I think I'm going to install something on my car...but it's a secret.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Chris, you're talking whole new territory when you talk about AVCS. I don't even want to think about re-wiring my car right now.

Not right now, but if I could get cams for $150, that would be ideal. Right now the JUN stages seem awfully extravagant. Aren't there any reputable machine shops or what on the mainland that offer comparable head products to STI, JUN, COBB? Or are they it? If/when I swap out the cams, doesn't that mean I have to replace the entire valvetrain minus the valves? Y'all know I'm talking about stuff that's way over my head. Of all of the different Subaru engines, there aren't any cams that would meet my needs?

OT, I'm hearing that the VF30 will spool at 2000 rpms. Sound credible?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Look at

I-Speed's head work. They have mild to wild.

San
Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
You'll need to upgrade the valvetrain If you want to rev higher (simply put) to take advantage of the upgraded cams. Depending upon how aggresive the upgraded cams are, would determine what springs, etc you'd need.
If we can get a good deal with schuman on the STi parts, ... it may be worth the $$ for a bit of an upgrade.
Again, I'd have to find the posts about people using the US STi cams, etc, with the WRX heads & STi block. I think it was good for 400 something HP??? Which is what, 40-50HP more than the stock cams??

There just aren't as many companies making cams for the EJ as other motors. You would never be disappointed with the $$ spent on the JUN kit. It is pricey none the less, ... but it Is 4 cams and associated parts for about $1500 or so.

As far as machine shops, .... Snyders is doing a race head for my friend's 4G63 right now. I know others have said they do good work as well. But we shall see how his stuff comes out. Farid said they send off their heads to the mainland for the machining though.

... and I like I-Speed's work (or Crawford's rather), ... but isn't it pricey???
Old 01-20-2004, 03:04 AM

I think what you replace in your valve train depends on how fast you plan on spining you motor.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:05 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Originally posted by gpatmac
Sean, I plan on doing them WITH you. How else can I learn.

Busy next weekend? Maybe after the AutoX?
cool.
I don't know about after the autoX, .... that's a bit late (and at a tired point) in the day to start.
But are you free tomorrow night? I have friends visiting thursday through the weekend, .... so that will tie me up a bit. Plus school on Mon and Wed nights, ......... then trying to get in time at the shop ....
But I'd REALLY like to do this, so let me know.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:07 AM

I guess Sean beat me Chris and I were talking about using the shim under bucket setup the 04 WRX uses. I think it can be had for abour $400 from Schuman.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Good info.

http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/turbo/ejcalcs.html

Does anyone know if the 98 RS head gasket and the STI head gasket are the same thickness? Fran says that they are both metal at least. As far as I know, all EJ's probably are, but I know how a thousandth of an inch can have major effects.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

posted by Sponaugle on Nasioc
Hey Quirt (and everyone else). You might want to take a look at the cam info I posted up:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...85#post4576085

If you are going to put your new worked heads on the 2.5 motor, you should consider putting the new 2.5 STI cams in. I believe they will drop right in, and have higher lift then the stock WRX ones.

The intake cams were designed to use with AVCS, but based on what I have seen so far, without the AVCS sprockets, the cam will be at the base timing, similar to the stock WRX ones. I need to do a bit more work on this, but it might be good to also have a variable cam gear to get this right. Once you get the working, it would be a great upgrade.

You can purchase the new US 2.5 STI cams from the dealer for about $150 each. At that price, this may just be a great upgrade for all WRX owners. (and it could be done with the engine in the car).

There is a difference in valve spring strength, so if you had the heads off you might consider upgraded those to the 2.5 STI spec as well.

Just something to consider....

Jeff
Old 01-20-2004, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Hey, anyone have a vf22 or larger who'd like to swap for a vf30?
Old 01-20-2004, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Mach5WRX
I got your back! When do we start?

Oh I want one of these kits as soon as they come out.....70 more flywheel HP here I come!

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us...i_370_usa.html
dan,
sell me your 'ol ic:banana:
Old 01-20-2004, 07:47 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Snyder's don't port the intake and exhaust ports. I wouldn't pay someone to install the valvetrain; if you can separate and reassemble a motor, you can do the heads.

Unless you install dual springs, machining is not necessary. The valvetrain only consist of of 16 valves, springs, retainers, keepers, and buckets.

The only pro I'd seek is Ed at Schuman, who can measure the lift and order the shim under buckets.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:56 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Evonation sells Jun cams (4 WRX cams) for $1,100 shipped to Hawaii.

I'm sure that Sean can match or beat the price since Speedgear is a Jun distributer.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:38 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by gpatmac
Hey, anyone have a vf22 or larger who'd like to swap for a vf30?
You can sell the VF 30 and TD04....but I think you should give the VF 30 a shot.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:47 AM
VIP Member

I'm more than happy to off the batt, but it won't be much better than having a td04 on it. I understand that it will spool much, much earlier than what I'm used to. I don't know, I might find out I like it.

As a side note, does anyone have any familiarity with the 2 manifolds that the EJ20TT has? Do those strap on pretty easily to any other EJ? I could put the VF30 on one and the TD04 on another.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:43 AM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Wow Pat i have been following this thread in total excitement. Here is a place you could probaly contact about getting the type of manifold you want.---> http://www.nippon-motors.com/index.htm :banana:

Quick Reply: I think I'm going to install something on my car...but it's a secret.