HIIC HIKE CLUB - PART 6 - Makapu'u

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
HIIC HIKE CLUB - PART 6 - Makapu'u

HIIC HIKE CLUB - PART 6 - Makapuu Lighthouse Road (Makapuu Point/Tidepools)

Okay, let's play tourist this time!!! So far, we have traversed through some rough terrains, slippery rocks and boulders, rivers, a waterfall, and ridges. This will be one of the last Novice hikes for a while, so take advantage of it!

WHEN: August 10, 2008
MEET: MAKAPU'U STATE PARK @ 0830

Popular with residents, this gated, asphalt road, built to maintain to the automated Makapuu Lighthouse, provides easy access to abandoned WWII sentry "pillboxes" and stunning windward coastal views from Oahu's southeastern-most point. It is also a vantage point for whale-watching.

What to Expect:
This is one of the easiest hikes on Oahu. It does have an incline and those out-of-shape may lose their breath - so take it easy. But if you can walk okay, then you'll have no problem with this road.
Ironically, this road is used more often by sightseers then by lighthouse maintenance technicians. Expect heavy foot traffic both runners and walkers.

HIKE OPTION: There's one twist, we are going down to the tidepools and blowhole! You may want to bring some extra clothes if you want to take a dip in these natural pools. If you decide not to do this part, then we will just stay on the paved trail! I will let you guys decide when we get there.

Hiking shoes is highly recommended specially if we decide to go to the Tidepools area! Also, this hike is about 90%exposed so appropriate clothing, sunblock, hats, visors, long sleeves, etc., is highly recommended. There is ample parking, but this is a very popular tourist and hiking destination so we need to be there early.

http://www.backyardoahu.com/index.html?trails2.shtml
http://www.backyardoahu.com/index.html?trails2.shtml

Note: Leave the Drama at Home...I can't believe I said that!

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 08-10-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
yeah this is a gooooood one!!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

some pics:
Name:  IMGP2264.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  193.5 KB
Name:  IMGP2277.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  178.7 KB
Name:  IMGP2255.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  147.9 KB

And the tidepools:
Name:  IMGP2497.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  138.5 KB
Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
I've been on that one, but just never to the tide pools. We had lots of fun last weekend and in fact, Leila and Megan kept asking about when the next one is. Unfotunately, we have a wedding to go to that day, and won't be able to make it on this one. I'm pretty sure we'll be down for the next one though. Keep us posted when and where!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bran808
I've been on that one, but just never to the tide pools. We had lots of fun last weekend and in fact, Leila and Megan kept asking about when the next one is. Unfotunately, we have a wedding to go to that day, and won't be able to make it on this one. I'm pretty sure we'll be down for the next one though. Keep us posted when and where!
Hey Bran,
Thank you! It's always nice to hear some positive feedback.I am trying to balance out the hikes so they can be a wholesome family event and at the same time still has the challenge and adventure in them for our more experienced members.

The tidepools part of this hike is a little more challenging as it traverses down the side of the mountain. The payoff though is a big blowhole at the bottom and these natural tidepools and rock formations.

I can always change the date as I normally just throw in a date and go from there. 8/10 is a Sunday but we can move it on Saturday, 8/9. We'll see what everyone says...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
ahh... looks like fun. hopefully I'll be attending this one
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 AM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
Hey Bran,
Thank you! It's always nice to hear some positive feedback.I am trying to balance out the hikes so they can be a wholesome family event and at the same time still has the challenge and adventure in them for our more experienced members.

The tidepools part of this hike is a little more challenging as it traverses down the side of the mountain. The payoff though is a big blowhole at the bottom and these natural tidepools and rock formations.

I can always change the date as I normally just throw in a date and go from there. 8/10 is a Sunday but we can move it on Saturday, 8/9. We'll see what everyone says...
Thanks Ted, I do appreciate offering to change the date, but I don't want to impose. As a matter of fact, we're having our annual Oka's Family Fun Day on Saturday the 9th. It'll be a hectic week for sure. Plus, I also have a wedding on Thursday August 7th too?!?! On a Thursday??? But I guess, see what the majority wants to do and go from there. If not, I'm positive there will be other hikes. I'll keep an eye on this thread though, and if we're available that day, I'm pretty sure we'll be there. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by iNfEk
ahh... looks like fun. hopefully I'll be attending this one

all of my hiking spots are "fun and beautiful"!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bran808
Thanks Ted, I do appreciate offering to change the date, but I don't want to impose. As a matter of fact, we're having our annual Oka's Family Fun Day on Saturday the 9th. It'll be a hectic week for sure. Plus, I also have a wedding on Thursday August 7th too?!?! On a Thursday??? But I guess, see what the majority wants to do and go from there. If not, I'm positive there will be other hikes. I'll keep an eye on this thread though, and if we're available that day, I'm pretty sure we'll be there. Thanks again.

No problem, I know how it is. But there are over a hundred trails in this island alone so don't worry, we will have lots of opportunity to go hiking. Just keep an eye on these hike club threads...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
all of my hiking spots are "fun and beautiful"!!!
not until the summit
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Sweet, a beach hike. I'll definitely make this if I can!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by touge-n00b
Sweet, a beach hike. I'll definitely make this if I can!
we'll see you there, Joey...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 AM

where do they park off the highway?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by xurusaibobx
where do they park off the highway?
there is now a new paved parking lot right in front of the trailhead in the park. This is off of the highway so it is much safer now than how it was. Police patrol cars also frequent this area and they hang out by the makapuu lookout parking lot.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
Ted, I hope all the homeless people don't chase you guys out of the beach area. They get a little territorial of their "turf" at times. But as long as you stay out of the dirt parking lot where they camp, it should be okay. This hike is mostly paved, yes?

Quick Reply: HIIC HIKE CLUB - PART 6 - Makapu'u