I need some help: Who wants $1000?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
I need some help: Who wants $1000?

Odd request but I'll give it a shot. I will be moving to Oahu from the Bay Area in July and I was going to bring two cats with me (I'm not gay, they're my wifes). Problem is, Hawaiian Airlines doesn't allow pets from May to September due to the heat in the cargo bay during those times (no they won't let me bring them aboard and other airlines have similar policies).

However, I am coming out to Oahu next month to start looking for a place to live and was wondering if any of you guys would be kind enough to watch my two pussies from March to July until I get there. $1000 for watching them, should cover food/litter/and other expenses. We will pay for any emergency vet visits. They are good tempered indoor cats (both male, 11 and 12 years old) and get along great with each other and our 2 year old. Don't care if you want to make them indoor/outdoor cats. Otherwise, off to the farm they go as we have not had any luck with adoption here.

Come on, somebodies gotta want some new mods. Please PM me or let me know here. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 AM

Car Info: Mbp 02 wrx vf34/ra gears
Tempting...lol! But for 5 months! I'm sure somebody will jump on this if they already have pets...Good luck!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
How are they with people and other cats? Got a petstore they could run around in.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
Let me ask my gF. We have like 5 cats and I don't think she will mind 1000 bucks watching 2 more
Old 02-04-2011, 05:01 AM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
How are they with people and other cats? Got a petstore they could run around in.
lol i was just about to bring up your name
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. The cats LOVE people. One is an orange tabby and is like a dog. The other is a grey tabby and a little more shy. He will get along with other cats. The orange tabby is questionable (we had him first and it took a few days before he accepted the other guy). I think there will be a transition period but both are very good natured cats. I have never been bitten by them and scratched only b/c a vaccum cleaner went off when I was holding him. My 2 year old abuses them regularly and has not been retaliated against.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
he will be your best bet! esp since he is an animal lover RAWR! yes homo!

and they do run a pet store......
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
I can sell you 2 BRAND NEW cats for only $500.

You can pick them up anywhere on the island. Just visit any mall parking lot or public park at night and have your pick out of hundreds. (but not until after you pay me)

Yes, they are strays, but some are cute and friendly.

Have you looked into the animal quarantine thing? It takes months to get a cat here.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
It's not bad if you started the paper work already..... hawaii isnt as strict as they once were..... they still are but now you can get the process going instead of them needing to stay at the humane society for 6months like b4
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
i just flew from here to florida and they had cats on 2 of the flights i was on. granted this was delta airlines but i don't see why you couldn't bring them if they were in a cage. if you don't get anyone else to do it i suppose i could. i luv cats and have plenty of room. GL with the move
Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Slight tangent: moving from the Bay to O'ahu will be the BEST MOVE you will have ever made in you life. Trust me, I speak from prior experience.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 PM

The Bay Area is nice but I can't wait to get there

As for the cats, my wife's been looking into this for a while so we have all the vaccinations/etc lined up for smooth transition without kitty lockdown. It's just a bummer that we can't bring them at the same time we are moving but at least she caught that now as opposed to last minute. Orange tabby is too fat to fit under the seat.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 AM

First off, thank you for all your help. Looks like I have a good lead for the cats.

On another note, to Choku Dori or anyone else, how much of a PITA is it to bring my car (stage 2 STi with hi flo cat) and get it registered there? Are they pretty strict with visual inspection/smog? Also, I know I always see a lot of modded cars when I go there but are the cops as **** there as they are here in the Bay Area regarding mods/harassing? Still debating whether I should bring my car.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by jawfxr
First off, thank you for all your help. Looks like I have a good lead for the cats.

On another note, to Choku Dori or anyone else, how much of a PITA is it to bring my car (stage 2 STi with hi flo cat) and get it registered there? Are they pretty strict with visual inspection/smog? Also, I know I always see a lot of modded cars when I go there but are the cops as **** there as they are here in the Bay Area regarding mods/harassing? Still debating whether I should bring my car.
No smog in HI!
But there is an annual Safety Inspection, and certain mods require what's called Recon(struction). What usually makes you have to go through Recon is if your car is slammed and/or running a super stiff suspension; otherwise, not much else needs Recon these days (things used to be a lot more draconian). As for the Safety Inspection, it's just a run of the mill annual "check up" on the car -- they make sure all your lights are working, that your tires aren't bald, that your rims aren't wider than your fenders, etc. Plus, they're supposed to do a visual inspection on the exhaust to make sure that it's complete (i.e. no electric cutout, unbolted muffler, etc.); you have a high flow cat so you'll be fine (no cats is supposed to be illegal, but plenty of people are running catless and aren't getting caught by Safety).

As for HPD, they're pretty lenient about mods EXCEPT for in Waikiki. However, I never had any problems there because my Safety was always up-to-date and I had no mods that required Recon. The key is to not drive anything too low, too ricey, or too ghetto into Waiks -- makes the place "look bad" to all the tourists.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you like. I went through the entire process of shipping my car to HI from the Bay (and back ). I also did a writeup in some other thread here in HIIC before IIRC.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
No smog in HI!
But there is an annual Safety Inspection, and certain mods require what's called Recon(struction). What usually makes you have to go through Recon is if your car is slammed and/or running a super stiff suspension; otherwise, not much else needs Recon these days (things used to be a lot more draconian). As for the Safety Inspection, it's just a run of the mill annual "check up" on the car -- they make sure all your lights are working, that your tires aren't bald, that your rims aren't wider than your fenders, etc. Plus, they're supposed to do a visual inspection on the exhaust to make sure that it's complete (i.e. no electric cutout, unbolted muffler, etc.); you have a high flow cat so you'll be fine (no cats is supposed to be illegal, but plenty of people are running catless and aren't getting caught by Safety).

As for HPD, they're pretty lenient about mods EXCEPT for in Waikiki. However, I never had any problems there because my Safety was always up-to-date and I had no mods that required Recon. The key is to not drive anything too low, too ricey, or too ghetto into Waiks -- makes the place "look bad" to all the tourists.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you like. I went through the entire process of shipping my car to HI from the Bay (and back ). I also did a writeup in some other thread here in HIIC before IIRC.
Music to my ears! Such a PITA here with all the harrassment. Thanks for all your help and look forward to meeting up with you guys in July

Quick Reply: I need some help: Who wants $1000?