Holy crap noise at stage II

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:12 AM

Car Info: '05 Legacy GT Wagon "Bro Tuned"
The cobb from the website appears to be loud. I was thinking of going back to stock, but I would have wasted all my money on the greddy. As you know I bought it being that it was the quietest one on the market after the borla. Many of you have heard it how loud it was with just the greddy. But now that the pipes flow free, it makes more sound. While very deep and sounds awsome, its somthing I feel bad for others and not me.

ESH is suggsting slapping a high flow cat on there, which I may to next week depending on fundage.

What exactly is the aps 3.5 and the QTP? anyone receomned a external waste gate? How do I install that?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 AM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
I'm also at Stg 2. I have a catless dp and a 3" Maddad flex joint mid-pipe (no resonator) that goes into the OEM axle back. My car has all the flow w/o the noise.

I must be the exception because I actually like the sound and look of the OEM axle back.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
What exactly is the aps 3.5 and the QTP? anyone receomned a external waste gate? How do I install that?

That was a joke, the APS 3.5 is anything but quiet but it sounds glorious. And the EWG, forget it in your case.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM

Shoots, Im still learning stuff about things for my car. I f you totlally made up somthing like DK (Donkey Kong) Transformer Racing catted down pipe Id maybe bite, since I dont know much about it yet.

I would go back to stock if I could but I gotta find the buyer for the rear section of the greddys.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Dude,.you should ask what is "quiet" on LGT.com since its more Legacy peeps there and can get reviews on every exhaust out for the LGT. Might be more cost effective for you.

I got a Stromung catback and coated Helix uppipe and it was tolerable. When I went with coated V2 headers and Cruicial midpipe (especially!), then it got loud! Things spooled fast and good top end, but even I am contemplating sacrificing top end for day-to-day driving.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:02 AM

Im on there already. Thats how I got the sugestion for the greddy sp2. The SP2 was still loud. Maybe Im just spoiled from my lexus
Old 04-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
I kinda knew you were on LGT.com, but perhaps owners there might give you a better opinion of which exhaust setup would be quiter in comparison if some members went to meets or something and heard other setups since their local groups are larger??,...

My friend has an Lexus IS250 and I was impressed in the quality build of the panels and suspension layout. Definitely a stepup in build from the Subaru, but for speed, I'd go with our cars, especially with Stage II mods FTW!! Good luck!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
what you need to do is have a purpose for building your car. Research each mod then decide how it will impact your driving. IMHO there are too many people here who put things on with no idea what it does for thier car besides look good. Which is fine if that's what you want. Also, you can learn alot about what mods to do when you learn to drive the car, and figure out it's limitations, strenghts, and weaknesses. But that of course is in reference to suspension, handling, etc. If all you want is ALL-OUT power, sound should'nt matter. Otherwise, buy a M5, AMG, ferrari, etc. The fun in modding to me is getting the car to where I want it handle, and power on hand, but not excessive. You could have 400WHP, but if you can't drive it at it's limits, (the threshold as i like to call it) it ain't worth ****e to me.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:04 PM

I'm actually building a daily driver tht wont be to noticable in the pack of cars on the road. I dont want excess sound or to be really slammed. Im thinking of doing very coservtive suspension mods, starting with the rear sway bar.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:51 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
If it's going to be a DD, then you shouldn't try to get too far away from factory specs.

The factory design parameters focuses on reliability and driveability.

I agree that doing your homework before doing a mod will save you time and money. Also, define what you're going to do with the car and then mod accordingly.

My car started off as a SCCA Solo Street Mod car, but soon was changed to a DD, my mods are conservative and easy to live with on a daily basis. My car has more power than stock, but is still reliable. It's not too loud, too stiff, or too finicky. I get in and it starts and gets me to work. I can stiffen it up and attack the mountains if I want.

Think of balance in all parts of the build-up rather than focus on just one aspect (i.e. power, appearance, etc.).
Old 04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
Im on there already. Thats how I got the sugestion for the greddy sp2. The SP2 was still loud. Maybe Im just spoiled from my lexus
I think this is probably the reason why you're thinking your set up is loud.

Its surely more psychological then anything else...I mean in a Lexus you hear NOTHING. If anything put the stock exhaust back on or try a different exhaust...though Greddy does have a reputation for making really quiet exhausts.

Don't go the high flow cat route...it'll basically just add a blockage in your exhaust flow that you bought all those mods to eliminate.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Yeah Im sticking to stage II or maybe II.5 max. With mild suspension mods to the stock bars. Other than that I dont plan on doing anything more. I drive this car to Kbay and back everyday. Its nice to have a little more power under your right foot.

Your probably right that fact that Im spoiled i came from a lexus. I just have to learn to adjust.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5MT SWP
BigKahuna808,

I mentioned going back to the stock cans on LGT because I remember reading somewhere that they have decent flow for stage II and below IF you want a mostly quiet car. The stock cans have a smaller opening (<2.5 inches) that need to be addressed IIRC.

Would you be able to swap back and forth between your current setup and the stock cans for your tuning day?

Good luck in your search! I'm looking to build a quiet, but higher flowing TBE for stage II as well.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:23 AM

I was thinking that but I dont think the stock cans bolt to the greddy pipes. I dunno. I might just live with what I got now. Its quiter than before, so Im happy. Supposedly the tune should mild it out a little too.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by Risk3233
If it's going to be a DD, then you shouldn't try to get too far away from factory specs.

The factory design parameters focuses on reliability and driveability.

I agree that doing your homework before doing a mod will save you time and money. Also, define what you're going to do with the car and then mod accordingly.

My car started off as a SCCA Solo Street Mod car, but soon was changed to a DD, my mods are conservative and easy to live with on a daily basis. My car has more power than stock, but is still reliable. It's not too loud, too stiff, or too finicky. I get in and it starts and gets me to work. I can stiffen it up and attack the mountains if I want.

Think of balance in all parts of the build-up rather than focus on just one aspect (i.e. power, appearance, etc.).
Well put. The message that i was trying to convey.
Originally Posted by BigHonu
BigKahuna808,

I mentioned going back to the stock cans on LGT because I remember reading somewhere that they have decent flow for stage II and below IF you want a mostly quiet car. The stock cans have a smaller opening (<2.5 inches) that need to be addressed IIRC.

Would you be able to swap back and forth between your current setup and the stock cans for your tuning day?

Good luck in your search! I'm looking to build a quiet, but higher flowing TBE for stage II as well.
Currently I'm on a Pdx tune, w/ perrin mid/y-pipe mated to the stock cans. It is a great sleeper setup, since i think i've added over 13% TQ and HP, but still basically retained the stock sound (minus intake sound). The stock axleback exhaust IS good for up to STG 2, so no worries here.

Quick Reply: Holy crap noise at stage II