holy....is schuman going out????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 09:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
holy....is schuman going out????

i just heard on the radio about schuman closing its doors at ALL locations in november sometime.

nino any word on this and how things are going to be handled? or is this gonna be another mitsubishi S.O.L. deal?

hope i heard wrong and that waipahu will still be open....

will it be JN subaru or pflueger subaru or something like that?

b
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

sorry this came out on tuesday, but i never read the paper in a while.

b
Old 09-28-2004, 09:42 PM

Car Info: X-driver of the "SWAGON"
Lightbulb Yes Its True....

But dont worry all you SUBY owners.... Schuman's not going to sell the subaru line, just the GM line of cars....there opening a new store on Queen St.(subys only) in town (the old NAPA). But Schuman is selling the Waipahu store, as of October it should be fully under new management...and as of November Schuman Beretania should be closed.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Nino told us what was going on with this 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Cool

Well some of us weren't there two weeks ago and this was in the paper a couple months ago. Schuman started by getting rid of some of their NAPA stores or some parts store they own.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:06 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by keirnna
Nino told us what was going on with this 2 weeks ago.
Yup, At the Meat...Ohana Subaru
Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
the events happening in the next couple of months will be merely...
a shift in the market- as strong as Subaru sales have been- you guys will see awesome things happening in the next couple of months here in the Hawaii market.
stay tuned... same bat time... same bat channel...

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 PM

Car Info: X-driver of the "SWAGON"
????

I Dont understand how this will be "AWESOME"
Old 09-29-2004, 02:34 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by WfknRX
i hear that. i hope mr honda (work friend's pop)is gonna find something to do. maybe retire now. oh well. b
Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Hey Greg...what company is your dealership's parent?

In regards to Schuman...so OK they are gonna keep the Subaru side of their business but sell off the various GM dealerships? OR are they gonna close some or all of the GM dealerships?

Nino...how many employees do you think Schuman will have after all of this happens?

SORRY GUYS...at Aloha United Way, Schuman is one of the accounts that I work with and I'm trying to keep track of what happens to it.

THANKS!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
damn...looks like i need to drive farther to get stuff fixed for warranty...LoL
Old 09-29-2004, 04:54 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by WfknRX
its unfortunate that many good people are losing their jobs- i was referring to Hawaii's market for Subaru's when i meant awesome things... my company's sales have nearly doubled since we first took the Subaru franchise. Plainly put(without speaking out of turn...) Subaru is here to stay- and is growing. yes there are some changes, but hopefully all for the better- since its not my business(or place to say) i guess the best bet is just to call down to Schuman and ask them!
Originally Posted by bpang1
Hey Greg...what company is your dealership's parent?
We operate on our own- under ownership of Thomas Vaughn(President) if you guys remember Volcano Motors that was his 1st dealership. If you are referring to Honda Windward- I guess our true relationship is this- The owner of that store is the father in law of my boss(TV).

my company will be experiencing growing pains as well- we are moving in the upcoming months- to a much better(and bigger location). so like i said earlier- stay tuned

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 09-29-2004, 06:21 AM

here is the newspaper link to today's article: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br02p.html

Schuman Carriage closing business

By Andrew Gomes
Advertiser Staff Writer

Hawai'i's oldest vehicle dealership will close in November, as Schuman Carriage Co. plans to cease operations and lay off all its 117 employees after 111 years in business.
The family-owned company, which sells Cadillac, Hummer, Buick, GMC, Oldsmobile and Subaru vehicles at four O'ahu locations, said it agreed to terminate its relationship with General Motors at the end of November and will permanently close the automobile dealerships.

"We have no other comments at this time except to say that we have been proud to serve as a GM dealer for over 70 years," the company said in a short statement.

The company declined to say whether anyone is expected to acquire Schuman Carriage's assets or operations.

In January, the company had asked some of its unionized employees for concessions in connection with an effort to sell its assets, according to a letter sent to workers.

At the time, one person close to the Schuman family said a sale was being explored.

Schuman Carriage was established as a horse-drawn buggy dealership in 1889 by Gustav A. Schuman, who came to Hawai'i from Germany in 1884 at the age of 16.

The company's founder became known as the "mule king" for his mule trading, and is credited with introducing the first rubber-tire buggy in Honolulu.

Over the decades as the company's showroom vehicles changed from carriages to Model T's to LaSalles to Hummers, the business passed from Gustav A. Schuman to his son, Gustav W. "Scotty" Schuman, who passed company control to his son, Gustav E. "Dutch" Schuman. Dutch Schuman is the company's chairman today. His son, Richard Schuman, is a director and heads service operations.

Last October, Schuman Carriage sold four NAPA auto parts stores and its NAPA Hawaiian Warehouse, which distributed parts to 36 mostly independently owned NAPA stores in Hawai'i and Samoa. The buyer was Atlanta-based Genuine Parts Co. Another NAPA store was sold to a Schuman manager.

Before the NAPA sales, Schuman Carriage's annual sales were estimated at $100 million.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:16 AM

Did the parts department closed down too? that sucks because I order some oem parts last thursday and I been calling them up to ask if my parts come in but no one picks up the phone. Will they be up in business again?