Info&Feedbacks for AUTO Xers..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
ArchangelX, you've been so dedicated....i also appreciate you effort....
Old 07-29-2007, 03:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by ArchangelX
Just as a heads up, epsescially to you dub, I'm not saying DON'T do what SORT is saying as far as contacting your City Councilman...I'm not saying that at all.

My post was just trying to explain the difficulties that we are facing as organizations.

Yeah I know and jus wanna say thanks for explaining the difficulties that you guys are facing..
Old 07-29-2007, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by ArchangelX
We cannot use FEAR to scare politicians into doing what we need them to do. We must use intelligent discussion and discourse. FEAR tactics is what pisses them off and makes them fight against us even more.
The point being made...is that even if we all sent in about a gazillion letters, the chance of convincing the City that condemnation would be a wise investment, and JUSTIFIABLE for the greater good of Oahu would be a hard sell. Which one is more important for the greater good? Economic and Industrial Growth for the entire island or a Motorsports Facility for a minority of people?
thanks for the great coverage and input on the issues. understanding the huge undertaking that these organizations, including yourself, are doing is vital.
just a little pointer when you are sending email/letter/calling your politicians is to go direct to the point...we need a track. it's the same concept as when they close down all of the golf courses (which we know will not happen, but a simple analogy), and you will have golfers teeing off in their backyards, or neighborhood parks...we do what we can as individual supporters.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 06 2.5i WGN & 06 WRX WGN
I'm sorry but intelligence wins out in my book over enthusiasm.

Thanks, ArchangelX.

There is a reason i have one sticker on the car, it's a build the track sticker, not a sort sticker.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Cynt
I'm sorry but intelligence wins out in my book over enthusiasm.

Thanks, ArchangelX.

There is a reason i have one sticker on the car, it's a build the track sticker, not a sort sticker.
Plus 1.

Oh and plus 1 for Curtis and Amy as well.

SORT is too negative for my liking. If they really cared about everyone's opinions they wouldn't have cried like babies and called us idiots way back when this all started.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
So if a dirt track does get built maybe we could try some rallyX.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by Deraj_53
So if a dirt track does get built maybe we could try some rallyX.
doubt it
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 06 2.5i WGN & 06 WRX WGN
yeah, unfortunately rallyX should really be on a pretty solid dirt 'parking lot' just a big flat area... it does not stay so flat after a few runs but...

AFAIK, dirt tracks should be pretty soft.

think we'd sink pretty quick.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
ArchangelX, you have been informative as usual. Your participation in this matter always brings clarity to the situation. I appreciate you posting your opinions, and as always, thank and applaud you for your efforts! Take care and let's win the battle to build it............they will come. Keep up the great representation of the motorsports community.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the sentiments.

I just found out they deferred the resolutions to condem HRP and passed the upzoning of HRP for Irongate through private committee yesterday. As far as I know, and what was informed to me...the deferment is indefinite.

On the news, Charles Djou said that they understand the racer's plight, but they simply have no money available in the budget.

Last edited by ArchangelX; 08-01-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
idk but i find it hard to believe that there isn't anywhere on this island that they can biuld a new track. there's tons of open land just after campbell that would be sufficient. there's old pinapple fields and land out in wahiawa. is rezoning those parcels that tough? idk it doesn't make that much of a difference to those of us who only auto-x but i do feel for those who wanna run the 1/4mile. hopefully they will work something out but if not....superferry!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 AM

There's only one thing that you're missing with the equation. Money. All of it takes money...and none of the organizations here have the money to build it themselves.

It's either Private Development or nothing...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
you gotta be kidding me, a good racetrack is just a big cash cow....who wouldn't want to build one? i mean on top of being able to have fri and sat and even weeknight races, there's also sccs and drift events. not to mention the potential to do other things like super lap and car shows. granted the return on investment would take a while but a good quality racetrack can make money. the problem with the old hrp is that they were taking the money and running. they put nothing back into the track and it deteriorated until it looked like most of the roads here. there's money to be made and a lot that could be had from building a new better track. i just hope somebody realizes it....git r done!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
aparantly, none of the councilmembers has actually taken a drive down the H or into honolulu. every other car is an evo, sti, 350z ect. there are twice as many performance cars on this island then in most larger states and people want to drive them. the community is huge. i mean heck all they gotta do is charge ten bucks at the gate and they would be effin rich.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Guys, even when HRP was at full strength, with every organization running constantly...we estimated it only pulled in maybe about 250,000-300,000 dollars worth of profit a year. That's for a facility with all of it's racing surfaces laid down, and no construction costs. That might sound like alot, but it isn't. Its definetly not enough to convince an investor that he was going to get his investment back.

You might be confusing the profits of the events with the profits of the facility. This is very important to understand. The events themselves are what made the money...not the facility. If DS brought in 2,000 bucks for the night after paying insurance, rent, workers, food, miscellaneous, whateverz...then DS kept the $2,000 bucks. It could have been a huge event, where they pulled in $15,000 dollars even...the facility STILL received the same rental rate.

HRP was run like an apartment complex, I guess you could say. Each organization paid a rental fee, an insurance fee, and some other miscellaneous expenses like water & electricity. Just because a big event happened, doesn't mean that it got any more money than it normally did. It was a set price. That was just the deal.

The organizations must make a profit to survive...they're businesses. From our point of view, a new facility would change that a little, as more of it would go back into the facility...but HRP was way different.

And ask yourself...if you knew that you were going to close HRP with the hopes of building a new racing facility in the coming months or years, would you invest in the facility anymore? Anytime any upgrades were made or completed, they would get nailed with serious fines for violating the terms of the variance that allowed HRP to function. That variance was the true nail in HRP's coffin as far as maintenance was concerned.

Sure, they cut the grass, and painted the guard rails, fixed the pot holes...but to repave the return road, put up lights, or do any serious type of infrastructure work would result in some major fines being levied against the facility. Did you ever wonder why there were no permanent buildings there? I mean, the International Racing School had tents for shop buildings, and a mobile office! Why don't we have timing boards for the drag racers?

It's basically the same thing about trying to make our community bigger than it actually is. Even though every other car is an STI, 350Z, etc., just how many of those people took it to the track, or even would go to it. I can speak from experience, that we usually only had about 300 spectators at our DS events. That's a horribly small number of people.

It's easy to generalize, but when you look at the cold hard facts, compared to say, something like golfers, our community is miniscule. And regardless, the City simply doesn't have it in it's budget. Look at the latest increase in the budget...over 60%!

http://www.hawaiitalks.net/showthrea...7626#post87626

Like I said before...there's a whole lot more to the story. It sucks, but unless you've got all the pieces in your hands, it's really hard to make an accurate picture of the problems we face.

Still, your enthusiasm is what will help to make it happen. If we can get the community together on the same page...I think we can make it happen. But we have to push for the right things at the right time.

Quick Reply: Info&Feedbacks for AUTO Xers..