Honolulu help ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:36 AM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Re: Honolulu help ...

Originally posted by Bonggoy
I might get posted in Hawaii for a long period of time (at least 10 months). I need to know how much does a room rental cost in Honolulu? Not sure exactly where I wanted to live but I would like to reside in a place where public transportation is readily available.

Does anyone have any experience shipping a car from mainland to Honolulu? How much does it usually cost?

Thanks.

Ronnie
Aloha Ronnie,

Not much time this morning as we are heading out, but I recently moved from Vegas here. The car quotes I got cost me from $1300 to $1600. I paid $1400 to ship through Classic International. There are some websiteslike 123movers.com and Atlas Van Lines has one that will let you submit your move and get quotes. Rooms cost anywhere from $800 to $1400 a month from what I have seen. Of course by "room" Im not sure if you mean full apartment or just a room. Check out rentalsillustrated.com and that gives you a better idea. There are a couple threads you can search on in this forum I think called "Relocating to Hawaii" and something else. Sorry not much time to send more info.

Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
about shipping your car, ... it really depends on Where you ship from. You can ship to/from LA for about $800.

If you're looking for a studio, it'll run anywhere from $600 or so on up. A lot of different price ranges for renting depending upon, where it's at, and what kind of 'living environment' you want.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
survive, yes, .... want to survive, ... no.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by Bonggoy
I am from the East Coast (Philadelphia) so I would see that shipping it would be very costly.
I'd recommend driving it to San Fran.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:38 AM

Car Info: SRP GC6
Smile

Does anyone have any experience shipping a car from mainland to Honolulu? How much does it usually cost?
Shipping a car from Oakland/LA is a little more than $900. And it takes about 4-5 days to arrive. Then another 2-3 weeks before you can pick it up. If your car is modified prepare to go through a PITA recon/saftey check/registration process.

How's the public transportation? Can I survive in Honolulu without owning a car?
Public transportation is not bad near the University (where I am) but I dont know about anywhere else.
If you don't bring a car I suggest buying a moped to get around, no insurance or motorcycle licence required and only a one time registration fee. They can go pretty much wherever cars can go except the freeway, and can be found dirt cheap.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:03 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
4-5 days to ship from the west coast and ONLY a few days after that for your car to be available and out of the container it was shipped in. It never takes "weeks" to unload a boat. An average boat only takes some 48 hours to completely unload, load, and fuel up before leaving a port. It's all about turn around for shipping companies.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:07 PM

Car Info: SRP GC6
4-5 days to ship from the west coast and ONLY a few days after that for your car to be available and out of the container it was shipped in. It never takes "weeks" to unload a boat. An average boat only takes some 48 hours to completely unload, load, and fuel up before leaving a port. It's all about turn around for shipping companies.
I didn't mean that it takes weeks to unload the boat, but they are currently "backed up" (at least they were 2 weeks ago when i recieved my car) and after the boat was unloaded i wasn't alloud to pick up my car for 3 weeks.

or maybe i just shipped my car out at the wrong time.