informative site for import engines

http://www.theoldone.com/
Old 04-13-2004, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Another:
http://aarc.epnet.com/ads/index.cfm?customer=s3962601
http://aarc.epnet.com/ads/rq.cfm

Don't know how well either of these links work, but the base .com should get you there.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
So I see how your defending the free world Do you guys have a lot of free time or are just bored I don't think your missing much here. Keep posting so we know how your doing. Let us know if you need anything I'll be more than happy to start you a tab.....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

J,

Do all of my legwork in figuring out which heads & cams I should get.

Also, should I b&s and put in some sleeves?

Dude, as for what I'm doing here...you have no idea how much of a worthless, warty toad I am. This job sux. It's even hard for me to consider myself as someone who's crucial in defending the American people from those evil terrorists.

I guess it makes us a more effective fighting force now that the correspondence and reports to our higher and subordinate units is correctly syntaxed and free of gramatical errors. I'm on-line to earn the 'COMBAT WORD-PROCESSOR' award.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:53 PM

Personally, Keep the heads you got and them P&P and a angle grind on the valves. I would talk to a machine shop where ever your gonna end up and get a custom grind on your cams I wouldn't go with one alreay out there find a place that can grind one that will work best with your set-up and location. If you can find somebody that can do it all that would be better. Make sure they have a flow bench when porting the heads I think it will ensure each runner is flowing the same or as close as possible. When I built my VW I had the head and intake manifold P&P three angle grind on the valves and went ahead and had the heads rebuilt car had 153k and a huge cam put in it was 270 lift can't remember the duration but first time I heard a 4 cylinder lope was cool. I'm sure you know this already but I'm on lunch and don't have much else to do. I went with the machine shop I did because two other's recommened him the only thing they said was bad about him is that he was slow but good I was in no hurry was rebuiding my first motor so I had time...Funny it started first time once I figured out I had the cam gear on backwards and I guess on a 1988 VW it matters....
Old 04-15-2004, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

So physically how different do you think the v8 heads (the ones I posted about in the other thread) are from, say yours (isn't the jdm v8 still a 2.0?) or my little bitty ones? Essentially since I would just be creating larger ports and there wouldn't be any mechanical stress on the surrounding casing, there shouldn't be any risk, right?

It would probably be a good idea if I could find the dimensions I'd like for my heads to be ported to, huh?

Right now, I think that the safest route for me to go would be to buy the 264? or 272 cams that JUN manufactures. WDYT? (I'm getting to forum savvy)
Old 04-15-2004, 05:04 PM

I would keep your heads and get them P&P would be much cheaper and I think if you get exhaust and intake ports done to match the gaskets I've heard that seems to be plenty big then the next thing is to make sure the runners are as smooth as possible and that they get up in there as far as possible less disturbance to the airflow. I am sure the intake manifold could use some work all that rough stuff needs to go. Not sure if getting all the work done that you want will be cheaper it should but you will know exactly what you have and you can brag to people (redneck voice) "Yea got them there heads P&P, got me some big old cams and some grindin on my valves" (end redneck voice). I might not know what I am talking about haven't built a lot of engines but it is easier to slap parts on If I wanted to build a motor this is what I would do just my opinion so take it as you wish I just like when people do a lot of the work or in this case have it done...
Old 04-15-2004, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Hey, I just sent you a PM.