i might need a turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Unhappy i might need a turbo.....

so i took my rex to ryan at vakamon about my recent hang up. the squeel from my car. he said its the downpipe gasket .... so i RE tightened everything on the turbo and im still getting the high pitched sound everytime the turbo kicks in to boost up. if you guys have any ideas please let me know. or if you have your stock turbo that you would want to sell.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Car Info: '05 sti
yo, i wouldn't asume its ur turbo RIGHT off the bat. Same thing happened to me and i had a boost leak (vacum hoses). anyway... do u have a cobb AP? if so try running the HWG map which can be found on the cobb tuning website.
if this doesn't help then i dono
goodluck
Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
I doubt it's your turbo. As stated in the LAST thread that you started... if you have an after market up pipe or exhaust manifold (header) then you need to double check your connections. Though they may be tight if they aren't tightened correctly then you'll get that noise. It is coming from a gasket that broke or wasn't secured enough.

you never mentioned what mods you had in the last thread. it would be a good time to list them...

waiting for the mod list

Jon
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
I doubt it's your turbo. As stated in the LAST thread that you started... if you have an after market up pipe or exhaust manifold (header) then you need to double check your connections. Though they may be tight if they aren't tightened correctly then you'll get that noise. It is coming from a gasket that broke or wasn't secured enough.

you never mentioned what mods you had in the last thread. it would be a good time to list them...

waiting for the mod list

Jon
yeah i checked and RE checked all of my gaskets. i dought that i missed or over looked any. the only thing that i have done is a up/down pipe. and as far as the AP goes yeah i wish. maybe in a little bit. i wanted to get out to the meet last frday but i had prior engagments. so i couldnt get really second opinions on the sound. i just rolled 90k so im thats way im thinking its the turbo. the chick that owned it before me i dont think had taken the time to cool it down. let me know what you guys come up with
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by aeanbrennan
yeah i checked and RE checked all of my gaskets. i dought that i missed or over looked any. the only thing that i have done is a up/down pipe. and as far as the AP goes yeah i wish. maybe in a little bit. i wanted to get out to the meet last frday but i had prior engagments. so i couldnt get really second opinions on the sound. i just rolled 90k so im thats way im thinking its the turbo. the chick that owned it before me i dont think had taken the time to cool it down. let me know what you guys come up with
elaborate more on checked and rechecked all of the gaskets...Do you take down the exhaust manifold and up pipe then reinstall them or just visually see oh their not broken.

Though the may not be broken and everything is tightened the wrong tightening sequence can a leak. I'm not sure how long you've had the up pipe and down pipe installed on the car but it wouldn't matter. normally you would know right away after installing the up pipe and getting the sound that you've messed up in tightening things in the wrong sequence. It is possible to develop a leak that isn't apparent until later (might be your case) since the gasket would be of poor quality or tightened to much causing the gasket seal from not doing it's job.

I'm still thinking it's an up pipe leak. but cannot be sure unless i hear the sound first hand. does it sound like a screaming banshee when you get on boost? Either that or it's an exhaust manifold leak that is before the up pipe. Check the bolts that connects the exhaust manifold to the engine block.

Jon
Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
is it just a whine noise or an all out screech?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 AM

Car Info: car
probably not it but, a loose bov/bpv can squeel as well..
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by austinp02
is it just a whine noise or an all out screech?
OK if you can imagine a small woman or child being murdered under the hood you will have a very good idea of what it is. i dont have a BOV . im still running the stock boost press. so i havent seen a point to geting on put in.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 PM

hmm...... did you look for women and small children when you checked the gaskets?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
hahaha :P.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by austinp02
hmm...... did you look for women and small children when you checked the gaskets?
HAHAHAHA no unfortunatly i didnt find her. was kinda hoping shed be hot. but i got another stock turbo from ryan at vakamon. so maybe itll fix my scream. dont know. if thats not it than its on to the intercooler. i might just replace that too. hhmmmm to buy or no to buy that is the question
Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 AM

i highly doubt your intercooler is the issue...