iHike (Island Hike) HIIC Hike Club Part 8 on 3/26/11

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
hey jon, i would say anything over intermediate is not really recommended for kids under 7, especially if they haven't tried hiking before. i would say a 1 to 2 hour hikes would be appropriate for kids. so to answer your question, this particular hike is not suitable for kids.

we can do that camp timberline trail again hopefully on the next one so you guys can bring your family and kids.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 AM
VIP Member

Ok, for those of you who are getting ready for this... i am contemplating on 2 trails.

1. Mt. Koahuinui - this is the highest point of the Koolau Mountain Range. We will be starting at the Tantalus trail (Kalawahine trail) and park there. The hike is approximately 2.5 hours in and probably 2 hours back. Expect spectacular views once we get to the main trail after Pauoa Flats lookout.

2. Or we can do the ultimate challenge... The Stairway to Heaven via Tripler Ridge. I will not even try to describe this hike. Let me know what you guys think...
Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM
VIP Member

Ok, it's final.

The hike will be the Stairway to Heaven via the Middle Ridge.

We will be joining another group that I regularly hike with. This will be the first time that we will be going thru the Middle Ridge but it should be shorter than going thru the Tripler Ridge.

We are finalizing the headcount so please let me know ASAP if you are interested. We need to coodinate transportation and pick up since this is a one way hike.

So far I have Joey H, Jon, Jimmy, Wunder, and tesh. We don't need a big group so if this is it, please confirm your spot. This may be your once in a while guided tour for an epic hike.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 03-17-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
Ok, it's final.

The hike will be the Stairway to Heaven via the Middle Ridge.

We will be joining another group that I regularly hike with. This will be the first time that we will be going thru the Middle Ridge but it should be shorter than going thru the Tripler Ridge.

We are finalizing the headcount so please let me know ASAP if you are interested. We need to coodinate transportation and pick up since this is a one way hike.

So far I have Joey H, Jon, Jimmy, Wunder, and tesh. We don't need a big group so if this is it, please confirm your spot. This may be your once in a while guided tour for an epic hike.

in the face quote of Jon, "Hmmmmmm"
Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 AM

Car Info: 98 Forester L
I will do my best to make it out there, one of my good buddies is trying to arrange something that day which may take priority. I really wanna do this hike as I have heard it is one of the harder ones and also to get to know some of the fellow i-clubbers.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub81
in the face quote of Jon, "Hmmmmmm"
like i keep telling you, you will always be wondering what's out there...you keep bugging me to take you hiking, well here's your chance.

Originally Posted by Wunder
I will do my best to make it out there, one of my good buddies is trying to arrange something that day which may take priority. I really wanna do this hike as I have heard it is one of the harder ones and also to get to know some of the fellow i-clubbers.
going up/down the stairs is the easy part. it's getting up there that's the challenging part. but let me know at least by Monday if you will be making it out.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 2009 OBP Subaru WRX 5-Door
My Girlfriend and I have been wanting to do Stairway to Heaven but have other plans in the afternoon.

What time will you guys be starting and what time do you think we will all get back?

JR
Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
I'm in!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 08 Impreza STI, SSM
really been wanting to get out and see the island and go on a hike. Plus ill meet some good people at the same time.. Count me in
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 2407WRX
My Girlfriend and I have been wanting to do Stairway to Heaven but have other plans in the afternoon.

What time will you guys be starting and what time do you think we will all get back?

JR
i have updated all of the details on post #1. if we start on time at 0700, i am assuming we should be done within 5-6 hours. if we have a bigger group, it may be a little slower. the middle ridge route is supposed to be faster, but we also know that it's alot steeper than Tripler Ridge.

Originally Posted by Deraj_53
I'm in!

Originally Posted by maxboost81
really been wanting to get out and see the island and go on a hike. Plus ill meet some good people at the same time.. Count me in
ok guys, i am taking spots on those who are confirming only. for now, i will take the first 5. this is an advanced hike and we tend to limit the number of hikers to the minimum for safety reasons.

im just waiting for the guys who i previously listed to confirm, so hang tight. i will post the list in the order that i get it. thanks.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Me and my Gf are interested in going this one has been on my list for some time.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
ted. you got my number. i rarely log in now. text me or call me to give me the details. because I won't be able to bring the kids on this one... I'll have to make arrangements for this to happen. the earlier i know the better. if not i'll probably have to wait for the next round for this hike.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by iNfEk
ted. you got my number. i rarely log in now. text me or call me to give me the details. because I won't be able to bring the kids on this one... I'll have to make arrangements for this to happen. the earlier i know the better. if not i'll probably have to wait for the next round for this hike.
i actually lost your number when i upgraded my phone. i will find a way to get in touch with you or via FB. but yes, this is not a kid-friendly hike at all, so you will need to make arrangements for sure.

BTW, It's Monday and I'm finalizing the list. Some guys couldn't make it so I'm taking a couple more members in who expressed interest. If I did not hear back from you, then I assume that you are not interested. And for those who responded back via posts, pm and text, then here's the current list:

Jon
Jimmy
Deraj_53
maxboost81
Roel - 49_STi and gf

For now, this is the most that i can take with me, so if any of you will be cancelling, please let me know ASAP as i have some other members who are still in the waiting list. I will be posting some final instructions with regards to transportation among other important details shortly.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 03-21-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by maxboost81

i'm a bit concerned about your post. but i am assuming that you have read about this hike on post# 1 and know what to expect.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Hey Ted so it's a Monday now not Saturday? Me and the gf might be busy weekdays due to work so not sure if we could make it :/

Quick Reply: iHike (Island Hike) HIIC Hike Club Part 8 on 3/26/11