I installed my DP today

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I installed my DP today

I installed an Invidia DP today, to go along with my Perrin UP and factory STi catback. Thanks to a spare gasket from Teriyaaaaki and an adapter from Kakumei, pretty much everything went smoothly. The worst part was trimming the stock turbo heatshield, I ended up winging it instead of making a pattern and it took me 5 tries to get it right.

There is a soft, metallic ringing or pinging sound coming from under the car. Is that an exhaust leak? There are of course, a whole bunch of other sounds coming through the DP, I assume that the whistling sound is the wastegate(?). Surprisingly, the exhaust is not much louder, even with all the cats gone - the factory STi muffler must soak up a lot of sound. I also used an Ebay mechanical CEL fix - I haven't thrown a CEL yet, but I heard that it can sometimes take a few hundred miles.

The best part is that the gas pedal seems directly connected to the boost gauge. Before installing the DP, there would be a slight hesitation in the building of boost (according to the gauge, anyway). Now, the needle jumps instantly with every movement of the throttle.

Next step: after the holidays, I'll pick up a Tactix cable and XPT Stage 2 map. That'll probably be it for now, I like the stealthy exhaust even though a fat, burned titanium tip poking out from under the bumper would be cool.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Car Info: Wave riding vehicle
Awesome Ross..Call me up.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
did you remember to put the bolt back in the bracket for the DP? there's a hanger in front of where the DP and catback go together that has a bolt through it. make sure you put that back and if so check the clearance between the DP and the shielding underneath. it does move a little and it's probably hitting that. GL
Old 12-23-2007, 01:33 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by 04sleeper
did you remember to put the bolt back in the bracket for the DP? there's a hanger in front of where the DP and catback go together that has a bolt through it. make sure you put that back and if so check the clearance between the DP and the shielding underneath. it does move a little and it's probably hitting that. GL
Wow, I'm glad I posted. When I read this, I remembered that I had put the "J" hook bolt in only hand tight (the bracket 04sleeper mentioned above). The DP side has a slot instead of a hole, so I figured that one should be tightened last because it had some play. I just checked and, sure enough, the bolt was ready to fall out. I'll find out tomorrow when I head out if that was the noise I was hearing, but I'm pretty sure the DP rattling against the "J" hook was making the noise.

Thanks, guys.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Yeah it's either that or the Dp is banging against something...check clearances...if it is close to anything you might want to get kartboy hangers which solve most of those problems.

I guess you could use wrap or the heat resistant sound deadening stuff too.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
dont do the wrap..............i heard from a little bird that its a fire hazard????????
Old 12-23-2007, 02:54 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
^^heat wrap? i don't see how it could be provided it is done correctly. i plan on wrapping my header when i get around to not being so lazy