Intake ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:15 PM

Car Info: Aspen White STI
Intake ?

Anyone running stage 2 with a cold air intake? I'm wondering if I'll see any hp gains with the injen cai without tuning my car. I know if I want the best possible results from this cai I should get the car tuned, but if anyone has any knowledge on this subject please let me know.

Mahalo!
Jared
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
is this a serious question? if it is then IMO the only way to "see" hp gains is with a dyno. from what i have seen CAI's aren't so good for the subies, but some people have different opinions. you shouldn't need to "tune" you car for something simple like a CAI. just buy one and see if it works for you. thats pretty much what you have to do. L8R
Old 02-13-2006, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
this is a highly debatable question and I would recommend you do some searches if you haven't already. most people i know on this board have either never used a cai or have used and immediately sold shortly after. i personally did the second option. the only intake I know that does anything (and this is from the cobb website) cobb claims that their sf intake shows minor gains when used with their ap stage 2. of course this is an off the shelf map but better than nothing. they also use to have a map for the injen cai but i look on the downloads page and i believe they removed it. try giving them a call or posting in the cobb forums to see if someone can e-mail you the map the for the ap.

Jess

Last edited by 4080wrx; 02-13-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:29 PM

Car Info: subaru
Pick up the latest Tuner Performance Reports. It shows the gains for various air intakes on an STI. The Injen CAI performed quite well...

Last edited by YamazakiSubaru; 02-13-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the help! I've researched this for a while and I've seen mixed opinions, so I'll let everyone know how it goes once I install the part. Xile had this same setup on his car with great results so I'm hoping for the same. I guess there's only one way to find out.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
To me, there's a lot of other things that could be bought that would have more of an effect on the performance of your car.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Well

I'll chime in here. There are a lot of posts here and at NASIOC that will tell you an intake will make you run lean, they don't provide gains, etc. If you don't run a FMIC, you don't really "need" an intake. I have a FMIC and an APS intake, and I can tell you I don't run lean (I have a wideband 02 that will back me up on this). I agree with the previous poster in that there are other mods that will make more of a difference. That said, those of us running FMICs (at least mine) can't keep the stock airbox. This really is a heavily debated topic.

San
Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
i have been thinking and researching this for a while, and im still torn. but if i understand you correctly san, you are saying that if you are running a TMIC you do NOT need any sort of aftermarket intake system, is that right? i dont want to spend money incorrectly or on a guess. sux though, cuz we have no dyno except the "butt" dyno.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
^^^just spend half the $ and buy a good drop in pannel filter, then spend the other half on ss lines or steering rack bushings or endlinks...ect
Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
What

I'm saying is there are other mods that would probably make more difference. For the intake to limit your ability to make power, you'd have to be running a very large turbo, and there are people making serious power with stock intakes. I think a high flow filter is probably sufficient. When you look at the "snorkus" on the stock intake, IMHO it is nearly a CAI in and of itself. This all really depends on the Subaru model you have. Some of the Subies run pig rich from the factory, and the intake "leans" out the A/F mixture to some extent. It really depends on your opinion of what's "lean". I see high 11:1 to low 12:1 A/F under boost (again, I have a wideband 02). Lean is good, as long as you're not detonating. When I first installed my VF34, my AVC-R was hooked up wrong. I saw 24 lbs of boost at 4000 rpm. I saw no knock activity (FMIC saved me IMHO). I did at least 20 pulls. This was with an AEM intake (APS now). Rich is good, as it cools down the cylinders, but makes less power. Like everything in life, it's about compromise and finding the "middle ground". I digress. But what do I know, I'm just a "n00b".

San
Old 02-14-2006, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Talking

Originally Posted by oldmansan
I'm saying is there are other mods that would probably make more difference. For the intake to limit your ability to make power, you'd have to be running a very large turbo, and there are people making serious power with stock intakes. I think a high flow filter is probably sufficient. When you look at the "snorkus" on the stock intake, IMHO it is nearly a CAI in and of itself. This all really depends on the Subaru model you have. Some of the Subies run pig rich from the factory, and the intake "leans" out the A/F mixture to some extent. It really depends on your opinion of what's "lean". I see high 11:1 to low 12:1 A/F under boost (again, I have a wideband 02). Lean is good, as long as you're not detonating. When I first installed my VF34, my AVC-R was hooked up wrong. I saw 24 lbs of boost at 4000 rpm. I saw no knock activity (FMIC saved me IMHO). I did at least 20 pulls. This was with an AEM intake (APS now). Rich is good, as it cools down the cylinders, but makes less power. Like everything in life, it's about compromise and finding the "middle ground". I digress. But what do I know, I'm just a "n00b".

San
LOL ha ha San your noob...go home you noob!! to add a little more to what San is saying in chimpanzee terms (this is what i understand) spend the $200 you would have on an intake (ie. cai or short ram) and spend it on something like an up pipe, brake lines, pads, crank pulley or something proven for the best bang for the buck. intakes are best left for higher hP or when you absolutely have to because you have a FMIC.....oh and San your an old noob like me!!! LOL!!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
They're both right.

Spend it on something else...the gains will be negligible and you can get something that will have a deeper impact for that amount of money.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:46 PM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
very helpful...i will certainly keep this in mind
Old 02-16-2006, 09:14 AM

I think I'll take the advice of the guy who had this exact same setup on his car with great results and I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by zillig04
I think I'll take the advice of the guy who had this exact same setup on his car with great results and I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for the replies.
that means, time for some 1/4 before it closes(c'mon Jared).and yes i've seen him have good results, but then again it depends on the individual...though he was pretty good at the drag...

and if im not mistaken the cobb stage 2(i think) for the STI's are suppose to run those times that he had...

just like how Carlo(don't know if you remember him) and Nate was running when they were on Cobb, up until they change their set up!!!

Quick Reply: Intake ?