Interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Interchangable?

Are the 2004 STI wheel hubs and the 2005 STI wheel hubs interchangable?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
Originally Posted by iNfEk
Are the 2004 STI wheel hubs and the 2005 STI wheel hubs interchangable?

is this an indirect way of saying that you will be getting an 04 sti.... and want to move to the more popular 5x114 pattern from the 05? or vice versa? that would be cool.

sorry for the useless post.

b
Old 11-17-2004, 06:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
You know it is. To use a word I never thought I'd use, WOOT! (did I spell that right?)

...that or he's got a good deal on some '05 STi rims and is looking for the cheapest way that he could use them, as opposed to swapping out the entire rear end.

That's a good question, Jon.

If you're getting an STi, I'd recommend that you stick with the '04 hubs because there are so many more rims that are interchangable that what there is for the '05.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:48 PM

well since I love my wheels so much and the only way that I could still use them would be to swap 04 STI wheel hubs onto an 05 STI. But then again... I could just get the JDM STI V8 golds... which I've never seen on anyones car EVER... I could sell my current wheels to the few that want them .

I've been very much considering my options on getting an STI since that is the ultimate goal to have one... it would be great to keep the auto on the STI (hmmmmmmm) but then I'd be missing out on all the fun at track days...etc.. Since I've already learned Left Foot Braking on the auto I could use it on manual... (hopefully). Also driving standard isn't one of my strong points at in the present day since I've been driving automatics for as long as I could drive. Only when My mom had her 5 speed stanza was I able to drive standard.

here is the dilema though... In order for me to trade in my high mileage car I would have to come up with $3K so that I can pay off my loan. but if I come up with that much money by selling existing parts that I have (ie. Suspension,brakes, and possibly wheels/tires,headlights) then I'll have to buy them again when I have the STI unfortunately I don't have a lot of money now a days so that might be a while before I see those type of items again (OR EVER).

what would be the best option for me... Get an STI (may or may-not swap wheel hubs to keep my rims) or swap in a 6MT in my my WRX? Keep in mind that I will eventually swap in an STI V8 Short block but the STI V8 (2005) already has one... hmmmmmmmmmm what to do...

On another note though... I know deep down inside that the 04/05 wheel hubs ARE interchangable it's just that I don't want to do that much work just for some damn wheels... you know? Just so you know the JDM V8 wheels are the same as the 2005 bolt pattern in the US. They look similar but not really... I'll see if I can post a pic.

HELP!

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Interchangable?-v8specc.jpg  

Last edited by iNfEk; 11-17-2004 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Why trade your car and loose all that money. Instead just buy more parts for your WRX. Hell a WRX would be a downgrade for you right now. I like the '05, but I don't like that it is the first model in 10 years with a different bolt pattern. Screw that.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by keirnna
Why trade your car and loose all that money. Instead just buy more parts for your WRX. Hell a WRX would be a downgrade for you right now. I like the '05, but I don't like that it is the first model in 10 years with a different bolt pattern. Screw that.
I'm thinking of upgrading to an STI not another WRX.

You are right though the change in bolt patter was a silly one. that is why I started this thread to see if the wheel hubs should be interchanable... I'm pretty sure that they are interchangeable and if I didn't have to change the whole damn wheel hub and only the stud holder hub then that would be great and I'm sure a lot more people would try to do what I'm trying to do now.

Jon
Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 PM
VIP Member

sell everything and get an sti!!

i learned one thing going from wrx(wagon) to sti. they are 2 totally different things. day to day driving is just better with the sti. throttle response, lack of lag, etc. get the sti, stay stock and enjoy it for a little while so money can build up and then splurge on it again!! also, a warranty for at least a few months is a nice feeling til you mod again.

larry would be a good opinion as he had a very modded wrx and went to an sti.

b
Old 11-17-2004, 07:47 PM

how's traffic in an STI? I know that I'll get it right back after driving my car in traffic but how is it on hills...etc.?

Jon
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Wanna trade for the weekend? I like your car you should just save your money and maybe down the road get an STI mine is always for sale. And you'll lose all the time and money you have put into your car you have personalized your car to meet your likeing.

Last edited by silver satin; 11-17-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:03 PM

Car Info: cars
when i upgraded (also from a wagon), i immediately felt the differences. like b-drift said, they are 2 completely different things. driving in traffic isn't too bad and i don't have any problems on hills.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:07 PM

to the people that say driving in traffic isn't that bad... where do you live and what is yoru commut (sp?) daily? Do you use your car for work?

Silver Satin: Why would you want to trade with me for the weekend when you have an STI? What do you mean your car is ALWAYS for sale? Are you not satisified with it?

Driving automatic does get boring...

Jon
Old 11-17-2004, 08:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by b_drift
sell everything and get an sti!!

i learned one thing going from wrx(wagon) to sti. they are 2 totally different things. day to day driving is just better with the sti. throttle response, lack of lag, etc. get the sti, stay stock and enjoy it for a little while so money can build up and then splurge on it again!! also, a warranty for at least a few months is a nice feeling til you mod again.

larry would be a good opinion as he had a very modded wrx and went to an sti.

b
I'd agree, but along with what Barry's talking about, have you given any thought to swapping your block and heads & stuff? It's really not THAT big of a job. I'm convinced that I could do it myself (except for that cam gear bolt!!!) Also, I wouldn't do it, but I think it would be cool if I had an auto in my car with a high stall.

Originally Posted by silver satin
Wanna trade for the weekend? I like your car you should just save your money and maybe down the road get an STI mine is always for sale. And you'll lose all the time and money you have put into your car you have personalized your car to meet your likeing.
Dude, you are the best. That is such an awesome showing of friendship.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:11 PM

Car Info: cars
i don't drive very far from home to work, but i do use my car to go to meetings and such (usually through morning and afternoon traffic). imo, driving in traffic didn't change that much between the wrx and sti.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by WRXed
i don't drive very far from home to work, but i do use my car to go to meetings and such (usually through morning and afternoon traffic). imo, driving in traffic didn't change that much between the wrx and sti.
well I DO NOT have 5MT or 6MT in my car... I have an AUTOMATIC so of course traffic would be different. Coming from Auto how horrible would traffic be... Don't say horrible though. I haven't driven standard in traffic before

Originally Posted by silver satin
Wanna trade for the weekend?
what are you doing now??? can you meet up with me now off base and I can drive your car (hopefully... )

Jon

Last edited by iNfEk; 11-17-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by iNfEk
how's traffic in an STI? I know that I'll get it right back after driving my car in traffic but how is it on hills...etc.?

Jon
hills in a sti is better than a wrx because of the lag/bog in wrx's from a dead stop. the sti is ready to go. too bad it doesn't have the anti-rollback feature, but basically you will not get stuck on a hill due to the car lag/bog.

traffic is a very personal response. the sti requires earlier shifts which for me is good because i get to 2nd quickly and very very very light throttle, but if i gotta speed up, i go back down of course. as a manual trans driver over 12yrs, i must say that the sti is good in traffic as far as manual trans goes.

remember that you will be coming from auto, so anything will be a PITA in traffic for you.

the sti is a very easy car to drive aside from the stiffer clutch pedal(which i like). well, defined shifting, already short throw. you also won't have to downshift as much in an sti going up pali, etc.

if you love your subaru, you will not regret getting a sti. except for payment time if you lease/finance.

b

Quick Reply: Interchangable?