How much chamber F/R (AUTO-X)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Originally Posted by iNfEk
NOW THIS IS THE I-CLUB THAT I REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY. we used to get in trouble from alex for creating technical threads and discussing them. this to me is technical but not as technical is this thread could be. I'd like to learn more about this part of my car to make me a better driver and so that i can control it

Thanks

Jon
I agree with you. More technical stuff is not bad, only good. I see Alex's point on WHERE to put such discussions but we're not over the top here, so its allllll good. Knowledge is king when it comes to cars. GIJoe style - where knowing is half the battle
ps Jealous of your corner weighting ability on Oahu. I know there are scales here, but they're had to get a hold of. For now I'm just guessing and have raised the front corner height .25 inches to compensate for the battery and my 190lbs in the hot seat.

RISK - 3rd gear pulls at auto-x? UBER JEALOUS. Our damm mini's on Kumho's wouldn't have a chance there. Our autox is run on Hilo's gokart track. Very tight, many repeated sections, and smooth pavement with "rough grip" tendancy. I rarely see 2nd gear, ever...our fast times are usually around a minute or so.Often the track is greasy, which makes flicking and e-brake rotations easier. I've run about 12 auto-xs here and have found that these rally based techniques are faster here than trying to grip the whole time. This is event dependant though as some months do not favor such styles. I think having a farm permit @ 13 years old and driving for years on dirt/snow before I ever hit any pavement makes slides of any kind feel more comfortable. And to get around the tightest of turns quickest in an Impreza almost requires it here.

As far as my height question.. FWIW I believe that on a 1.5" lowered Impreza the BJE's correct the position on the camber curve and gain you .75deg or static camber. Food for thought... less food for wallet..
Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
vaj

i'm thinking about that 6guns piece. kinda pricey but if it works gotta pay to play.

also, how low is to low?

Jon
Anything past 1.5" is gonna be a bit naff on the camber curve. Try to stay about there or less below stock. Keep in mind that if your stock setup was getting "tired" (read height below factory spec range) that you want to go down from the factory specs when setting the height. On my STi I'm at 14" in front and 13.5 rear. I believe that is about 1.25 below stock but don't quote me on that. My car was too low when I put on my CO's and the ride was kinda weak. MUCH better where it is now.

The sixgun racing pieces are awesome. I have seen them in person and they are BEEFY. The effect on my friends car was very positive. $$$ to be sure, but worth it for competition. Worth it for lowered DD's too, but maybe too much $$ for the benefit of non-racers.

I'm gonna get a set, but it's going to be a while.. Maybe the price will drop? YEAH RIGHT. LOL.....
Old 09-25-2006, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
I'm probably going to pick up a set soon. according to what you said about the height of my setup vs stock. I'm definatley NOT stock setup since I got the coilovers on. I'll have to probably get this piece :banana:

the last time I checked my ball joints weren't bad so I'm hoping that I won't have to replacement at the time of install. But if it is bad then that's the time to do them!

yes, we would get in trouble for posting technical information in HIIC since a lot of people would flock to our forum and not post anything in the right area.

I miss those days of tech knowledge and sharing...

I wish someone would BETTER LEARN ME to drive better at AUTOX

Jon
Old 09-25-2006, 05:11 PM

alignment before or after the sixguns?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Auto-x is all about technique. Our next event is a test-n-tune so we'll provide our drivers with as much seat time as they want that day. Also, we'll provide a full service center so a driver can tweak their car if they want.

I will probably be breaking in the Ohlins at this event and using the last of my re070s.

As for the ball joint relocation kit, That'll probably be for next season.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
vaj

Yeah, check the ***** before you order stuffs. At least the ball joints are cheap(ish.) As far as auto-x, just get an experienced person in your passenger seat for a few runs. The weight tradeoff is minimal compared to the valuable information you hopefully will receive. Thats what I did in the beginning and it was the best thing I could've done. I got much faster after some learnin. I'm fairly new to auto-x too (12-15 events) and I am usually in the top 5 finishers. I would've won it yesterday but I clipped a cone and lost by 2 tenths. To the mini on Kumhos. Driven by my boss. Again.. hahaha
Old 09-25-2006, 05:28 PM
vaj

alignment before or after the sixguns?

sixgunracing.com has the deets on the alignment setting pre/post BJE's. There is a change in toe that is significant and requires re-alignment. I'll see if Hawke will chime in here on his experience with them...
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 PM

I'm not a novice at the sport however I cannot seem to get over my trust issues with the AWD system. this happened when I became a father (as stated in another thread).

funny thing is that they won't allow me to have another instructor.. LOL

Jon
Old 09-25-2006, 05:41 PM

I've been doing Solo for years, but still learning. You can always improve, it's a process not a result.

I spent part of the fun runs yesterday mentoring a younger driver in his car - showing him the parts to a corner (brake zone, turn-in, apex, exit). He made a common novice mistake - carrying too much speed into the corner and not applying enough brake. He would be so late on corner turn-in that he would miss the apex and apply so much steering input to make up for the mistakes made earlier. He would essentially be chasing. This resulted in a lot of understeer.

I showed him to brake earlier and initiate turn in earlier. He started to pickup the technique later on. After improving his cornering, he was actually slower than when using his own method. However, he now knows where to apply braking and turning in a corner. He now has to figure out how much of it he needs to do in each part of the corner.

This young driver finally found "the line" by his second fun-run. He just needs to practice more to get quicker.

You can be quick without using the fundamentals, but you cannot be consistent. Using the fundamentals results in consistency.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:41 PM
vaj

no WAy! They won't let you have another instructor! I forget how new auto-x is on Big Island..

As far as the father thing, I agree. (I read that other thread too.) My kid is 17months now and the ONLY place I'm comfortable driving at the limit is auto-x. Do trust the AWD though.. great system that works well for all its simplicity. Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
vaj

Originally Posted by Risk3233
You can be quick without using the fundamentals, but you cannot be consistent. Using the fundamentals results in consistency.
And truer words than this cannot be spoken...
Old 09-27-2006, 12:32 AM

I'm hoping that with the new suspension i can find more confidence to drive harder...

I'm very much considering the 6 guns piece, I'd like to see if I can get it BEFORE the 15th of October

Jon
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM

Suspension mods should be done incrementally, one at a time that way you can limit the variables and making adjustments to your driving is made easier. IMO drive the Oct. event on the new coils and see how that is. Save the other mod for the next event.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 AM

I agree as well regarding the staged upgrade. however, since I'll have to get ANOTHER alignment after the installation of the 6guns piece I'd like to take care of that all at one time.

we'll see

Jon