How much chamber F/R (AUTO-X)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Question How much chamber F/R (AUTO-X)?

How much chamber does everyone use on their WRX/STI for Auto-X purposes?

Does anyone know what the stock alignment numbers are?

Jon
Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
I'm running 2.1 degrees negative camber and about 6.5 degrees caster.

I'm on RCE camber plates and JDM pink springs.

As I recall it, the OEM camber on my car was less than .5 degrees.

BTW my car runs in SM here on Maui.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:21 PM

Thanks.

I know very little about suspension tuning.

I'll be on coilovers. How much toe, camber and caster?

After I receive my new coilovers in a couple of days I'll be getting an alignment shortly after. What should I request?

Jon

- I've got camber bolts in the rear
Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 PM

I've been racing Solo off and on since the mid 80s. Ask Shiroikage, he knows.

As for alignment settings. A lot of this depends on what you use the car for. If it's a track ****, then max out the camber, caster, and maybe a little toe out in the front.

You need to remember that the tires won't last too long, the car will follow grooves in the road, and the low speed turning (i.e. parking lots) will be harder.

The STi is definitely camber challenged, not enough from the factory. Also the macpherson strut front suspension eats camber as the degrees of roll increases.

You want to max out your static camber if it's a track car and maybe be in the 2.0 degree negative range for a DD/Solo car. As for caster, max it out. Caster helps maintain camber when you are cornering hard, but inreases steering effort in low speeds.

I run factory toe because my car is a DD and a Solo car and toe out tends to eat tires more than negative camber.

Try not to lower the car tow much because all kinds of bad things happen when you lower a strut based car too much (i.e. bump steer, etc).

Use a very large front sway bar so that you can maintain your static camber when cornerning. Use a medium bar in the rear so that you don't get too much rear wheel lift in corners. I'm going to assume that the coilovers you use will have much less droop travel than OEM, so be careful with using too stiff a rear bar.

This info should get you started.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 PM

LOL... oops

I forgot to mention that I've been at auto-x before but seem to suck at it!

I've got the following for suspension already:

Tein Flex (replacing with STANCE coilovers)
F/R Cusco sway bars (rears set to middle setting)
F/R Cusco tower bars
F/R KB Endlinks
Steering Rack bushings
225/45/17 KDW
Cusco H brace

I usually run the suspension on the hardest setting (1) front and rear and sometimes play with the front dampening and soften it.

After installing the new coilovers I'll be getting an alignment and want to know to know what I should request if possible?

This will be a DD and Solo car since we don't have track days anymore or even drag racing.

I have approximately about 1 finger gap on the front and about 1.5-2 fingers in the rear this is not the lowest the suspension can go.

Thanks for the help! I'd really like to learn more about suspension tuning

Jon

Last edited by iNfEk; 09-17-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 PM

I'd need to know a little about the spring rates of the coilovers you are installing.

The reason being, that if they come with really stiff rates, then you can run less static camber and less FSB.

However, if they are street coilovers with moderate rates, then you need to get at least 2.0 degrees negative camber up front and if the pillow ***** allow caster, then max that out. You probably need bigger sway bars as well so that you can maintain the static camber in the corners. With moderate spring rates, a giant bar is your friend. I'm running a 27-29mm Whiteline and I think I still need more front bar.

It sounds like you may be too low to be in the desirable part of the spring/damper curve. Try raising it a little, but the ultimate would be to corner balance the car to get the most even weight distribution left to right and the ideal ride height.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:29 AM

Car Info: cars
i'll help you set it up when you get the new coilovers. when you get the new coilovers, we can setup the camber & toe. i'm not sure if your new tophats will allow caster adjustments. it's my belief that the suspension setups are different for drivers based on their driving style. what works well for one person may not produce the same results for someone else of equal ability.

btw, did you want to get everything aligned at a shop or in your garage?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:38 AM

well the spring rates on the flex's are 8k/6k the same for the STANCE but the difference is the STANCE coilovers are monotube inverted strut design. The Tein Flex's are Twin Tube NON-inverted.

Ty: Thanks for the offer I'll definately give you a call. I did have my car aligned at shops. I've also messed with the chamber adjustments at home after the alignment

It's about that time I get a alignment anyway (if i were to continue running the Tein's) but since I'm getting new coilovers I'll be getting the alignment.

you are right about the suspension setup for different driving styles. I think the biggest thing that I'm lacking at auto-x isn't alignment or anything to do with the car and EVERYTHING to do with ME. I need to work on the letting go factor and being able to cross my "safety zone" since it's a controlled area.

should I tighten the rear sway to the tightest setting?

Jon
Old 09-18-2006, 12:43 AM

The STi can be pushed so hard that sometimes when you think you're driving out of shape, the car can actually do more.

I agree that driving styles will affect setup, but the principles of going fast are pretty much universal regardless of suspension setup.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 AM

For some reason (I dunno if it has to do with me being a father now) but I don't totally trust the AWD system for some reason. I could just let go before. Now I'm finding it hard to past my "safety zone"

I'll have to work on that.

Thanks for the info. Any other good info that you'd like to share on suspension tuning would be greatly appreciated!

Do you know of any books that I could read to learn more and understand the dynamics of our suspension system?

Jon
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 AM

Jon,
I ran camber -2.1 front, -1.8 rear.
just tell tech to max caster
toe I ran stock settings.

BTW this is pretty aggressive.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:07 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by iNfEk
For some reason (I dunno if it has to do with me being a father now) but I don't totally trust the AWD system for some reason. I could just let go before. Now I'm finding it hard to past my "safety zone"

Jon

I have this same problem ever since I got married. Not necessarily AWD but driving to the cars limits.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jakes02
I have this same problem ever since I got married. Not necessarily AWD but driving to the cars limits.
LOL.. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Are you telling me it's going to get worse after I get married!

OH GOD... I cannot be helped!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by islandx
Jon,
I ran camber -2.1 front, -1.8 rear.
just tell tech to max caster
toe I ran stock settings.

BTW this is pretty aggressive.
Thanks for the info Steve. How was your tire wear for daily driving?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 PM

Car Info: cars
keep in mind that adding some toe out on the front will help your turn in. i would keep the rear sway bar in the middle so you have a basis to compare if you need more or less in the rear.

btw, steve's setup is aggressive. i'd get the car aligned to -1.2 to -1.5 i the front (then adjust with the camber plates) and -1.0 to -1.5 in the rear. it'll allow you to keep the wear on your rear tires down during street use, but also allow for better traction during auto-x.

Quick Reply: How much chamber F/R (AUTO-X)?