just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 AM

Car Info: white wrx 04 sadan 5-speed
just wondering

wup guys. i just took some turns tonight with some friends and found that my car needs better handling. i was wondering what i should do next. i already have HKS susp. and strut bars but i need more. soon i will be getting Sti rims. i was thinking about getting front and rear sway bars. what do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails just wondering-digital-camera-008.jpg  

Last edited by russellfujii; 08-04-2005 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 AM

Car Info: Justy
Rear sway bar will help.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:15 AM

thanks a lot. maybe ill go with cusco
Old 08-04-2005, 08:36 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Look into the Perrin as well...

I got the rear Perrin SB, they come with heavy duty mounts...3 way adjustable for WRX and 2 way for STI...I also got their endlinks...

Check out Vakamon...see Ryan...I think they still have a set of the Perrin WRX Rear SB on sale...$225? Remember, this price includes the Heavy duty sb brackets...

We just did my cousins as well...he is all stock (springs/struts) and I had TEIN Flex and now Prodrive springs...it makes a dramatic difference in handling...I just recently added front and rear Cusco Strut bars as well...tightened everything up even more...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Rear sway bar will definitely help. Don't worry about the front because a bigger front sway will negate the effects of the aftermarket rear sway. Good luck. Perrin & Cusco are good choices.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:51 AM

thanks guys i think i will go with the sway bars
Old 08-05-2005, 02:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
Just a reminder subarus with stiff suspension and bigger rear swaybar have a tendency to step out on you in the corner when you lift throttle or hit the brakes. If your at speed in the corner or its wet theres a high possibility of spinning out and getting really hairy (the rear does this whip back and forth thing). The problem is when you lift throttle in the corner the cars weight transfer to the front making the backend light. To prevent this you either have to stay in the throttle at least part way or add weight to the rear like putting the battery in the trunk and taking whatever weight you can off the nose of the car. just my opinion.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:03 AM

Car Info: 1999 Mazda Miata
are your STI rims coming w/ the stock tires? if so, your car should handle a ton better right there! but if you want even more, id recommend Hotchkis competition sway bar set...front and rear sways w/ good endlinks
Old 08-06-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by curbait
Just a reminder subarus with stiff suspension and bigger rear swaybar have a tendency to step out on you in the corner when you lift throttle or hit the brakes. If your at speed in the corner or its wet theres a high possibility of spinning out and getting really hairy (the rear does this whip back and forth thing). The problem is when you lift throttle in the corner the cars weight transfer to the front making the backend light. To prevent this you either have to stay in the throttle at least part way or add weight to the rear like putting the battery in the trunk and taking whatever weight you can off the nose of the car. just my opinion.
last week i took a loop and it was wet and spun out right by aloha stadium going town bound, right were the freeway splits, to airport and redhill. what if i got a bigger front sway bar also? thanks for the advice
Old 08-07-2005, 03:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
Originally Posted by russellfujii
i just took some turns tonight with some friends
"took some turns"???? street racing!!! speeding!!! unacceptable!!!

well anyway...i was just wondering...what are your plans with your car?? are you going to track your car? (ex. auto-x, superlap, track days)...

not to sound like an ***....but i'd like to know before i can make any suggestions on "what you should get"....

Last edited by .:: 808 STi ::.; 08-08-2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:06 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
go for the rsb with endlinks, and some good tires. if you want a lil bit more in the steering, the steering rack bushings are pretty cheap, Sooooooo fun to install too
Old 08-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
Russ, just a couple more things: 1 Tire choice, not all high traction tires work well in the rain know what your getting. 2. Tire pressure is critical when I lost it I was probable only going about 40 mph but my tire pressure was too high. If your tire pressure is too high the car will feel skitish in the rain. If your tire pressure is ok battery in the trunk does make a difference. Always ease up to the limit never comin hot and think your gonna live thru it. These cars are great but you gotta know what it can and cannot do. Autocross is excellent for this. As far as cornering goes tires make the biggest difference then if its understeering go bigger on the rear sway bar. To me stiffer struts don't make it corner faster but it does make it feel a whole lot more stable.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by curbait
just a couple more things: 1 Tire choice, not all high traction tires work well in the rain know what your getting. 2. Tire pressure is critical when I lost it I was probable only going about 40 mph but my tire pressure was too high. If your tire pressure is too high the car will feel skitish in the rain. If your tire pressure is ok battery in the trunk does make a difference. Always ease up to the limit never comin hot and think your gonna live thru it. .
walt! you're posting!

very true thing about tire pressure- for a while i was bullheaded about tire pressure(keepin em at 40 for a while) now i have been playing around a lil bit- very interesting when you change up!

in regards to understeer vs. oversteer. me personally i prefer to have oversteer because i'm willing to keep my foot on the throttle(even if i'm coming a lil hot)
if i'm not mistaken understeer is good in a way(for newer drivers) because generally it's a little easier to correct (as long as you're not entering the turn like a bat outta hell!)
only bad thing is you will lose speed-

this past year i have learned a lot about how our cars handle- i have seen so many people mod their cars in search of that "awesome" car- not knowing that what they were looking for was already in their hands.... and for me- i have yet to master a "stock" car

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*

Last edited by gdogg; 08-07-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
So basically the rear sway bar will help with the understeer issue that I heard the USDM wrx's have?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2005 wrx
rear swaybar and good tires

Quick Reply: just wondering