LCA bushings for LGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
LCA bushings for LGT

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any shop that can install a set of SuperPro LCA Bushings (high offset) for an '05 Legacy GT?

http://www.turninconcepts.com/produc...roducts_id=335

I took my car to Vakamon today, but they were unable to do it. Apparently you need to do wheel alignments before starting the job & take note of castor settings. Once the LCA is off, you need to align the bushing in the control arms so that the hole in the bushing is positioned to give the desired castor result. They were going to charge $175, but didn't realize they needed to do the alignment so they referred me to Pacific Automotive & Performance where Ryan now works full-time (they told me he does still do some jobs over at Vakamon).

I'm waiting to hear on their quote... but in the meantime I'd like to see what other options are available.

Thanks in advance...

Chris
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Just to follow-up....

I spoke with my brother who knows a s**tload more about cars than I will ever know.... and he asked why I was changing the LCA bushings. My reply was that I've read that people who lower their cars tend to have problems with the OEM LCA bushing tearing (for the LGT's anyway). And I figured since I want to start auto-crossing more, this would be a good thing to do anyway. I know it won't really do anything performance-wise.

With all of the costs involved (alignment, finding a shop that has a bushing press, etc) he said he personally would just wait until the bushings bust before doing the change. He doesn't think it's worthy the $ to do it as a preventive measure.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
I have no clue how the setup is for the Legacy, but can you access the bolt that holds this particular bushing you're speaking of?

The "proper" way to lower the car would include loosening all the control arm bushings, setting the vehicle on the ground, then re-tightening them all, but no one has the time or tools to. Not to mention some bushings are a total pain to get to.

If you can get to the bolt that secures the bushing, you can basically save your bushing from any extra wear and tear by loosening the bolt, lowering the car, and then re-tightening them all.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Yea Ryan is one of the best mechanics i know so I would go with his advice

Last edited by 04silverWRXSTI; 03-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by caterpill
I have no clue how the setup is for the Legacy, but can you access the bolt that holds this particular bushing you're speaking of?

The "proper" way to lower the car would include loosening all the control arm bushings, setting the vehicle on the ground, then re-tightening them all, but no one has the time or tools to. Not to mention some bushings are a total pain to get to.

If you can get to the bolt that secures the bushing, you can basically save your bushing from any extra wear and tear by loosening the bolt, lowering the car, and then re-tightening them all.
+10000000

not alot of people understand what happens to your control arm bushings when they lower their car, so they dont do this..
Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by caterpill

Thanks for that advice... I'll try & take a look when I change my oil this weekend.

My friend just pointed out that technically, the higher caster (since the bushings I ordered were offset) would actually affect performance a little. So, perhaps I will have to get someone to do this install if I cannot accomplish what was suggested above.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:02 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
the increased caster angle will give your vehicle a better straight line performance...its usually how we setup an alignment for drag spec....everything in spec with more on the positive caster...

i would just use your stock bushings...sometimes installing a stiffer harder bushing brings in a lot of other NVH's (noise vibration harshness)along with the new bushings...you usually sacrifice something for performance....isnt that how it usually goes...
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 AM

I want to get these bushings but will hold out as long as i can since they're not needed that much IMHO unless you need to extract that last ounce of performance out of your suspension. That money you spend on it, could go toward your AutoX fees instead. I'd just worry more about gettin better at driving the car before you do anything like that.

My bushings still hold up fine and i've done countless autox events throughout Ohio as well as trackdays. If you must spend money, get more tires!!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Saul_Goode
I want to get these bushings but will hold out as long as i can since they're not needed that much IMHO unless you need to extract that last ounce of performance out of your suspension. That money you spend on it, could go toward your AutoX fees instead. I'd just worry more about gettin better at driving the car before you do anything like that.

My bushings still hold up fine and i've done countless autox events throughout Ohio as well as trackdays. If you must spend money, get more tires!!

Points well taken... thanks for the input.

The shop I took my car to for an estimate called me back today... and they quoted me $502.

I THINK I'll have to pass & do this install when my OEM bushings give way.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by substitude
Points well taken... thanks for the input.

The shop I took my car to for an estimate called me back today... and they quoted me $502.

I THINK I'll have to pass & do this install when my OEM bushings give way.
$502??? WOW! That's just for the bushing install?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 808subaru
$502??? WOW! That's just for the bushing install?
Crazy huh?

($120/hr labor x3 hours) + $120 (alignment) + tax

Anyone happen to have access to a bushing press?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by substitude
Crazy huh?

($120/hr labor x3 hours) + $120 (alignment) + tax

Anyone happen to have access to a bushing press?
Chris,
I have read on the LGT forums of people just using a bench press and a hammer.
let me see if i can find it.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM

I couldn't find the directions, but that qoute was on par with what some has paid.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by 808subaru
I couldn't find the directions, but that qoute was on par with what some has paid.
Thanks for checking Chris... I guess I'll have to put these on the shelf & cross that bridge whenever the need presents itself. I didn't realize how expensive this upgrade would be when I purchaed the bushings from TIC. I'm considering just selling them on LGT forums, even if the guys at Vakamon already opened the package.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 AM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
That quote from Pacific Automotive? They are expensive but know what they are doing and will work with you. They will give you discount if you mention ForumsHawaii. I got work done by them and they do it right. You got to pay to play,...

But, a block of wood and maybe a large vise might work on a strong table (if manually done) and long torque bar??