Looking for a shop to install mods..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 06 impreza 2.5i
Looking for a shop to install mods..

Hello. My car is a bone stock 06 2.5i. Anyways, I have enough $$ to buy my intake and pulley and I was wondering which shop is recommended for subaru's n' all. I know that my engine has to be over hauled just to install the pulley but the last thing I want is some shop that F's things up.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
i think that if you do a search you'll find that most subaru owners that don't want to do things themselves would be refered to vakamon motorsports.

why would you need your engine overhauled just to install a pulley? Are you talking about a lightened crankshaft pulley? If so then you shouldn't have to have it overhauled at all. Especially if it's a 2006 model.

Just to be clear is this a Subaru Legacy 2.5i or is it a Saab 92x 2.5i?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:05 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
^^^Agree with iNfEk "Jon"

Most of us install our own mods (we learn from each other)...but on those certain installs, Ryan and the crew and Vakamon is who I take my car to.

Just did the Cobb lightened crank shaft pulley on my cousin and my car with the help of Bobby...takes maybe 15min to do...(This is with a standard transmission).

Depending on your intake (do you really want to get one?)...it can take from 15min to 1 hour depending on which one you choose...make sure you know what you are buying...general consensus is that intakes are not too good for our cars unless you get some sort of engine management that can be tuned to your new intake, they typically will not improve your power unless you have a big turbo upgrade that requires more airflow...spend your money on something that will make a difference...

Most people start off with the engine...they usually eliminate the restricting downpipe and buy an aftermarket one...then a catback...also get rid of the factory snorkel to the intake...

If it's handling you want to tackle first, people usually pick up a rear sway bar upgrade and maybe springs/endlinks...

Last edited by Island Style; 10-09-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 07STI
those 2 mods u can do yourself its very easy...theres a DIY vid on this http://www.hspn.tv/?videoid=65&catid=1 theres 3 parts to it enjoy
Old 10-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Car Info: 06 impreza 2.5i
its an impreza 2.5i. I was going to have a friend who was going to help me install the pulley when i buy it btw i was going to buy it at cobbtuning.com but he said there isn't enough space and you gotta lift the engine. The intake would be the WR short ram. I've been getting good feedback w/ that one but they said you have to extend some vaccum hose n' all and i'm not so confident in doing those stuff.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I'll go check out Vakamon. or maybe I'll just do it myself.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
^^^there is enough room...no problem...

If you search around on the Hawaii posts, you'll see that people here have many favorite vendors that they order from...I personally have ordered from:

1. WorldOnePerformance.com
2. MauroMotorsports.com
3. KastlesKorner.com

No problems at all from any of the mentioned vendors. I recently started ordering from Myron (MyronCuz).

The pulley is very easy to change out...you just need a 6pt socket and a big breakerbar to break loose the bolt...

As far as the intake...not sure where you got your info from but I don't know anyone on the island that uses the WR shortram intake...the only intake I know of that researched the flow characteristics of the stock airbox/piping and tried to reproduce that flow is APS...they have a 65mm cold air intake that does just this. I've also used and had good luck with an AVO or GPMoto short Ram...I have a cousin and several friends that run the Injen cold air intake but they all have Protunes on their Cobb Accessports...they run hard!

The best thing I can say to do before you drop your hard earned cash on something less significant, is to come out to the meets on Thursday nights...there are many there that will be glad to open their hoods and show you what they have done...don't try and reinvent the wheel when others have already done that...spend your money wisely on "Locally" proven performance gains.

Let your modding begin!

Last edited by Island Style; 10-09-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by Island Style
If you search around on the Hawaii posts, you'll see that people here have many favorite vendors that they order from...I personally have ordered from:

1. WorldOnePerformance.com
2. MauroMotorsports.com
3. KastlesKorner.com

No problems at all from any of the mentioned vendors. I recently started ordering from Myron (MyronCuz).

The pulley is very easy to change out...you just need a 6pt socket and a big breakerbar to break loose the bolt...

As far as the intake...not sure where you got your info from but I don't know anyone on the island that uses the WR shortram intake...the only intake I know of that researched the flow characteristics of the stock airbox/piping and tried to reproduce that flow is APS...they have a 65mm cold air intake that does just this. I've also used and had good luck with an AVO or GPMoto short Ram...I have a cousin and several friends that run the Injen cold air intake but they all have Protunes on their Cobb Accessports...they run hard!

The best thing I can say to do before you drop your hard earned cash on something less significant, is to come out to the meets on Thursday nights...there are many there that will be glad to open their hoods and show you what they have done...don't try and reinvent the wheel when others have already done that...spend your money wisely on "Locally" proven performance gains.

Let your modding begin!
Yup, like Brent said about the APS......won't do a whole lot with the stock turbo. But, I'll admit, I have one and absolutely love it. I didn't feel much, if any HP gains, but I absolutely love the added sound of the turbo spoolin'! If it's power you're looking for, I'd look into a downpipe or catback exhaust, or both! I'm sending you over a PM right now, with some info on a DP that I'll be having for sale shortly. If you can wait a little bit, you can pick it up for less than you'd spend on the intake and pulley, and I can gurantee you it will give you more power. Let me know.