Hypermiling Catching on in Hawaii- KHON2

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Is there some way we could smuggle in some gas from Venezuela?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by bpang1
You know, I really don't get affected much by the gas prices going up unless the gas prices go absolutely crazy to like what they gotta pay in Europe or Japan.

I bought this car because I like driving "fun-like" and I knew I'd have to pay to play the game. Really, if I cared much I would be driving a much more fuel efficient car.
If there was less traffic and people on the road, i could focus on more fun driving. I guess that's why i do my driving off public roads.

And judging by the responses on i-club, i shoulda expected there would be little interest in hypermiling. Which is unfortunate because when i do my off road driving, i don't see many other suby owners around.
I really don't mind inflated gas prices, see:
Originally Posted by 808subaru
I'm gonna hi-jack if you don't mind Dave. Found this on NY times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/bu...in&oref=slogin
The saudi's are increasing they're oil by 1/2 million barrels a day. Although I'm not happy with higher gas prices, we need to face the music. More and more nations need fuel, and we compete to get it at whatever prices the market will allow. Currently it's at $130 a barrel. Think of all the countries that can't afford as much, or have to pay more for it. Basically I'm glad it takes all the monster trucks and Hummers off the road, and their stupid drivers. I personally expect it to hit $5/gal. soon, and don't mind it. I can afford it, and those that get 6-8 miles a gallon (see: hummer, titan's) driving by themselves around looking cool will suffer.
OK, sorry for the hijack, didn't wanna start my own thread...........

Last edited by 808subaru; 06-18-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
MythBusters did a episode on "drafting" to see if it increased fuel economy by following a big rig, they used a 4 door sedan. They measured the outcome on diffent distances from the truck at 60mph. The results were it increased by over 200% but you need to be 5-10 feet away from the trucks rear. I tryed looking for the video on youtube, but all I found was the older episode on drafting with a bike. IMO, drafting any car that close will add a crap load of fresh rock chips to your bumper daily.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Car Info: subaru
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
heard on the radio the other day the most expensive gas is in Sierra Leone which is at $18 and some change a gallon. Venezuela being the cheapest at 14 cents a gallon.
I saw a show the other day that had Iran at ¥12/Liter and Kenya at ¥247/Liter. That was ridiculous. We were averaged at ¥112/Liter if I recall correctly...

You know, I really don't get affected much by the gas prices going up unless the gas prices go absolutely crazy to like what they gotta pay in Europe or Japan.

I bought this car because I like driving "fun-like" and I knew I'd have to pay to play the game. Really, if I cared much I would be driving a much more fuel efficient car.
Me too. That's why I'm bringing my Subie to Japan instead of buying a Suzuki Kei or something like that. We truly have some good cars that're worth the price. I figured we all felt the same since we're part of a "Subaru club".
Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by kawshon1
Amen, I swear the both of us think alike.
Shall we hump? Ha ha ha
Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 808subaru
If there was less traffic and people on the road, i could focus on more fun driving. I guess that's why i do my driving off public roads.

I get you...I could just never drive my Suby like that (hypermiling)...would be like "why the heck am I driving this if I'm not gonna enjoy it?!"

Would rather just do like you and grab a Yaris or Fit...better yet, a Miata.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM

Car Info: toaster
Shall we hump? Ha ha ha
no you homo lol
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
I agree with some of you fellas, If you need to pay to play. When I bought my STi, I knew it was going to suck on gas. I don't mind paying the cost, but for the love of god, $4.50 is getting crazy!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 AM

Car Info: 06 aspen white wrx ltd/American Electric F-150
i seen this thing on hypermiling where the driver was constantly turning on and off his car (including starting the car in drive) while he's going down the road. not too mention that he was also pushing his car for a little bit here and there.

i dont know if the cost of wear and tear on your body (ie: pushing the car) and your car (ie: starter,transmission) is worth saving $20 a week
Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by YamazakiSubaru
I saw a show the other day that had Iran at ¥12/Liter and Kenya at ¥247/Liter. That was ridiculous. We were averaged at ¥112/Liter if I recall correctly...

Me too. That's why I'm bringing my Subie to Japan instead of buying a Suzuki Kei or something like that. We truly have some good cars that're worth the price. I figured we all felt the same since we're part of a "Subaru club".
Left hand drive Japanese car in Japan is gonna be PIMP!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:44 AM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by desmundo
i seen this thing on hypermiling where the driver was constantly turning on and off his car (including starting the car in drive) while he's going down the road. not too mention that he was also pushing his car for a little bit here and there.

i dont know if the cost of wear and tear on your body (ie: pushing the car) and your car (ie: starter,transmission) is worth saving $20 a week
I heard of this guy that turned off his car at every red light because "the car uses gas even in idle" and he would start up his car just before it was his turn to go when the light turned green, any implications with this?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 AM

Car Info: Black 05 STi
Originally Posted by 04silverWRXSTI
I heard of this guy that turned off his car at every red light because "the car uses gas even in idle" and he would start up his car just before it was his turn to go when the light turned green, any implications with this?
Yeah, it takes a crap load more gas to start the car than to just sit and idol....but i've heard that with the newer cars, it is taking less and less gas to start up.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 AM

Car Info: Black 05 STi
by the way, drafted behind a huge tour bus from ewa to town today. you can feel the difference, although i hate driving so close behind people.. i'm pretty sure i pissed him off cuz he brake checked me 3 or 4 times. when you get too far behind, left or right of the vehicle in front of you, you can feel the air move the car...kinda shakes a little bit.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04silverWRXSTI
Dale Earnhardy Jr. did it to win the last Nextel Cup race last weekend. I remember reading it because people were complaining that he was bending the rules too much or something like that.

During the Yellows he would blast it down one straight then shut off the engine and coast behind the pace car...he even passed the pace car at one point. But apparently it was all legal according to their rules.

This is opposed to all his competitors that had to pit and get a splash of gas to finish. So in these terms doing the drive then shut down thing can help MPG.

BTW - wasn't there someone on here who got like 50 MPG at one point? It was the tall Japanese guy with the mexican/spanish sounding first name (sorry dude I haven't seen you in 3 years so I forget...I suck).

Last edited by bpang1; 06-19-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 AM

Car Info: Justy
BTW - wasn't there someone on here who got like 50 MPG at one point? It was the tall Japanese guy with the mexican/spanish sounding first name (sorry dude I haven't seen you in 3 years so I forget...I suck).
That would be the one and only Julio!

Quick Reply: Hypermiling Catching on in Hawaii- KHON2