I'm looking to move from DC to Oahu in <2 yrs, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Oahu: things I like about it, in no particular order: friendly, laid back citizens; Daiei;
Ko Olina beach; the food - Japanese, Korean, Filipino, local, I like all kine; the girls - Japanese, Korean, Filipina, white hybrids, I like all kine. AND, Subie drivers recognize you w/ a shaka. Don't like: the awful roads; reminds me of Manila.
DC: good stuff: Jazz on FM radio, anytime; my antidote to commuter gridlock. The bad: rude people, but aren't big cities like that? And I could've been dead that 11th day of Sept.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Cali is the best of both worlds somewhat...weather is ok and you still get all the cool mainland stuff....like free shipping on your mod's.

I've enjoyed my time but I'm going to the land of open trackdays yO!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
you will be happy here- i've lived on the east coast for 8 years- moved back to hawaii in '93. one word of advice- make sure the career you are in has the means to allow you to live happily(comfortably) - we may not be as expensive like other areas but it does kinda get to ya after a while (like 6 dollar gallons of milk, 2.60/gal for gas, etc.) one thing that has kept me here - is the family atmosphere- that and the fact that property value here is top notch- you can make some serious money if you decide to get some property here- - - no matter what size you get.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Location: Indianapolis,Indiana the arm pit of of the average white guy.
Car Info: Dont ask me why I throw it side ways and yes am mad when I drive.
I've been in Hawaii for three years and I just went up to DC like two weeks ago. I can tell you from first had XP that its not going to be to much of a difference. You'll really love Hawaii though if you get out alot. Oahu also has the best group of I clubbiers as you can probably already tell.

Keirnna just being a baby he loved his time in Hawaii and many people here are a test to that.

Forgot the biggest difference is the weather so bring the sun screen. Late

Last edited by AlpineSTI; 05-30-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:35 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
I grew up on the East Coast. I've been in Hawaii for 2-1/2 years. I can't wait to get back to the East Coast!!!

The cost of living isn't that bad for me, since I'm military and have the advantage of the Navy Exchange and Commissary. The scenery (both geographic and female ) is quite nice, but it ain't worth all the other hassles to me.

I went to the Naval Academy, have dealt with traffic on the Beltway a number of times since I was just an hour away down Rte 50. Hawaii traffic is infuriating because there's absolutely no need for any of it - if people learned to frickin' drive and stopped "driving with Aloha" 90% of the morning rush hour would go away. And God forbid it rains!!! Someone dumps a cup of water out the window of their car and traffic instantaneously slows down 20mph! I could go on and on, but it just drives me nuts to think about it. Everywhere I've ever lived there have been "idiots" on the road to complain about, but out here it's worse than anywhere I've ever been (Florida, Virginia, Connecticut, Maryland, California, cross-country trips, etc).

I've had a good time with the Subaru crew out here, primarily at the auto-x events (I'm always at work too late to make the Thursday get togethers), but I think the New England Subaru crew was just as tight and just as much fun - despite being spread out over 6 states and hundreds of times more area.

I'm looking forward to the Navy putting me back on the mainland, back where there are hundreds and hundreds of miles of fun back roads to carve, back where there are these things called "road courses" that are more than 0.8mi long , back where I can actually do 80mph in traffic on the highway because people understand how to keep the traffic flowing, back where milk costs $1.99 a gallon and a 1/2gal of ice cream isn't $6.50 everywhere (instead of just at the Commissary), and (call me crazy) back where there are seasons and I can have fun playing with my Subie in the snow.

But that's just me...

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 05-31-2005, 06:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Originally Posted by Mach5WRX
I've enjoyed my time but I'm going to the land of open trackdays yO!
Yeah I spent well over $1k in just shipping costs.