lightened flywheel qs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:04 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Question lightened flywheel qs.

Why is a flywheel too light not good for our cars and how light is light? What weight is the ideal weight?
Old 04-20-2003, 04:08 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Too light could cause misfire CEL's.

Too light could make it harder to drive in everyday driving.

Too light and it could make launching a little harder then your used to.

Of course, everything is "it could do this..." and each car/driver is different. so YMMV.

If you want to play it safe, get an exedy flywheel at 13.5lbs it's almost fool proof. I just purchased an 11.5lbs flywheel(different brand) though and we'll see how that goes
Old 04-20-2003, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
BUY CHROMOLY!

Save yourself the headaches of some aluminum flywheels.

San
Old 04-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
I had the JUN Lightweight flywheel, ... I wish I had bought the JUN Ultra-Lightweight Flywheel.

There is a Pre-June 2001 clutch for the WRX, and also a Pre-June 2001 flywheel. Just make sure you get the right one. I don't know what clutch you have now, ... Ed can probably tell you.(That car however, is a Pre-June 2001 car)
If you buy a clutch and flywheel at the same time, you can get either, just make sure 'they' go together (ie. both pre-june01 or both post june01) ~ Supposedly, some flywheels will work with both clutches, ... ie. the Exedy.

Here are just a few weights I found for flywheels for the WRX (Taken from Manufacture's websites, except for the Exedy, taken from Z-1 Auto's site):
Fidanza Flywheel - 9.5 lbs (Aluminum/high carbon, alloy steel)
JUN Lightweight - 11.9 lbs (the one I had, Chromoly Steel)
JUN Ultra-Lightweight - 10.14 lbs (Chromoly Steel)
Exedy Flywheel - 12.79 lbs (Billet Steel)
Cobb Tunning(don't know who really makes it) - 13.5 lbs (Chromoly Steel)
Toda Flywheel - 10.14 lbs (Chromoly Steel)

The Fidanza seems to be a good choice, b/c of cost, and the friction surface is replaceable. Most lightweight flywheels you can only resurface once, if at all. I did have my JUN Lightweight resurfaced once (or Mike did when I gave it to him), and I think it barely was able to be done.

With Any flywheel, I HIGHLY recommend an aftermarket clutch. The stock wrx clutch isn't strong enough to hold a lightened flywheel under heavy stress, ... IT WILL SLIP LIKE A WET *****!! Plus, if you're swapping flywheels, it's a good time to change your clutch anyway. BUT, under 'normal' driving, the stock clutch will hold it fine, ... just not for racing (drag racing, hard lauches at autox, getting stuck in the sand , etc).

Anybody who says a lightened flywheel is a "bad thing", .... doesn't know wtf they are talking about, or has never "owned" one. (Or, they're just a f*cking *****!)
It Does take a little getting used to, you have to rev the engine a bit more from a stop, etc, etc, .... but it's not difficult at all, and is definitely worth it! Your driving experience will be forever changed!

Mitch is right about the CEL, ... you may, or may not get one from a lightened flywheel, ... when I had one in your car, ... I got a CEL most of the time. But I never found out if it was only the flywheel causing it.
Also, the Exedy flywheel does seem like a good compromise of weight and $Price$. If you're not worried about it, go for a JUN or Fidanza.

Last edited by Nolimit; 04-21-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Sean,

Excellent post.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Where is my beer?

Thanks Pat

just thought I'd add what flywheel I would try next, ... it'd be the Fidanza. The cost is real low, and so is the weight. I'd choose this one now since I've already had the Jun that weighed 11 pounds, and I'm 'used' to dealing with the lightweight flywheel properties.

and for what it's worth, ... in Every car I own that I modify, ... I will Definitely use a lightened flywheel. It just makes that big of a difference.

Sean
Old 04-21-2003, 02:30 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Searching on google I can find no chromoly vs aluminum debates. But I do hear that aluminum flywheels cannot take the heat of daily driving. Is this true?

Perhaps it's an AWD thing and we just have to have chromoly.. But the rest of the FWD world gets by with aluminum...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:53 AM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Thumbs up

Wow you guys really know your stuff! Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:33 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by Chibby Goku
Wow you guys really know your stuff! Thanks a bunch!
God no lie... Gotta love these guys...
Old 04-21-2003, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Any good data about the Toda?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Where is my beer?

Talking

Originally posted by gpatmac
Any good data about the Toda?
Toda Gooooooooooood!

... I'll find more info later
Old 04-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Where is my beer?

Toda Flywheel = 10.14 lbs (Chromoly Steel) = msrp $450

check out their site, ... Here's what you can do with that block you have Pat!! http://www.todaracing.com/products/s...wrx/index.html
Old 04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Aluminum Scares me. It just does. I don't like the idea of having that much force being applied to a metal that undergoes such extreme density changes with temperature. Also, aluminum will hold the heat longer (take longer to cool down).
Chromoly is strong and dissapates heat much more.
Obviously the aluminum flywheels work because people are using them. However not all are without problems. The friction surfaces and ring gear are rivetted on. This creates weak points. The chromoly flywheels like the exedy are one piece(not three) and therefore are safer. I think safety is a big key. None of us have had problems with the aluminum ones, BUT none of use have put a lot of miles on them either. Sean had to have his resurfaced before he gave it to mike... how many miles will it last you?

I recommend Chromoly

As far as driving is concerned. I love it. Honestly, I've stalled the car a bit more with the new flywheel, but that's only because I wasn't paying attention with the radio cranked and three friends in the car. oooops.
Lightened flywheels allow the engine to coast down faster and therefore make shifting easier and faster. They also reduce the shock on the transmission during a shift, but they let more to the transmission while accelerating. It's give and take there.

Acceleration kicks ***!

when buying a clutch, make sure the friction plate has a SPRUNG HUB. Unsprung hubs transmit TONS of shock to your transmission and lead to premature failure. And we all know we need all the help we can get when it comes to our trannys.

Also, get a grippier clutch... but not too grippy. ON/OFF switch clutches are really really bad. I rather replace a 300 dollar clutch than a 3000 dollar tranny.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Damn that Toda is light!

And chromoly too. My APS is 3+ pounds heavier and cost about the same. Anybody have any clutch recommendations? I'm kinda leaning towards Exedy.

San
Old 04-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Where is my beer?

The Fidanza aluminum flywheel has held up to Tremendous Abuse in some turbo'd Integra's that I know of. And it's price is nice!

I had about 5-10k on my JUN chromoly flywheel when it was taken out. It had heat spots like a *****. It got those b/c the clutch I had (Don't buy an RPS clutch!) sucked!! and slipped bad right from the first drag launch. You may, or may not, be able to resurface any aftermarket flywheel by the time you take your tranny back apart for whatevers.

Here's a bit of info I PM'd a 'really fast Suby owner' about clutches, ... not whole lot of info, but a start:
"For the money, an ACT Pressure Plate and a full face (street) disk is a good choice. You can get a full clutch kit under $500. www.advancedclutch.com

Clutch Masters have nice kits, I have personally had the best experience with a stage 4 kit on my Integra. But a Stage 3 kit is all you'd want on a WRX b/c you don't want to break any gears! The price on the stage 3 is lie $700 something!! ... so that kinda sucks! You can probably find it a bit cheaper though. www.clutchmasters.com

Centerforce's Dual Friction clutch is supposed to be really nice too, ... but I think that caries a heafty price as well (msrp is $712, but I'm sure people sell it for a lot less) The dual friction clutches have a nice pedal feel, not to hard at all, and a lot of holding power. I drove an Integra with this clutch, and it felt like a stock clutch, ... except it held on tight!!

The Exedy clutch is supposed to be pretty good too, I haven't heard very much at all about them personally.
There are other good ones out there, but I'd probably get one of these. Some companies have a carbon/kevlar full face (street) disk which is a better wearing material, and can hold up to heat exposure better.

Whenever you decide to get a clutch, ... you might want to think about doing a flywheel at the same time. A lot of people will give you a "package deal". I always look at www.groupbuycenter.com when I'm trying to find something. Some companies on there suck, but you'll proabably recognize some of the good ones. They usually don't list WRX specific stuff, but if they carry a brand, they can usully get good prices for WRX stuff too."

Quick Reply: lightened flywheel qs.