I suspect my oil pick up tube just snapped off

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
I suspect my oil pick up tube just snapped off

So I was pulling into the underground garage at my apartment and my Defi Oil pressure gauge starts beeping at the pre-determined warning of 0.6 bar. Thinking i just brought the rpms down to low since it normally happens but pressure goes back up after I blip the throttle, it didn't this time. While I was cruising down the garage ramp I noticed the gauge slowly going down from 0.6 bar till it was at 0 bar. Luckily I had just made it to my parking spot and I was able to shut the engine off. I check the oil and the level is normal. So one of two things possibly happened.

1. the oil pick up tube cracked/broke off

2. the oil pressure sending unit crapped out on me on my Defi gauge

what confuses me is why didn't the Subaru dummy oil pressure light come on in the dash? This fact kinda supports why the oil pressure sending unit possibly crapped out instead of the oil pick tube breaking off.

but then again if the oil pick up tube broke off it would explain why I went from 0.6 bar to 0 bar in a matter of 10 seconds.

either way I will tow the car to the Hobby shop this weekend and install the Killer B oil pickup tube whether it is broke off or not. Thank goodness I have an oil pressure gauge so I was able to see the problem quickly and react to it buy shutting off the motor.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 AM

Car Info: Hi, I'm John.
Interested to see if the pickup tube cracked or not. Subscribed.

edit: Good job on catching it before it was catastrophic.

Last edited by Thug Nasty; 07-16-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
hmmm I hope everything is good man!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
hmmm I hope everything is good man!
If it isn't I will just turn another bad situation to a good one by picking me up a built motor. kinda like the time when my 05 got t-boned and all it was, was a blessing in disguise.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
If it isn't I will just turn another bad situation to a good one by picking me up a built motor. kinda like the time when my 05 got "t-boned" and all it was, was a blessing in disguise.
fixed it for you! you and your "accident"
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 AM
VIP Member

hey it was an accident. so stay on topic Shaggy
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
good to hear you caught it too.
i ordered the killer b too anad plan to install on the next few oil changes...
Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 AM
VIP Member

I want to do a safe test to see if oil is getting pumped/circulated in the motor. The only thing I can think of doing is disconnecting the coils and removing the stock pressure sensor and then have someone crank it a few times to see if oil spurts out. The first question I have is will this be safe to do with all the oil currently at the bottom of the pan? I figure it would since most motors that have been sitting for a few hours to days only barley have a light coat of oil on the moving parts prior to start up.

So granted oil starts to spurt out while we are cranking the motor I would imagine it is safe to assume the oil pick up tube is intact and the oil pump is good? So that would obviously point to my Defi oil sender being bad. Either way I will be replacing the oil pick up tube with the Killer B one this saturday.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Here's an idea.....remove the pan!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Here's an idea.....remove the pan!
It looks like he's going to do that when he changes the pickup this Saturday.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 AM
VIP Member

LOOKS LIKE A TRAGEDY HAS BEEN AVOIDED

After pulling the pan the OEM oil pick up tube was intact with no cracks at all. We went ahead and replaced the OEM oil pick up tube with the Killer B aftermarket oil pick up tube and re-installed and sealed the oil pan.

Once this was complete we filled it with fresh oil disconnected the crank angle sensor and crank it a few times to get the oil flowing. After this we removed the alternator to access the OEM oil pressure sensor, removed it and I was going to put a mechanical pressure gauge in place of it but the hobby shop did not have the correct adapter. So we did the only thing we could think of and place a rag over the sensor port and started the engine for a split second and then shut it off. Sure enough when this was done there was enough pressure to get past the rag and make a mess. Once I saw that I was satisfied that the oil pump was still pumping oil like it should.

So my final conclusion is my Defi pressure sensor is finally dead after 5 years of loyal service and thank you Defi for getting me off of my procrastinating *** to replace the OEM oil pick up tube.

Enjoy the pics!
Name:  IMG_5515.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  107.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5514.jpg
Size:  107.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5513.jpg
Size:  111.0 KB
Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you, Jess.
I used to have issues with electronic oil pressure gauge as well. The sender kept dying.

I ended up going mechanical and running steel braid into the cabin. The only bad part was that it hummed or made a small ticking sound.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:18 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by reido
I'm glad it worked out for you, Jess.
I used to have issues with electronic oil pressure gauge as well. The sender kept dying.

I ended up going mechanical and running steel braid into the cabin. The only bad part was that it hummed or made a small ticking sound.

I don't like the idea of using a mechanical one and running a line into the cabin. i think its because I remember my uncles nylon line busting and oil being all over inside the dash back in the day in his VW Scirocco. I know I know technology is a lot better now but I still don't like the idea.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:30 AM

I used all steel braid.
In fact I made my own hard lines from brake tubing that entered the cabin and then flared them to accept the an fittings.
But like I said it was loud.

Last edited by reido; 07-24-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:21 PM

i have a ss braided clutch line and it broke on me after almost 2 years. i got the techna-fit one... me = not happy about it only lasting a little under 2 years and the vendor i got it from wont reply to me on RS25.. i'mma bout to put him on blast! i just want him to say sorry it broke or that its only covered for x amount of time or hey sorry about it i can give you another for x% off but nope no reply to me like it never happened!. this was all threw pm's i'mma bout to make it public tho

Quick Reply: I suspect my oil pick up tube just snapped off