Hurricane Gustav - Main i-Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Hurricane Gustav - Main i-Club Thread

OK guys some of you may know I work for the American Red Cross.

Here's the general info on what's going down right now of course there are many other websites but by and large our national website can tell you what is going down in terms of the response effort. http://www.redcross.org/

It's right on the front page as far as everything we're doing to get ready to respond as well as shelter evacuees. Officially we are calling this a "Large Scale Mass Care Event"...basically a huge effort to provide shelters for over a million people evacuating from LA.

The American Red Cross is taking the following readiness actions:

-Nearly 200 mobile feeding trucks have moved into Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
-More than 100,000 cots, 200,000 blankets, tens of thousand of comfort kits, and ready to eat meals have moved into coastal states. Those supplies are being loaded onto 99 shelter support trailers to be dispersed throughout the region.
-Operational headquarters are setup in Dallas, TX; Baton Rouge, LA; Hattiesburg, MS and Montgomery, AL.
-Red Cross will be ready with shelters, food, and emotional support.

People are being evacuated by FEMA to states that make up LA's FEMA Region such as Georgia, Kentucky, Texas, etc. We will be setting up numerous shelters throughout the region to provide people with food, shelters and emotional support.

We could use all your help right now...specifially for 2 things:

1. We need volunteers both locally (if you're in an area with shelters being setup) or to be deployed to the area. Please use the zip code search on our site to find your local chapter and sign up...it's very hard to put into words how important volunteers are for this effort but let me tell you that it is critically vital that we get your help.

2. If you can't volunteer, please donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. We've had a pretty busy year so far and as far as I know the fund is pretty low. Please contact your local chapter for more info.

Bottom line: This is an extremely bad situation we are looking at. We need people from across the nation to lend a hand in whatever way they can. At the very least help us spread the word.

Feel free to leave questions here and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. Please keep snide remarks and pictures of "the looter" to the OT thread that someone else put up.

Thank you so much for reading this...if you are in the affected area please know that we are thinking of you!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:44 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Sigma Pi Fraternity International has a bunch of fund raisers to help the red cross

this is more so a bump
Old 08-31-2008, 08:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Thanks brother...and thank you to the mods for not moving it to OT like at friendly NASIOC.