Looks like I'm gonna have to retire my STi for a while...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:56 PM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
i thought i was the only one that paid way to much for insurance.....this year Geico wouldnt even renew my coverage. so i called around and everyone quoted me $5,000+ luckily i went with State Farm and the guy there hooked me up with a $2,500 Premium/year. still alot...but better than paying $5,000 just to drive my car.....

for the record: it was from previous speeding tickets.....i dont condone street racing.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Dude... perhaps you should know a little more about the situation if you choose to cast stones so harshly...

The road we were street racing on is affectionately know as the "Five-Mile stretch" here on Maui... it's a 4 lane divided highway that connects Kahului to Maalaea and is in the middle of nowhere. There were NO other cars on the road as it was about 11pm. A cop waiting in a center U-turn area of the road caught us.
Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Not only were you caught by the cops, but you were CONVICTED of it.
Of course I was CAUGHT by the cops, I'm not about to run from the police. We saw him on the side of the road and pulled over before he even turned on his blues. And of course I was CONVICTED of it, I was 100% guilty of what I was being charged with, I wasn't about to weasel my way out of it like everyone else. Luckily for me, the judge allowed me to do a Deferred Acceptance of No Contest and told me that the charge would be wiped from my record at the successful completion of a 6 month probation. Before letting me go, the judge asked if I knew what the maximum penalty of my conviction was... having read the law many times over I knew and answered that it was the $500 fine I received as well as up to six months in prison.
Speeding is one thing...street racing is another. I speed...everyone does. Grandma in her Camry does 70 on H-1, but she doesn't street race.
It's funny how quick everyone is to jump all over you for street racing, but yet many of them still condone speeding. What's worse, street racing when no ones around... or speeding when there are other people on the road? Even before getting caught, if there were other cars on the road… I only drove about 10 miles over the speed limit. If there are other cars on the road… I drive responsibly. Street racing in the middle of town is insane… and I'd never do it. I don't think that racing on an empty highway in the middle of nowhere is any worse then doing 70 on an empty road on your way home from work. But hey, it's illegal, and I got caught, so I'm currently facing the consequences of my actions.
I'm happy that you aren't on the streets with an STi.
Why would you say that? Do you know anything of my driving abilities? I've been the Chief of Timing and Webmaster for the Maui SCCA since it's inception a year ago. I've attended every event and I took 2nd fastest time of the day in our most recent event. I actually am a fairly decent driver. Choosing to or not to street race is a judgment call, in my case, it shows poor judgment, in the case of someone who street races in town where innocent people are around, it shows horrible judgment. That judgment call has nothing to do with your driving abilities.
The words "convicted for street racing" could have been left out and you could have gotten all the condolences you needed.
Why would I do that? I have nothing to hide. The whole point of my post was to say that it's not worth it financially to risk getting caught and to keep it on the tracks where it belongs.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
Originally Posted by MauiJammer
Dude... perhaps you should know a little more about the situation if you choose to cast stones so harshly...

The road we were street racing on is affectionately know as the "Five-Mile stretch" here on Maui... it's a 4 lane divided highway that connects Kahului to Maalaea and is in the middle of nowhere. There were NO other cars on the road as it was about 11pm. A cop waiting in a center U-turn area of the road caught us.

Of course I was CAUGHT by the cops, I'm not about to run from the police. We saw him on the side of the road and pulled over before he even turned on his blues. And of course I was CONVICTED of it, I was 100% guilty of what I was being charged with, I wasn't about to weasel my way out of it like everyone else. Luckily for me, the judge allowed me to do a Deferred Acceptance of No Contest and told me that the charge would be wiped from my record at the successful completion of a 6 month probation. Before letting me go, the judge asked if I knew what the maximum penalty of my conviction was... having read the law many times over I knew and answered that it was the $500 fine I received as well as up to six months in prison.

It's funny how quick everyone is to jump all over you for street racing, but yet many of them still condone speeding. What's worse, street racing when no ones around... or speeding when there are other people on the road? Even before getting caught, if there were other cars on the road… I only drove about 10 miles over the speed limit. If there are other cars on the road… I drive responsibly. Street racing in the middle of town is insane… and I'd never do it. I don't think that racing on an empty highway in the middle of nowhere is any worse then doing 70 on an empty road on your way home from work. But hey, it's illegal, and I got caught, so I'm currently facing the consequences of my actions.

Why would you say that? Do you know anything of my driving abilities? I've been the Chief of Timing and Webmaster for the Maui SCCA since it's inception a year ago. I've attended every event and I took 2nd fastest time of the day in our most recent event. I actually am a fairly decent driver. Choosing to or not to street race is a judgment call, in my case, it shows poor judgment, in the case of someone who street races in town where innocent people are around, it shows horrible judgment. That judgment call has nothing to do with your driving abilities.

Why would I do that? I have nothing to hide. The whole point of my post was to say that it's not worth it financially to risk getting caught and to keep it on the tracks where it belongs.

no other cars on the road, but a cop was there means that there was someone there when you though it was empty. this is how accidents happen. just like how the eclipse racing on the freeway near pearl city though it was clear but yet ended ramming a flatbed truck on the freeway. you think it is clear, but it is not.

also, just going to scca doesn't make you a good driver, it just makes you better than you were.

glad no one was hurt and you got the lesser penalty. b
Old 11-17-2004, 07:30 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Man, you guys really spend a lot on Insurance. I never realized how much. Damn.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:47 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
^^^werd...mine is only $1200 a year and thats full coverage. yet another reason i don't do s2pid stuff and i never drink when we go out.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by MauiJammer
No...there is no "explanation" about the situation or circumstances that can change my mind about what I said

Like b drift said...the guys (who got dead) in the Eclipse on H-1 probably felt the same way. You did it and it was wrong...PERIOD.

It doesn't matter if you got pulled over after him following you for a while or if you pulled over first. He would have caught you regardless of that fact. By pulling over after you saw him, you did admit guilt (and I know you said you did)...all you did was save him the effort of chasing you down and then pulling you over. You are lucky you got off easy. Probation isn't easy in itself, but it's easier thatn being someone's b!tch in prison.

You are right with that. I said I'm not an angel because I do speed. EVERYONE does. THe only way that your thinking is flawed is by you saying that you don't think that there is nothing different than speeding and street racing when no one is around. They are both wrong. I admitted that I'm not right by speeding. Usually, when I mean speeding, I mean I'm going 70 and efveryone else is; not driving in excess of 100 mph racing someone else on an open road. There are differences.

I meant it as I don't want to see a wrecked Subaru, of which the driver killed himself and someone else so people in the import community and the general public think that ALL Subaru owners (STi's, WRX's, RS's, etc.) are a bunch of speed freaks who don't give a **** about the law and other people's safety. If you want to bring driving ability into it, don't. Like b drift said, SCCA only makes you a better driver than you were. There are poeple who areheavily involved in SCCA that can't drive for ****. You wanna talk SCCA trash, come over and race against the caliber of drivers at our events and see how high you place overall. I've been racing SCCA for 5 years and only once have I cracked the top 5. I'm a damn good driver...I'm not bragging...ask anyone. I'm not the best nor do I claim to be. But I am good. And it has nothign to do with your decision to be a stupid driver and street race (then try and defend your actions).

If you are trying to make the point, then at least make it as such in the beginning. I had to read your post and by the time I got to your "point", it seemed like you put it there as an afterthought. ****! You even said in a later post how you planned on getting another car and modding it! How remorseful or sorry does that seem?

All in all, this is why EVERYONE knows not to **** me off about street racing. We all have to do our part as enthusiasts to knock this crap off. All it takes is one time and someone gets dead.

Why is it that when someone brings your attention to the wrong you do, the first thing to do is defend yourself. I understand human nature, but you didn't need to reply in such a fashion. If you knew you were wrong, why did you feel the need to have a defense? As much as I hate this kind of situation, it's my duty as the "moderator" and somehow defacto "speaker for the group" to put it right. I have no malice to you...it's not my life. But I don't take it lightly when it could possibly affect the rest of us.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:21 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
I'm a damn good driver...I'm not bragging...ask anyone.
Yep, he's good. And you should see how crappy he looks the morning of the race.

On a lighter note, I can't wait until that speed ferry thing is available so that we can have some interisland competition. Woot!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:53 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
well the bottom line is that it was street racing and us as i-clubbers don't aprove of it no matter what the excuse is...your very lucky that the judge was nice to u and hopefully u won't do it again and when ur record gets clean try to stay out of trouble for ur sake
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
If you are trying to make the point, then at least make it as such in the beginning. I had to read your post and by the time I got to your "point", it seemed like you put it there as an afterthought. ****! You even said in a later post how you planned on getting another car and modding it! How remorseful or sorry does that seem?
My bad, I didn't put the summary prior to the body, but I still wholeheartedly ment the conclusion. As far as getting another car, if I'm having to garage my STi, I would like to drive a car that has some pickup and fair handling in the mean time. I don't need to be remorseful or sorry to learn from the past and not do it again.

Why is it that when someone brings your attention to the wrong you do, the first thing to do is defend yourself. I understand human nature, but you didn't need to reply in such a fashion. If you knew you were wrong, why did you feel the need to have a defense? As much as I hate this kind of situation, it's my duty as the "moderator" and somehow defacto "speaker for the group" to put it right. I have no malice to you...it's not my life. But I don't take it lightly when it could possibly affect the rest of us.
What I did was wrong, and illegal, period. I am not defending myself against that... I am just trying to defend the perception of my judgement. That is why I replied. Street racing in the manner I did shows a temporary lack of judgement in the first place... but it's not the same as weaving thru traffic at 100mph. That is all I'm trying to defend against. Basically I just don't want people to think I'm a completly worthless sack of human waste.

We've all done stupid things when we were young and hopefully we learnt from them early on without much trial and error. My problem is that I am not yet 21 and I've managed to get in enough trouble... That childhood stupidity coarses thru my veins. However, I choose to learn from my mistakes and not make them again.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Ok then...all is settled.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Thumbs up All the best...

Life goes on...
Old 11-18-2004, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by markpaco
Yep, he's good. And you should see how crappy he looks the morning of the race!
BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...

crap, i must look even worse after working a 12.5hr shift then coming to the track to race...

and hopefully i'll have my shiny new aluminum radiator installed by the next auto-x...that sucker cost me 520 bucks...not including 70 dollar hoses and $20 coolant...and i still ahve to go back and buy another gallon of coolant...