HI-O.T. Anyone work in Auto insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by AngrySubyWagon
i've never been asked for receipts either
Originally Posted by 808subaru
Yeah, when my car was declared totaled, they didn't ask me for receipts.
Oka's FTW!
When I write estimates at the shop, I can usually tell when the customer is being upfront about things. Plus for a lot of us, the amount of parts we've got on the car is worth the same as or in some cases.....more than the car is worth. At that point, it's just plain dumb to try and claim a full titanium exhaust, or $3k wheels, when it will just lead to your car being considered a total loss. Haha, I gotta' laugh sometime when people try and claim all kinds of crazy crap and then get the dreaded call that their car won't be repaired anymore. Fools!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by WRX-Zero
Chris, I am with USAA also. Do you have a bank account or anything other service setup with them? I have a bank account and credit card with them and they give discounts based on other services you have with them. From what I am calculating, you are paying about 93/month per car.

When I had the WRX, through USAA I was paying about $135 per month. Before I moved to Seattle, I had setup a bank account and cc through them. I am paying $92 per month for the IS.

Here's a funny story, when I was working at part time as a computer tech. I had fixed a customer's computer, and when he came to pick it up, we were talking for a bit. He's said he was an insurance agent for AIG, and said he could probably get me better auto insurance rates than what I had currently. So from there he asked who I was with. My reply "I am with USAA.", his reply "Ohh.....". From there he told me that USAA is one of ones he can't beat, rates and service level. He was quite honest about it too. Sorry, I just wanted to share that story. His reaction and facial expression still sits in my mind.

As far as shopping around, I have done research and got quotes, and nothing comes close to USAA. The story above is a reminder to me.
They have my homeowners insurance, some personal property insurance, and my main Visa CC. The only other thing i could bring them is my mortgage, but i just refinanced that so it's not going anywhere unless i buy another place. Maybe i am getting the best rates available then. I see on the mainland people pay like $1400/yr for 2 or more cars, i just wanted to get in on that action.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Car Info: subaru
I was paying $870.20 a year with Geico when I had my STi and my XTerra. Now I pay $531.60 a year for just the STi... This is with a crash and some tickets on my record. Also, they were VERY helpful when I destroyed my first STi. I'm quite happy with them, but I hear a lot of people don't like them too much. And they DO cover aftermarket parts, you add them to your policy online.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 AM

Car Info: Justy
Originally Posted by 808subaru
They have my homeowners insurance, some personal property insurance, and my main Visa CC. The only other thing i could bring them is my mortgage, but i just refinanced that so it's not going anywhere unless i buy another place. Maybe i am getting the best rates available then. I see on the mainland people pay like $1400/yr for 2 or more cars, i just wanted to get in on that action.
Ok, you have other services through them. I am sure that the region (state and city) affects the rates. 1400/yr for 2+ cars is good. I wonder how their policies are setup.

Originally Posted by YamazakiSubaru
I was paying $870.20 a year with Geico when I had my STi and my XTerra. Now I pay $531.60 a year for just the STi... This is with a crash and some tickets on my record. Also, they were VERY helpful when I destroyed my first STi. I'm quite happy with them, but I hear a lot of people don't like them too much. And they DO cover aftermarket parts, you add them to your policy online.
Wow, 531.60 a year. That is killer deal.