Look what Santa bought me

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:26 PM

Car Info: white 03 sedan
it also looks like the bosal downpipe...except bosal makes them polished stainless steel
Old 12-24-2004, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by iNfEk
you don't just need a "Mid-Pipe" you need the second half of the downpipe before you get a mid pipe...
The second half of the DP is the mid pipe. Here is a link to a WRX intake and exhaust diagram https://www.i-club.com/forums/attach...chmentid=26009.

If he buys a Stromung mid pipe from Brian at Flash N Dash and it doesn't work he will be stuck with it since Flash N Dash doesn't do exchanges or returns. When I received my Stromung intermediate pipe I wasn't happy with the design (big turbulent flex joint and a big turbulent dent for clearance) and Brian told me (in a nice way) I would need to sell it if I didn't like it. Brian is very good about answering questions honestly and in a timely fashion but I wont be buying anything from him unless I know the part I'm ordering will work with my setup. If I'm 100% sure the part I'm ordering will work and he has the best price I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him since he is IMO very honest, helpful and good about getting you your part when he says he will.

Here are some pic's of a Stromung intermediate pipe
Attached Thumbnails Look what Santa bought me-102-0220_aut.jpg   Look what Santa bought me-102-0219_aut.jpg  

Last edited by MO REX; 12-24-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
OMG, MisterX is on this board!! So do I get some discount for my lil advertisement on i-club?

The downpipe is beautiful and it was shipped faster than I expected. Keep up the good work, X!! LMK when the up pipe is available.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by misterx
Perhaps I was misunderstood. Crucial calls the "secondary downpipe", which is really the third cat, the midpipe. It's not a problem. Several manufacturers produce racepipes and third cat pipes and any one of them should bolt up. Since the Crucial DP is 3", I'd look for a 3" pipe unless you can wait a couple of weeks for our pipe to come out.

The midpipe is a bit problematic to produce because a lot of guys bolt up a cat-back and almost all of them have a unique flange. I'm sure you've noticed more than a few posts where cat backs leak. We're trying to solve that problem.

Is it just me or is the outlet on the DP an oval shape? I may be interested in buying one of these beautiful DP's to replace my TXS dp if it (coupled with either your mid pipe or a Stromung mid pipe) would bolt up to my 3" Stromung cat back. How much are you going to be asking for a catted mid pipe and are you going to be using a metallic substrate cat?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:30 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
what the hell kind of pipe is that? mine looks EXACTLY how the picture that I posted from Brians thread.

well if it comes down to it I'll take my pipe off of my car which looks NOTHING like what you received and everything like the picture posted above.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:49 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
midpipe...rear exhaust pipe same thing. don't most downpipes not require a second midpipe? thus making the rear exhaust pipe the mid pipe? anyways thats just what i understood from all this. anyways it's x-mas damn it. whoohoo!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:03 AM

Yeah... mine is a short pipe, so it needs another piece to form "Voltron." Xmas baby!!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:57 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
Voltron!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 01:22 AM

Damn right, Voltron!! I still have the toy... somewhere in the attic...
Old 12-25-2004, 04:07 AM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by MO REX
Is it just me or is the outlet on the DP an oval shape? I may be interested in buying one of these beautiful DP's to replace my TXS dp if it (coupled with either your mid pipe or a Stromung mid pipe) would bolt up to my 3" Stromung cat back. How much are you going to be asking for a catted mid pipe and are you going to be using a metallic substrate cat?

It's not complete yet. When it's done, you'll be among the first to know.

We're planning a couple of new tricks with the pipe and won't say much more until it's ready to go. The race pipe version will be coated inside and out, just like our DP. Nobody else coats their pipes the way we do - inside and out. Our coating reduces metal fatique, corrosion, and maintains exhaust gas velocity. Keeping the heat out of the metal and in the exhaust gas is important to performance. Just coating the outside of the pipe doesn't accomplish that.

The Catted version will be metal. We're not big fans of ceramic cat material. The catted version will not be coated on the inside, at least. I'm not even sure about the outside because of the cat. If you're going all out, why fool with a cat? Personally, I saved my stock DP and cat pipe so I can pass emissions. You can change them out in a matter of an hour or so after you've done the job a few times.

Here's the low down on our coating method:

"Both the Crucial Racing Systems UpPipe and DownPipe are coated on the inside and outside with the highest quality metallic-ceramic thermal protective barrier available today. It is rated at 2000 F, but at 2400 F the coating still retains its integrity. This coating keeps under-hood temperatures noticeably lower and maintains higher exhaust gas velocity, since hotter gasses move faster. Extreme care is taken during the coating application process to ensure that the coating is applied consistently and will never fail. This process has 6 steps to it. Below are the 6 steps used to create our coating:

The exhaust is baked to extract resins left over in the welds and pipe from the welding process. This helps reduce the internal stresses in the metal.
The pipe is hi-pressure Glass Bead* blasted on the inside and outside. This media blasting technique smoothes any irregularities on the pipe and welds. It produces a “honing” effect.
The pipe is blasted on the inside and outside with Virgin Aluminum Oxide**. This makes the coating adhere to the pipes better, as well as further smoothing the pipe.
The pipe is coated with our 2000 F high performance coating on the inside and outside of the pipe.
The pipe is again baked so that the coating can cure. This makes the coating last much longer then it would otherwise.
The pipe's now-cured coating is polished. This makes the coating more resilient to damage, and improves its visual appeal.
Blasting Media Information:

*Glass Beads are manufactured from high-grade glass. It is a popular abrasive in wet and dry blast cleaning applications. Glass Bead perform smooth, bright and shining surface compare to other blasting abrasive. This is always recommended to the bright and smooth surface requirement needed. The products commonly used in mould cleaning, Auto parts surface finishing and it is used also for shot peening like aircraft components to increase the fatigue strength.

**Aluminium Oxide is Sharp angular abrasive, This product perform fast cutting an matt surface finishing. It is commonly used in surface preparation for coating, Remove of rust, Surface cleaning, Remove of paint, Glass Etching, Deburing, Descaling and etc."

The final finish is almost slick. Every batch is different in a subtle way because there are so many variables including humidity and the particular batch of coating material. Unless you see coated pipes on a daily basis, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. But I see them every day. Sometimes the finish is like teflon, others are duller. In any case, it doesn't matter that much because they still get that carbon build up on the interior of the pipe we're all so familiar with.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last edited by misterx; 12-25-2004 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:16 AM
VIP Member

INfEk
Its an intermediate pipe (the front section of a cat back). When I bought it I thought I was going to get the pipe pictured on your post but Stromung changed the design so I'm stuck with this pipe.

Last edited by MO REX; 12-25-2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:32 PM

MisterX <-- now that's one man who takes his thermal coating very seriously!! I can't wait to put the DP on!! :banana:
Old 12-26-2004, 02:23 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
shweet chucky...hawt damn is it going on b4 the new year????
Old 12-26-2004, 02:58 AM

hahaha... I was planning to do it next year after my 19,000 miles service... but with my second job... and more than usual driving... I might put it on the end of 2004... hahaha!! I'm already past 19,000 miles... @@$%
Old 02-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
I just read a sales pitch form a vendor who said exhaust coating and the resulting "trapping" heat in the exhaust is bad.

BS. That is all.