Hiking/Hikers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Hiking/Hikers

I used to do a bit when I was back on the Big Island, but ever since I've moved up here, I havent gone.

I'm wondering if anyone else here does some hiking? I've wanted to start up again, but I'm not to familiar with this islands trails. Anyone else interested in starting an i-club hike group or something?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
You'll have to forgive me, I cant remember the name of the trail. But just behind Schofield there is a 3-5 mile trail up the mountain to about 4000 ft. Buddy was telling me about it earlier today. I'm trying to find more places myself.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Theres a hiking trail at the top of our hill, Hawaii Loa Ridge, its supposed to take you to like Sandy's or Hanauma Bay or something like that, I never finished the trail myself so I'm not too sure
Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Originally Posted by 04silverWRXSTI
Theres a hiking trail at the top of our hill, Hawaii Loa Ridge, its supposed to take you to like Sandy's or Hanauma Bay or something like that, I never finished the trail myself so I'm not too sure
I've heard of that trail too. That's one of the trails that interests me. What is the policy though for the general public getting to that trail?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
^^^i do quite a bit of hiking here and have gone to a lot of the trails. I have been to Hawaii Loa Ridge 4 or 5 times and this is one of the more challenging trails here in Honolulu and one of the most beautiful hikes. It's about 2-3 hours one way depending on your pace and a lot of climbing and loose dirt. I would say this is an intermediate hike.
there are a lot of very nice trails here, and you may want to start on makapuu trails with the one going down to the tide pools and blowhole (pretty steep, but easy). also, the mariners ridge in hawaii kai is the shortest way to the top of the Koola'u Mountains with a very rewarding sight of Waimanalo at the top. this is a 45 minute hike, but you will get a good workout as it is almost all uphill. i normally do a trail run on this ridge (one of my favorites).
if you want a roller-coaster ride, go to the Saint Louis Heights (Wa'ahila Ridge) and it's pretty fun. Also, if you want a lush rainforest hike, go to the Manoa trails (Tantalus area) which is a maze of trails. be prepared to get muddy and this is a very slippery hike.
we also have some good ones on the western side of the isle...there's the Pacific Palisades by Pearl City and also Camp Timberline by Makakilo...anyway, I could go on and on...hit me up and we can talk hiking anyday.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by touge-n00b
I've heard of that trail too. That's one of the trails that interests me. What is the policy though for the general public getting to that trail?
^^^most of our trails here are maintained by the city and county of honolulu, but there's also quite a bit that are privately owned and you need a special permit...here's a helpful link to help you start up...

http://www.hawaiitrails.org/home.asp
Old 04-13-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by touge-n00b
Well its privately owned property and we have a security guard at the bottom of the hill to check in visitors, but if you let me know in advance when youre coming, I can probably get the security guard to let you in.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 AM
VIP Member

Well its privately owned property and we have a security guard at the bottom of the hill to check in visitors, but if you let me know in advance when youre coming, I can probably get the security guard to let you in.
^^^actually the trail is open to the public since it is maintained by Na'ahele funded by the city and county....parking is limited to 10 cars and they won't let you in if it's full. just come in early in the morning or around noon when hikers start coming back. all the security needs from you is a valid hawaii resident id (driver's license is fine) and you sign a waiver. they will give you a map to get to the trail and a parking permit.

but if we have a resident hook-up then that's better!

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 04-13-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Future HIIC hike trip??

Ive only been on one hike trip if you even call it a hike trip.. Its the one in Waialae/St.Louis Heights.. Forgot the trail name but it overlooks Manoa Valley.. This would be a great time to break in my Nikon d40..And good exercise!!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 AM
VIP Member

^^^'sup walter...most probably you went to the Wa'ahila Ridge. yeah, i have hundreds of pics from most of these trails. i wouldn't mind organizing a hiking trip, but bear in mind that most of these trails have a limited parking. so the most feasible way to do it is carpool....any van owners out there???
Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
^^^'sup walter...most probably you went to the Wa'ahila Ridge. yeah, i have hundreds of pics from most of these trails. i wouldn't mind organizing a hiking trip, but bear in mind that most of these trails have a limited parking. so the most feasible way to do it is carpool....any van owners out there???
Most likely was Wa'ahila Ridge... Ill help you organize this thingamagig
Theres no need for a van, just piggyback.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 AM
VIP Member

yeah, that's how you do it...i actually have a couple of i-clubbers who are interested to check some hiking spots...
Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 AM

I went on the Sacred Falls hike before they had that landslide a few years back
Old 04-13-2008, 02:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
yeah, that's how you do it...i actually have a couple of i-clubbers who are interested to check some hiking spots...
Im in... Lets discuss this after the 4/20 cruise shall we??
Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by dub81
Im in... Lets discuss this after the 4/20 cruise shall we??
I might be down for some hiking, need to get back in shape...

Quick Reply: Hiking/Hikers