Interesting info: APS Exhaust/Cobb Exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Lightbulb Interesting info: APS Exhaust/Cobb Exhaust....

Well, I took apart my APS 3.5" system today at the rear axle junction. I picked up a Cobb cbe this weekend from Roddy...at first glance, it looked as though the axle back portion of the Cobb would mate up with the APS...at least I hoped it would...so ensued the experiment...

Although the APS uses 3.5" piping all the way through, the flange on the Cobb (3") and the APS flange bolt hole to bolt hole was identical distance wise! The dimensions of the flange themselves were very similar...

The distance between the two bolt holes center to center was about 4.25"...just a quick measurement...it was getting dark and I was getting bit all over by those dang mosquitoes...

Anyhow, so the bolts holes were the same, unfortunately, the two pieces were about 7degrees different in rotation...(yes I'm guessing...) maybe 7.5 degrees...heh heh...

too bad, it would have worked awesome...so my next decision...should I have an exhaust shop cut the pipe on the Cobb, rotate it, and reweld it back together so that it lines up with my APS 3.5" dp/midpipe section?

Damn dilemnas...

BTW...I am doing this because at times, although I really like the way the APS performs, it gets a bit loud for my tastes...and the silencer really restricts the exhaust flow...The Cobb is known to be one of the quieter exhausts on the market...I figure I would get the best of both worlds...Performance and a decent sound level...I want to keep the APS axle back portion for those days/weeks/months when I feel "LOUD"...heh heh

Last edited by Island Style; 09-11-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 AM

It's done!

Ryan and Vakamon does it again!

So I took my car in on Friday to have the Cobb retrofitted...

Ryan ended up having to weld in another piece of piping to make it fit properly, but it is on now and looks like it was made for the APS...Ryan is one of the few people I trust my car with...

Soundwise I am very happy...it's a little louder than a stock sti catback with an aftermarket downpipe...I attribute this to the resonator in the APS mid-pipe, the Cobb does not have a resonator in the mid-pipe, so I believe it is quieter than the stock Cobb cat-back...

Anyhow, prior to this, when I put the restrictive silencer in my APS to let my ringing ears heal...I would lose so much power...with this new exhaust...I have most if not all the power of my APS without the loud noise...I'll probably miss the roar and change it back after a few months, but at least now, I have that option...
Old 09-17-2006, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
^^sweet, can't wait to hear what it sounds like.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Niiice! I was there on Friday getting my sway bar problem fixed. What time did you go down there Brent?

Last edited by 49_STi; 09-17-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM

Justin...it's pretty quiet...not sure what you would think...

Roel...I took my car there at around 11am...picked it up at around 3:30pm...

Yeah...it's nice...almost too quiet though...I do like the fact that it hasn't seemed to have lost any power...

good to have your car back eh?

Originally Posted by 49_STi
Niiice! I was there on Friday getting my sway bar problem fixed. What time did you go down there Brent?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM

what diameter piping did you use to fill in the gap? was it ss or mild steel? i need to do something similar with mine.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Yeah my cars back and its super stiff and bumpy. Although they did good work they sprayed my titanium strut bar a bit with paint hopefully I can sand it off. Yeah just missed ya when I left at 3 to see if ryan could work on it, then came back at 5 when there was space. Also saw the GC8 sti swap really nice and loud!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM

Hey Justin...

Originally Posted by 91sleeper
what diameter piping did you use to fill in the gap? was it ss or mild steel? i need to do something similar with mine.
My plumbing goes from a 3.5" midpipe to a 3" axle back...so Ryan just used a straight piece of 3" SS piping...nice work on Ryan's part...I'm very happy, and I still spool up really hard...
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM

Yeah...that GC was awesome!

Yeah my cars back and its super stiff and bumpy. Although they did good work they sprayed my titanium strut bar a bit with paint hopefully I can sand it off. Yeah just missed ya when I left at 3 to see if ryan could work on it, then came back at 5 when there was space. Also saw the GC8 sti swap really nice and loud!
What a sleeper...GC on the outside...STI under the skin! Thing looks fast...Nice to have your car back eh?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 PM

Spray paint on your strut bar!? I'm not sure if we painted anything on your car, but if we did get paint where it's not supposed to be, just swing by and I'll take care of it. Sorry about that!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM

yo ryan, when can you fix up mine? i need the same thing done, just 2.5" to 2". idk how difficult it would be as my track pipe is mild steel and my cat back is ss. LMK so i can come by. L8R
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM

For you? Neber! Just kidding, call me dude.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM

^^will do
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Wrong shop Ryan yeah its not you guys who sprayed my strut bar its the body shop that did my body work when I got into an accident (Sig's Auto). But Ryan if you can help me out that would be great.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:37 AM

^^take it back to who did the damage. the shop needs to fix it's own mistakes, just like ryan was offering to do.

Quick Reply: Interesting info: APS Exhaust/Cobb Exhaust....