Interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:47 PM

Car Info: cars
jon, i know you have an auto, but i thought you were looking for a conparison between the 5mt and 6mt.

the difference between the two is personal preference. traffic didn't really bother me when i had an auto and it doesn't bother me now. in traffic i usually just keep it in 2nd (unless i have to speed up/slow down) and cruise. you can't go faster than the guy infront of you anyway.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i have to say this-

why is it that we always get caught up in a car rat race? i think another member has brought this up to some degree(RAGEWRX). why is it that people in hawaii spend so much money on cars and rent their whole life?? i mean its pointless to get caught up in this kind of thinking. buy a house.

jon you are blessed with an awesome car- i say pay it off. and just buy parts for it versus spending more money on a new car. this post is not directed to you(esp. if u already have a house)... but lately i have been kinda fed up with some of the local mentality when it comes to money management. this may seem ironic considering i sell cars--- but i think its unwise to take out a whole new loan on a car that will just depreciate...considering that you already have a car that dominates the majority of us out there.

thats my $.02

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna Kea-^-*
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Hey Jon my wife took it to the store but we could meet up maybe tommrow. Everything is for sale for the right price plus I like your car I can watch a movie in it...OH and I also like the sidemarkers. I have no problem letting people use or borrow things of mine but you break it you bought it .

Last edited by silver satin; 11-17-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by gdogg
i have to say this-

why is it that we always get caught up in a car rat race? i think another member has brought this up to some degree(RAGEWRX). why is it that people in hawaii spend so much money on cars and rent their whole life?? i mean its pointless to get caught up in this kind of thinking. buy a house.

jon you are blessed with an awesome car- i say pay it off. and just buy parts for it versus spending more money on a new car. this post is not directed to you(esp. if u already have a house)... but lately i have been kinda fed up with some of the local mentality when it comes to money management. this may seem ironic considering i sell cars--- but i think its unwise to take out a whole new loan on a car that will just depreciate...considering that you already have a car that dominates the majority of us out there.

thats my $.02

Jon...Greg is so right. Don't get me wrong...I love my STi, but I wish I would have kept my RS and put a swap in it. I basically has a Version 6 STi, minus the motor. The car would have been paid off and I would have been able to afford a house...and actual HOUSE. Now, with my payments, I can barely afford to buy a 1 bedroom apartment. He's totally right, especially since you have a child. Don't do it...do what is right for you and your family's future. Later on, you can get one.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Jon...Greg is so right. Don't get me wrong...I love my STi, but I wish I would have kept my RS and put a swap in it. I basically has a Version 6 STi, minus the motor. The car would have been paid off and I would have been able to afford a house...and actual HOUSE. Now, with my payments, I can barely afford to buy a 1 bedroom apartment. He's totally right, especially since you have a child. Don't do it...do what is right for you and your family's future. Later on, you can get one.
i agree, your car is already bad ***...i really like it the way it is..
Old 11-17-2004, 11:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
yep, your financial and family situation would be a major factor, but if you were planning to buy and put a 6 spd tranny in, etc that would cost a pretty penny and could be used towards a sti if you were set on doing one or the other.

obligations.....
b
Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by b_drift
yep, your financial and family situation would be a major factor, but if you were planning to buy and put a 6 spd tranny in, etc that would cost a pretty penny and could be used towards a sti if you were set on doing one or the other.

obligations.....
b
i agree, and i also weigh the factor of having a car loan of 30 g's to pay off.
versus whatever he has left now. my philosophy that i have now is to reward myself with parts as the extra money comes in. putting in that tranny would be lots of $$ but definitely less than a full on car loan.

i'm not trying to **** on the mans parade or be the priority police or nothin like that... just trying to offer some advice that come straight from my heart and personal experience. i'm having difficulty selling my home on the big island which means i'm paying rent here along with 1,160 in car payments/insurance. i'm bustin my butt tryin to purchase a home here, but its been tough... and i feel slight temptations here and there to "keep up with the jones's" and spending gazillions on parts(which i really don't need) after all these cars are very expensive hobbies!

either way jon... i still think your car rocks big time... and BTW... your setup is pretty unique and one of a kind.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Yeah, Jon... you're my only refuge from getting flame from rest of the guys (you know I have an auto too!!) Keep your car, it's a unique setup. If not, I get first dibs on your gauges, gauge pod, tranny cooler, etc, etc, etc... Keep your car.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:19 AM

Car Info: cars
i think you're setup is unique too. there is nothing wrong with a 12 second auto (you're faster than most of us with STi's). if money is not a problem, do what will make you happy and get the sti. doing an engine/tranny swap would be fun and a lot cheaper but would take time.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
with my current setup my car is fast for the 1/4 mile but not for track days...etc.

Unfortunately I enjoy track days way more than 1/4 mile passes.

Regarding tranny/engine swap... just for the engine (not including everything needed) it would take 9K and another 3K for a tranny plus whatever else pieces I need to get this thing all together plus labor if I decide to have a shop do it or a very long weekend with a few qualified i-club members. That is going to be about 15K with an addtional 15K I could get a perfectly new STI.

I don't know...

Jon
Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 AM

Keep your car, it's faster and more unique than a stock STI. Also auto trans can be fast at SCCA/Track days.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Jon, you do remember my GC8, right? I spent $11,000 in modifications to it, and it was nowhere near as fast as a WRX. I rarely did track days because I never had the power. I, just like Greg, am not trying to **** on your idea. I also have to wait to do things to my STi because I don't have the money to do anything to it. I have a long list of parts that I want, but I can't afford for many reasons ($1000/mo in car payments and insurance as well as paying off other credit cards, etc.).

Yes, there are trade offs with the motor and tranny issues. But you have to ask yourself...why are you doing this? Is it to be even more unique? Are you actually going to race the car? I mean seriously...I know you have come out to SCCA days and Track Days, but nowhere near as regular as myself and others that have STi's or WRX's. Think about what you want to do and what you are going to use it for. I purposely bought the STi over a G35 because I knew I was going to race. It doesn't seem to me that you are doing this for racing reasons, so really htink about what you want.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Jon, you do remember my GC8, right? I spent $11,000 in modifications to it, and it was nowhere near as fast as a WRX. I rarely did track days because I never had the power. I, just like Greg, am not trying to **** on your idea. I also have to wait to do things to my STi because I don't have the money to do anything to it. I have a long list of parts that I want, but I can't afford for many reasons ($1000/mo in car payments and insurance as well as paying off other credit cards, etc.).

Yes, there are trade offs with the motor and tranny issues. But you have to ask yourself...why are you doing this? Is it to be even more unique? Are you actually going to race the car? I mean seriously...I know you have come out to SCCA days and Track Days, but nowhere near as regular as myself and others that have STi's or WRX's. Think about what you want to do and what you are going to use it for. I purposely bought the STi over a G35 because I knew I was going to race. It doesn't seem to me that you are doing this for racing reasons, so really htink about what you want.
Ditch: Yes I do remember your car. Yes I do want to regularly race my car and be able to enjoy it as much as you guys do. No it's not to be MORE unique.

well I have to think about this more...

Jon
Old 11-18-2004, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
Originally Posted by iNfEk
Ditch: Yes I do remember your car. Yes I do want to regularly race my car and be able to enjoy it as much as you guys do. No it's not to be MORE unique.

well I have to think about this more...

Jon
come ride with me next autoX. i'll help. b
Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM