Kartboy Short Shifter...front and rear bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 AM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
brent i just ordered the following:

1.custco shifter bushings
2.Zerosports Replica Splitter + Shroud
3.whiteline steering bushings

umm i waiting for the shipping price on my new grill...but after i get everything in imma be needing some help installing..lol...well i got around 500 bucks to spend so i'll be shopping around for some stuff...eh the cold air ?..
Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
wow...shopping is right...

Originally Posted by hayn_wrx
brent i just ordered the following:

1.custco shifter bushings
2.Zerosports Replica Splitter + Shroud
3.whiteline steering bushings

umm i waiting for the shipping price on my new grill...but after i get everything in imma be needing some help installing..lol...well i got around 500 bucks to spend so i'll be shopping around for some stuff...eh the cold air ?..
Cold air...what you got going on? Not trying to duck out on you Nevin...you gotta believe me...man, I am strapped for time...the kids are taking all of my free time...my god...

I'll PM ya soon...

Looks like you have some goodies going on...the steering bushings also caught my attention...better get someone who has done them before to help...I'd be interested in that install...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:56 AM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
ya no prob...just let me know when u have time..hehe...ya i'll find some if not host an install day...i dont know what to get next...darn..
Old 08-09-2005, 01:02 AM

Car Info: cars
the short shifter and bushings install for the sti are harder than on the wrx.

wrx = 30 minutes max.
sti = 45 minutes (or longer if you can't get the reverse lock-out pin back in). also the front bushing on the sti seems a little harder to get out than the wrx since the lockout cable can get in the way.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 AM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Originally Posted by Island Style
STI Short Shifter
Front bushings
Rear bushings

$235 + $3shipping = $238
Hey brent,

I am more interested in the bushings (F and/ or R), but not the short shifter.

Pmed you!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:13 AM

Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
Just installed the front and rear shifter bushings on Monday night. Took me and my cousin about 1 hour. Wasn't too difficult except for working in cramped quarters. Made the shifter feel more 'positive' less 'mushy' for lack of a better description. I think it made an improvement in shifter 'feel'.

Installed short shifter on Tuesday night, took about an hour to do. I think the hardest part was reinstalling the pin that holds the reverse lock out cable. (difficult to get pin started and keep holes/cable lined up). I don't know if I like the feel of the short shifter yet. It definitely decreased the throw, but now it feels more 'notchy' and requires more effort to shift. I'm debating whether to reinstall the stock sti shifter. I'll give it a few weeks to see if I like it or hate it, then decide. As of right now I would recommend the front/rear bushing install, but the jury's still out on the short shifter.

If you need help with the install just let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Steve
Old 08-11-2005, 09:25 AM

Hmmm....this is a thought....

Originally Posted by sykosis
I did not like the short shifter because it puts your hand in a wierd position if you have the armrest extension. Something to consider if you want comfort. To me armrest extension > short shifter

I did think about getting the armrest extension...looks pretty comfortable...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:30 AM

Hey Steve...

Originally Posted by ReleaseDaKraken
Just installed the front and rear shifter bushings on Monday night. Took me and my cousin about 1 hour. Wasn't too difficult except for working in cramped quarters. Made the shifter feel more 'positive' less 'mushy' for lack of a better description. I think it made an improvement in shifter 'feel'.

Installed short shifter on Tuesday night, took about an hour to do. I think the hardest part was reinstalling the pin that holds the reverse lock out cable. (difficult to get pin started and keep holes/cable lined up). I don't know if I like the feel of the short shifter yet. It definitely decreased the throw, but now it feels more 'notchy' and requires more effort to shift. I'm debating whether to reinstall the stock sti shifter. I'll give it a few weeks to see if I like it or hate it, then decide. As of right now I would recommend the front/rear bushing install, but the jury's still out on the short shifter.

If you need help with the install just let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Steve

thanks for the informative reply...Norris and I were just talking about scenario of just adding the bushings rather than changing everything...makes me really think now if I want the short shifter...I need to see how it feels...when I saw Blake and Myron shifting their vehicles with the engine off, I could see that there was considerably more resistance and effort while shifting and could really hear the notchiness...wish I would have tried it then...

In the meantime, both Norris and I will be ordering soon and may need your help...so thanks for the offer...and keep us updated on your view of the short shifter...

Brent