HPD Anti-Speeding Program

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Car Info: TurboXS BOV, it's all I got... FOR NOW!
Originally Posted by shaggadelic
they don't need to have there lights on u knw
Yeah but wouldnt you think as a "safety" issue to warn other civilians??? Because I guaruntee you that all it takes is black cop car flying it down the freeway at night or wherever, people cant see them coming and they change right into there lane??? What you think about that?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Car Info: '13 WRX Hatch OBP
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I guess I really don't understand. It seems like no one can ever say anything about a cop's actions without a cop bashing post or two coming up and people immediatley jumping into taking sides. To some, they can do no right and to others anything you say "you don't appreciate the heros that put their lives on the line." Can we just acknowledge that, just like everyone else (bank tellers, firefighters, llama herders, mechanics, etc) there are good and bad???????

When I see an ambulance or a firetruck or a cop with lights on behind me (and I am always keeping tabs on what's around me, part of a driver's job) I move to the right and stop as safely and quickly as possible. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. If people get panicked and do stupid stuff then they are a bad driver. When I see a 4Runner or a Camaro heading at me ***** out who the hell knows if it's a cop or not unless he has his light on.

The simple point, and all I was trying to say was that if a cop would ON his light when driving irresponsibly, the people like me would getTF outta his way, and the people that look down on cops would see the action of his light being on and note that maybe just maybe it is official business. No, they do not have to have their lights on but IT MAKES SENSE TO TURN THEM ON.

Your post makes it sound like no cop has ever done anything shady. I hate it when people act like that. My uncle is in the police force in LA (22 yrs) and he's a great guy, and we have talked at length about the people that aren't. I always off my car, down the windows, put keys on the dash and hands on the wheel when I get pulled over because I KNOW it must suck to walk over to a car not knowing what is in store for you. I always am 'yessir/nosir' because I have respect for them. Usually I get treated like crap, get false accusations etc. I know the last guy he might have seen might have been a jerk but that's not my fault - that's part of the job. If they can't handle that - they shouldn't be cops. I know I cannot, so I am not a cop. I am glad there are people that are and can. It's too bad there are people that suck (whatever uniform they wear) but there are, and it's not bashing to acknowledge that.

BTW - I have never heard of a firefighter doing any of the crappy things I have heard about other people. From my experience growing up in HI and living for 8 years in CA, cops have a bad reputation for a reason even though there are some seriously good guys out there on the front lines.

Being a cop is NOT sole justification for driving like an *** and putting people's lives in danger. If I were a cop, I would try to set an example as I believe cops should. They are people too and are not above criticism. Every cop that does something that pisses off the public is JUST making things worse for other cops. Why not try to set an example instead of doing things that WE ALL KNOW pisses off the public?? Whether the need to have the light on or not, whether your average person can tell it's on or not (wtf?) it's JUST A GOOD IDEA.

As far as kissing your blue slacks wearing a$$, I will do my best to not let your attitude and comments affect my otherwise high regard for Police Officers.
I dont know you and clearly you dont know me. You can ask anyone in here who knows me, they know I don't have that "di** head" cop attitude. To respond I have these points:

A. Peter (lostuncertain) is my friend and I was sticking up for him because people were giving him attitude for this thread gettin out of hand, and as far as the blue slacks comment. It was a JOKE. You know funny ha ha. Sorry you took it as anything else.

B. My best friend is a firefighter. That too was a JOKE. I have not one thing wrong with firefighters, I work with them everyday and I say that to their face. Why because it is funny and true. The only people who wave to cops are little kids and badguys. EVERYONE waves to firefighters.

C. Maybe you should go on a ride-a-long with someone that works traffic. Ride with them on H-1 with their lights on. You would be suprised at how many people slam on the the brakes and don't get over. Having your ABS kick in at 120 mph is not fun. And think about this; if you catch someone on Laser at 80mph, logic says you have to drive faster than 80mph to catch him from a dead stop.

I dont know you and trust me wont take anything personal, but read the thread man I didn't make any excuses for cops, I was trying to be light hearted and joke. This is why I dont like to respond to these threads because I am not a serious person and joke a lot, people always take things out of context, get on their soap box and preach.

Where did I ever say that cops don't do anything wrong? I think I said cops aren't perfect and don't pretend to be. Cops are humans and sometimes when humans have power they let it get to their heads. No argument here.

You've been on the site for a while and I respect what you say a lot of the times. Please do not disrespect me because you read things at face value. Can we leave it at that *reaches out to shake hand*
Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Thanks for this reply, it clears it up for me. I didn't think I was on a soapbox but I can see how it would seem that way. My best friend is also a firefighter (though in Louisiana now, born/raised in HI) so I hear stories from him and the crap he has gone through and done. I have 2 police officers in my family and hear it from them too.

To be honest I would love to go for a ride-along because until then, frankly I don't know what I am talking about beyond my own experience on my side of my car window. I am in Hilo tho so it might have to be a while. I live on the same street as the police station here and I am often in my yard or chasing skateboard sized roaches with my slippas. Every time a cop goes by, I wave and smile because I have compassion and respect. One time an officer stopped to tell me he has seen all the cool stuff I have done with my yard and he likes to see improvement in the area - how cool is that!

I apologize for taking your comments wrong - that was dumb, especially after all the stuff I have been saying about taking things wrong (dumb). I did not realize this guy was your friend, and saw the 'cop bashing' and 'we don't have to run with our lights' 'kiss my slacks' etc and I guess I started having mouth-diahrrea based on previous comments that weren't yours. I was not saying cops must have the light on, just offering one citizen's voice saying what it would look like from my driver's seat when a cop whips by with or without the light on.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Cheers, and "e-handshake" returned.

Originally Posted by Hoppie
I dont know you and clearly you dont know me. You can ask anyone in here who knows me, they know I don't have that "di** head" cop attitude. To respond I have these points:

A. Peter (lostuncertain) is my friend and I was sticking up for him because people were giving him attitude for this thread gettin out of hand, and as far as the blue slacks comment. It was a JOKE. You know funny ha ha. Sorry you took it as anything else.

B. My best friend is a firefighter. That too was a JOKE. I have not one thing wrong with firefighters, I work with them everyday and I say that to their face. Why because it is funny and true. The only people who wave to cops are little kids and badguys. EVERYONE waves to firefighters.

C. Maybe you should go on a ride-a-long with someone that works traffic. Ride with them on H-1 with their lights on. You would be suprised at how many people slam on the the brakes and don't get over. Having your ABS kick in at 120 mph is not fun. And think about this; if you catch someone on Laser at 80mph, logic says you have to drive faster than 80mph to catch him from a dead stop.

I dont know you and trust me wont take anything personal, but read the thread man I didn't make any excuses for cops, I was trying to be light hearted and joke. This is why I dont like to respond to these threads because I am not a serious person and joke a lot, people always take things out of context, get on their soap box and preach.

Where did I ever say that cops don't do anything wrong? I think I said cops aren't perfect and don't pretend to be. Cops are humans and sometimes when humans have power they let it get to their heads. No argument here.

You've been on the site for a while and I respect what you say a lot of the times. Please do not disrespect me because you read things at face value. Can we leave it at that *reaches out to shake hand*
Old 08-10-2005, 02:00 PM

Thanks man, sorry we kinda got off on the wrong foot.

Laters,
Dan
Old 08-10-2005, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

Laters,
Dan

Haha... No worries since it was me reacting to your light-hearted (I can see that now) post. I need to practice what I preach..... Or maybe stop preaching.

-Jacob
Old 08-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon

Laters,
Dan
How's work my former co-worker!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by 04sleeper
and chuckie, 90% of the time your postwhoring....so don't talk.
Did I say I post quality stuff all the time? I don't think so. So back off.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
speakin as a military cop, i do know that we/they do as they please. but i have no love for hpd. they hate us military guys/haolies. but i too have seen these "muscle" cop cars, just seen a newer stang near windward mall yesterday. i dont know whats up with that, but i wouldnt screw aroudn with them...considering the money they get for vehicles, they are prolly pretty quick. and a cop without his codes on? well, he was prolly off duty. we all know that they are reqd to have them on at night..
Old 08-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Smile

let me counter that post by sayin that it isnt right...i dont do that....
Old 08-10-2005, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
ive been pulled over 4 times for a total of 7 violations (only two were speeding) and ive never been given a citation. im just as "haole" as the next guy so speak for yourself. not to mention a good deal of the police here are haole...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:01 PM

hmmm...new one on me....but then again, ive never been pulled. but all of the hpd guys ive seen are locals...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
I guess I'm kind of a local haole, and in HPD. Mr. X-factor, you have much to learn about HPD.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM

^^^friggin haole. What up narc? Everthing is good. Not much different here, Im at work on the computer. did you sell the wagon yet, trade it in for a mini-van? Legacy GT all the way.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:24 PM

ok. speaking as a military cop, i must say that while we technically arent above the law, we do get away with alot. i think that the military cops (marine corps type), are more honest with what they do than the civdiv guys. i do think its wrong for an officer to be speeding when not in code status, i would not do it and i dont support it. we do have special training for high speed/defensive driving, but that again doesnt matter if the retard in the corolla cant drive and gets surprised. all in all, officers of the law no matter what jurisdiction break the law both in and out of duty code status. sometimes it has to be done. other times its just that officer wanting to look cool and do what he wants. as far as the hypocritical aspect....they are just hating and bored. we all know that. i will never be like that, because i am what they hate. ok im done...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by da tall guy
I guess I'm kind of a local haole, and in HPD. Mr. X-factor, you have much to learn about HPD.
da tall guy: i realize that i dont know that much about yall, and i appologize if i came off as bashing. not my intent. from personal experience i have nothing bad to say about you guys.

Quick Reply: HPD Anti-Speeding Program