iHike (Island Hike) HIIC Hike Club Part 8 on 3/26/11

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by 49_STi
Hey Ted so it's a Monday now not Saturday? Me and the gf might be busy weekdays due to work so not sure if we could make it :/
it's still this coming saturday Roel. i was just saying that i'm finalizing the list as of today (monday)...
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 08 Impreza STI, SSM
I'm still in.. really starting to look forward to this. lol.. don't worry about me.. I'm no city boy and I'm in the Army.. I been on hikes before just not here in Hawaii.

Last edited by maxboost81; 03-22-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Ow yea.. My name is Mike.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by maxboost81
I'm still in.. really starting to look forward to this. lol.. don't worry about me.. I'm no city boy and I'm in the Army.. I been on hikes before just not here in Hawaii.
well that's good to know. i just want to make sure that you read my disclaimer when you posted that you "just want to get out and see the island", so that got me worried...lol. this hike is definitely not a walk in the park but you will see the best island view for sure(weather permitting).
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 PM
VIP Member

Here are some final instructions and FYI:

- Obviously this is not a car cruise so if you have a daily driver car, I recommend that you drive that. If you guys want to carpool, that's fine too.

- I am looking for one of you guys (if you have a bigger vehicle) to park on the Kaneohe side. We will be using 2 vehicles to shuttle the rest of the group back to Moanalua Valley. We are making arrangements for this as well but it will be nice if we have a back-up plan.

- This is not an exclusive HIIC hike. Some guys/gals will be joining us as well.

- I highly recommend bringing gloves to this hike. A pair of leather weight gloves, baseball gloves or even the leather mechanics gloves will do the work. You don't have to but it comes really handy in this hike. You will thank me later for mentioning this.

Meet-up: 0800 Moanalua Valley Park - go all the way to the end of Moanalua Valley Road. Please be prompt. We will start the hike without you if you are late.
Parking: There are a number of parking stalls in the park but if it's full, you can park on the street.

- Bring a fresh set of clothes and slippers. You will get dirty, muddy, stinky and yucky.

- We will be doing some stream/river crossing in the beginning. So yes, you will be walking with wet shoes all the way.

- The rest of the info is on post# 1.

Please post up or call me if you have other questions, concerns or if you happen to have a bigger car so i can coordinate with you and pick you up in Kaneohe before we start the hike.

My number is 232-9204. Thanks.

Ted

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HIKE FOR BEGINNERS REGARDLESS OF YOUR PHYSICAL CONDITIONING. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY WHEN JOINING THIS HIKE.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 03-25-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Car Info: RHD bugeye wagon
i hope u guys still do these hikes when i get there. i definitely like to go hiking with everyone
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by misterhashimoto
i hope u guys still do these hikes when i get there. i definitely like to go hiking with everyone
i go hiking regularly, however it's been a while since i organized one of these hikes here in HIIC. this is one of those rare occassions. i'll do my best to organize another one in the future.

BTW, i'll be going to the Friday Meat in Ewa on Friday...can't stay late though because of our early hike the following morning.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 03-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Hey Ted sorry I really need to cancel I got sick and don't think I'll be feeling better anytime soon. I was looking forward to the hike but maybe next time.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 49_STi
Hey Ted sorry I really need to cancel I got sick and don't think I'll be feeling better anytime soon. I was looking forward to the hike but maybe next time.
no problem Roel...actually thanks for letting me know early so i can get the other guys in.

well, we just filled up all the slots and may have room for one more resererved by Jared.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

we're moving the meet-up time to 0800 so you guys can sleep a little bit more.
i needed to pick-up a couple guys from the kaneohe side so we should get to moanalua valley before 8.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM
VIP Member

for those guys who missed out on this hike, we were just informed today that HPD is now issuing trespassing citations even if you are going down the stairs. it's pretty serious and you will have to go to court for it. a bunch of hikers were already previously cited. we got our fair warning today so i guess that's it for this hike for now. it's really unfortunate that they are totally closing this awesome hike...

Name:  IMG_20110326_143912.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  214.6 KB
Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
how did you find out about the citations? was it from the guard at the bottom? my friend wants to do the stairs next month.

Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
we were just informed today that HPD is now issuing trespassing citations even if you are going down the stairs. it's pretty serious and you will have to go to court for it. a bunch of hikers were already previously cited. we got our fair warning today so i guess that's it for this hike for now.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brento
how did you find out about the citations? was it from the guard at the bottom? my friend wants to do the stairs next month.
yes, it was from the guard. i guess because there's more and more people coming from the back side, now they are getting more complaints. last saturday alone, there are probably more than 11 people hiking with us at that time. he said hpd has been issuing tickets that requires you to go to court.

The bottomline is, this trail is officially closed even on the way down. Whether or not you will risk a trespassing citation, is all up to you.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
man i'm sorry i missed it (work runs my life...)

and now I can't do a stairway to heaven hike? sucksx2...

maybe they'll open it up again someday...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by tesh
thats like saying we will have the state open up a racetrack 1/4th mile race track! not private sector i mean the state!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tesh
man i'm sorry i missed it (work runs my life...)

and now I can't do a stairway to heaven hike? sucksx2...

unfortunate as it may seem, i'm sure people will still find ways to get to it. of course that's how alot of hikers get into trouble and end up getting seriously hurt, rescued or worse, so unless you really know what you are doing, then i would strongly advise against it.

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
thats like saying we will have the state open up a racetrack 1/4th mile race track! not private sector i mean the state!
i wish the state would just regulate it so hikers will be able to pay for a permit and get educated before going to this hike, the same concept that they are doing for Hanauma Bay. at least this way, inexperienced hikers will be notified that they can die from this hike and at the same time the state will generate some revenue for maintenance. the stairs are generally in pretty good shape which contradicts what they are saying it to be in the news.

Quick Reply: iHike (Island Hike) HIIC Hike Club Part 8 on 3/26/11