honolulu marathon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
honolulu marathon?

any of you fockers going to participate? gonna be my first marathon and don't know what to expect but pain! figured if I could do a 12mile ruck march with 45+lbs, combat boots, and some asu's, I should be fine. Just something I think I should do to see my limits. I am nowhere near a 13 min two mile runner and have yet to run 10 consecutive miles...... cant wait!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
F that. GL bruce!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Forewarning, don't take what I say next negatively, because it isn't, but you should surely be prepared for what you are attempting.

I ran the marathon in 2011, and participated in the training series as well as trained with Team Jet for 4 months previous to the race.

To put your experience in perspective, our 3 time a week training consisted of 2 days, 6 miles each, and one long run on Sunday.

The first long run we did was 12 miles.

The last long run we did was 22 miles.... 3 months later.

However, I think you will be fine as long as you don't push yourself faster than a pace you are comfortable with. Also, run/walking would be good. For instance, do 10 min run, 5 min walk. It is incredibly important that you maintain your pace throughout the race or you will not make it. The start itself is very exciting, you will have a lot of adrenaline going as you start and you will want to just take off... don't.

I maintained 11.5min/mile, and finished in 4hrs 45min and thought I was going to die, seriously. Key is maintaining the pace.

Some things that helped me greatly were:

1) My own water bottle with high electrolyte concentration solution. This is something to sip on periodically, and should last you the entire race. The rest stops provide water, and some provide gatorade, but they won't be enough to keep your electrolytes replenished because you simply sweat too much.

2) Gels/Chews: Go try some out, and pick whatever you like best. My preference were Hammer Coffee Gels, and Gatoraid chews. You will need the sugar to keep going. I like caffeinated gels, you might not.

3) Ziplock bag with 4-6 Tylenol in it: This will help your muscles relax and keep you in your stride, in addition it is important to stretch at least once during the race if you plan on walking at all afterwards/ the next day.

4) Music: Personally this was probably the most important thing I had. It just keeps you in a good mindset and gives you something else to think about other than how much you are hurting, make a playlist 12 hours long or around there so you don't end up listening to the same stuff over and over!

Running the marathon was one of the coolest and most fulfilling things I have done in my life, I recommend everyone do it at least once. You will be fine and I'm sure feel the same way afterwards! Good luck and whatever you do, finish the race! Even if you have to crawl!