. and after power is dropped, it resets back to zero to wait for power to be applied again and start the cycle over again.

on second thought, while typing this. the way i have it wired, it will blow CO2 whenever at WOT, but not longer than 2 seconds at a time. it will go for any amount of time you are at WOT, under 2 seconds. why not just have it go for the whole time while at WOT?

just re-read first few posts, under 2 seconds to conserve CO2. but why? doesnt the air coming through the intercooler get used after 2 seconds are up? you will have cold, dense air for 2 seconds, then it will be back to warm air. but you are only in each gear for a limited amount of time, and the air after __ seconds will just be put out the BOV, right? i am kind of new to the turbo scene. i know the basics and theories of it, but have little hands on experience.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:00 PM

Significant power gains in any vehicle that suffers from high intake charge temps.
does the WRX suffer from high intake charge temperatures?!?!

I sure hope not.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:15 PM

updated wiring diagram, so messy, all i have is paint
Attached Thumbnails Making a CO2 Sprayer...-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by mysubaruimp; 05-27-2003 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Making a CO2 Sprayer...