Ideas, please help a haole out

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 AM

Car Info: 04' wrb WRX sedan
Ideas, please help a haole out

Ok, so I got on the dyno and didn't make any power past 3000 rpm. Started mis-firing bad. Car started running bad when I swapped out the turbo and injectors back in October. Was there something I might have bumped or unplugged that would cause this?It began running like this immediately after install. I thought it was just the tune, been limping it on base since. Can't find any leaks, replaced the injectors because we thought they were bad(they weren't). Spent 4 hours taking out the inlet only to find that nothing is wrong with it(there is now, because I cut it up to remove it, FML!). So, anyone have any idea's I'd love to hear them.
MODs-
Perrin up and down pipes
Fp 68hta w/ upgraded oil line
Deatchwerks 750cc injectors w/walbro
Samco y pipe
Soon to have new inlet of some sort
gigantic topmount
Gofastbits hybrid bov
PDX ots map for my upgrades

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT
Your coils may be bad?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Did Jarrad or whomever from PDX say anything? What kind of symptoms other than misfiring is occuring? Could be bad injectors.

What simon says could be a great start off point.

Last edited by dub81; 03-13-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 AM

How do you tell which one is bad? I get mis fire codes for 3 of the cylinders. Starting exactly the first time I drove it after install. I don't think they would fail like that. What about the waste-gate? it's set at the factory, could that be off and cause this? Jarred said the most likely culprit would be injectors, it didn't make any difference. Said it could be a coil pack, but again would that cause a mis fire for multiple cylinders?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by Labmonkey
How do you tell which one is bad? I get mis fire codes for 3 of the cylinders. Starting exactly the first time I drove it after install. I don't think they would fail like that. What about the waste-gate? it's set at the factory, could that be off and cause this? Jarred said the most likely culprit would be injectors, it didn't make any difference. Said it could be a coil pack, but again would that cause a mis fire for multiple cylinders?

What did you check so far??
Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by Labmonkey
did you check your plugs? fouled maybe?

maybe try and vent more of your BOV back to your intake versus the atmosphere. I recently had issues of funky idle and misfires and the culprit was the BOV cracked slightly open at idle. i shimmed it with some washers and problem solved.

try borrow some known good coil packs and use those to test with.

Last edited by 4080wrx; 03-13-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
im havin misfire issues as well but only if i give it more then about 65-70% throttle... codes are only thrown for cylinders 1-4 misfiring, and thats it...
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
Christain- I really think it's your Spark Plugs and your Coils. Usually if you hear your kind of bogging it's Spark Plugs or Coils. I remember when I had my HOnda. I was bogging my like your car and it was my Spark Plugs Wires. Our cars have coil packs instead of wires. I am really thinking it's that.

Other than that...Remember when it comes to Spark Plugs Subaru don't like some spark plugs. try to go with NGK or Denso 1 Step Colder Plugs.

JUst my 2 cents
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
who makes your "gigantic" top mount? did you check the plumping for your intercooler to make sure that the hose clamps are on tight? did you check to make sure the throttle body hose was tight? any leaks in your induction setup will cause bogging.

I'd check/replace your spark plugs and make sure that you have them plugged in the right order. black plugs at the back of the engine closest to the firewall and the white one up front. be careful not to drop them or throw the box around as this can damage the plugs internally.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Again this all began immediately after install from the very first pull.Same plugs before and after the install(NKG R), I replaced them on Friday. They are 1 step colder E3's. I replaced them 1 plug at a time, I asked Jarred about them prior to installing. I have yet to pull them to look at them, I'll do that once I get the new inlet pipe on. So, since the install I started looking at what would make more power for the tune and began replacing things, Samco y pipe, Top mount (I think it's a twr), Gofastbits bov, new plugs. None of these items made a difference. Also changed out boost controllers: stock, Hallman pro mbc, now eboost. As for the hoses, I've checked and rechecked everything to make sure it was tight.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
i had the misfiring and really bad idle problem in my old g35. ended up being 2 bad ignition coils. common issue though if your car has high miles?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:30 PM

51,000 miles on it.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM

51,000 miles on it. Perrin inlet installed, still runs the same. About to pull the plugs. CEL's for misfire on 2,3,and 4.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Try move one of the coil packs to 1 and see if you get a misfire on 1.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM

I'll try that tomorrow. Swapped in new factory plugs. Three of the four were fouled. Nothing has changed.All the coils shock the **** out of me equally though!
We couldn't find anything online on how to test the coils with an ohm meter. The first one was on accident, the others were just for kicks. Found a place online to get coils for $80 each but I want to make sure they're bad. I'm also going to try extra grounding straps at the heads. Anyone have a set I can borrow and give right back? Guess I'll have to wait till the next time he comes or do some more e-tuning. Big thanks to Jared for the hook up on the inlet. I'm just glad I never have to do that again!

Quick Reply: Ideas, please help a haole out