Just passed Recon...Phew!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Just passed Recon...Phew!

Hey everyone,

Just got back from Recon...passed no problem...took the advice of several members like Roy and others...Thanks for the tips...

Nice guys down there...keep it nice by acting nice...

Coilovers, wheels, and exhaust...only needed it for the coilovers but when I asked the guy about the wheels and exhaust, even though I didn't need it, he said it was better if it was written down on the paper that I did modified the exhaust and wheels rather than not see it on paper and have the police office further investigate the vehicle...

Best tips:

1. Make sure you measure the front license plate...from the ground to the bottom of the license plate needs to be 12". Roy was going to let me borrow his plate relocator but I just went down to City Mill, found two brackets...paid $1.50 and increased the height of my license plate in about 1 minute...looks good enough to just leave it that way...If anyone want to see it...let me know.

2. bounce test...they will try to compress your coilover/struts...I just set my EDFC to 16, drove it there (because I always have it set like on 6F/4R)...let it soften up and it passed no problem...

3. I had my stock STI exhaust on there and he thought it was aftermarket...like the TRD one for Toyota...anyhow, I told him it was stock but I just agreed with him and he added it to the Recon paperwork. I told him I was going to put a cat-back on it anyhow...B&B goes back on tonight...unless someone is still interested in it.

4. Wheels...my Gram Lights were only 1" bigger in diameter than the stock...no problem but it was added to the Recon paper...

5. They did lift the hood up. If you have a Short Ram or Cold Air Intake, you better have it secured well with a bracket...mine was, no problem. They also look at the exhaust and BOV...get those heat shields on and don't get the eye catching BOV's...

Thats about it...like I said, it went as pleasantly as it could...kind of nerve racking if you ask me...don't like to do it...(this is my second time, the first was with my Toyota Tundra 3 years ago).

Last edited by Island Style; 06-23-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
i just stripped all 6 windows of my car this morning so i can get recon.. actually, i dont have to down.. i met a guy that works there and he said he can just meet up with me and give it to me then and there.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:20 PM

Car Info: Justy
Congrats!!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I had to get recon on a car and I agree just go down there shake your head in agreement and it'll go smooth. I went knowing I had some things needing fixed but I wanted to hear from them how they would like to see it fixed went home fixed problems myself went back and got the sticker no problems. Only pain was waiting in line behind all the taxi's when it was first come first serve..
Old 06-23-2005, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 2001 BRP RSTi
A few questions:

1) Where is the recon place I looked in the phone book but I cant even find the phone number, guess im just stupid.

2) I heard you had to make an appointment, but from the last post that doesnt sound true can someone confirm that?

3)You need recon before you can get saftey check sticker right?

Thanks for the answers in advance guys!

-TIM
Old 06-23-2005, 07:22 PM

1) Where is the recon place I looked in the phone book but I cant even find the phone number, guess im just stupid.

It's at the end of King Street...under the highway. King St. kind of comes to an end...at some point, there are two lanes that suck you into turning left...stay in the third lane...go beyond the island under the highway (This is where recon is), then take a left then immediately left into the fenced in area...

2) I heard you had to make an appointment, but from the last post that doesnt sound true can someone confirm that?

Yes you do, and it took me 2 1/2 weeks in advance to make an appointment...in the meantime, of course my 30 days had elapsed on the Alignment papers (but they said it was ok) due to the fact that the appointments were so backed up.

3)You need recon before you can get saftey check sticker right?

Yes, if you need it. If you do a search, there are some wise members here that have listed items you need recon for. I don't have the phone number right now...but someone should and will post here I am sure...
Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Sorry you do need to make a appointment when I went through it it was first come first served. I think due to the large amount of taxi's is why they went to appointment's.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Congrats!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:51 PM

Location: mr. police officer,im not as think as you drunk i am....
Car Info: 02 wrx
Originally Posted by myroncuz
i just stripped all 6 windows of my car this morning so i can get recon.. actually, i dont have to down.. i met a guy that works there and he said he can just meet up with me and give it to me then and there.
damn....could i go with you so i could get mine as well...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
i just got my recon a few days ago also. did you guys know that the safety/recon stickers can't be directly under the license plate? i have a little bracket that is under it, but he let me pass anyway. said to just move it after. nice guys.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 AM

I need to get me one of those brackets...

I will be going in to renew my registration in August...and I need to relocate the stickers from my bumper to a bracket...need one...where did you guys pick yours up?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
eurosport or razor. not sure if david (hongyboi) has at his shop. but just go there and tell him dale sent you, he'll hook you up :-P
Old 06-24-2005, 04:04 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
hehe, or sheet metal and metal shears

Custom!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:08 AM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
I'm going to get recon for me car shortly.......Do you think 18" rims will pass recon???? stocks are 16"......I have the alignment on my car made with the 18's on the car and I have the alignment papers....Is that all I need when It comes to the rims for recon?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 AM

I believe so...

I don't think you need an affadavit anymore for wheels or exhaust...I would call Recon though...prior to you going there about the 18" rims so they don't ask you for more...

sorry to hear about your experience man...that really sucks how they treated you...

On the paper, I put down as modified:

Wheels: They just asked for the tire size...front and rear 225x40x18
Exhaust: I just put down STI STainless Steel (generic for any cat back pretty much)
Suspension: TEIN Flex ~1" drop

Quick Reply: Just passed Recon...Phew!