Hawaii Superferry Experience and pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Thumbs up Hawaii Superferry Experience and pics!

We just got back from our Maui vacation and for a change, we took the Alakai (aka Hawaii Superferry). I just want to let you all know how it was since I know a lot of you here are planning to go and wondering how it is. Our overall experience is very good and will do it again if not for the long 3.5 hours trip. But the ability to bring your car to another island is a great motivation.

Service: Making reservations online is easy and your confirmation and boarding passes are sent directly via email. I made changes on the reservation and was only charged $5 for it because it was my first time to take the ferry. The onboard service is very friendly and efficient. The ferry departs 30 minutes ahead of schedule so checking in early is a must.
Check out their link for more info:
http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Car in tow: Yep, I brought my STI with me and getting it inside the ferry is pretty quick. Just make sure that you are there early so you don’t have to go to the second level. You must have your registration and proof of insurance with you. Watch out for the ramps and go slowly especially if your car is lowered. My car is moderately lowered and we were a little late when we were leaving so I was directed to the second level with a 30 degree ramp and I kinda messed up my lip a little bit…but oh well, a badge of honor. But if you have body kits and bumper lips, you might want to take it at an angle and go slowly because these ramps look deceiving. You will be asked to disable your alarm.

Otherwise, loading and unloading of cars is very quick and efficient. There is very little room with other cars inside so watch out for door dings.

Facilities, Food and Entertainment: Well, it’s a fairly brand new ship, so bathrooms are ample and clean, lots of comfortable, open seats (although we love the couches), and lots of things to do inside the ferry. There is a gift shop, an arcade room for the kids, 34 flat screen monitors where they show a movie, or you can go to the aft for an outside view and fresh air. We did not go to the VIP lounge and I’m pretty sure it’s nice there too, but to tell you the truth, the general cabin area has lots and lots of room to sleep and stretch out. I guess once the word goes out and the seats start to fill out, then that would be a different story.

Food is surprisingly pretty affordable. They have sandwiches, pastries, drinks (including alcoholic drinks), saimin, fresh fruits, and other snacks.

Sea-Sickness: It was pretty bumpy in the first hour of the trip, but once you get to the Molokai channel, it will subside. I suggest you buy some Dramamine or other motion-sickness remedies if you are traveling with kids. They also sell these on board and they give out some ginger pills as a complimentary item. We came home late at night and it was pretty flat so that was not too bad. :RockOn - not mine:

Here's the view from the belly:

the ramp from the 2nd level
Name:  DSCN0095.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  87.0 KB
Name:  DSCN0091.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB
Name:  DSCN0092.jpg
Size:  77.9 KB

If these did not motivate you, then probably these will...Haleakala Crater run:RockOn - not mine:
Name:  DSCN0215.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  DSCN0188.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  72.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0154.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  102.1 KB
Name:  DSCN0159.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  60.1 KB

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 06-27-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
sweet.......how did you car/tune react to the elevation? i want to do this in the near future
Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
also awesome review Ted
Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
^^^ Hole B-geez!! That is an awesome dope view!! Man you shoulda invited me and throw me in the trunk so I can take those pics!! Looks like your STi could blend in perfectly with the clouds!! My Mom was telling about wanting to visit the outer island for the first time and I might consider this option. Awesome and thanks for the info. Jon, future meet is at Haleakala Mt. j/k

walter
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
sweet.......how did you car/tune react to the elevation? i want to do this in the near future
For the record, my PDX tune performed perfectly with no cells even at a very high elevation! it ran strong all the way to the top. The only thing that I noticed if anything was my oil pressure was kinda low at idle, but the car did not hesitate or anything.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub81
^^^ Hole B-geez!! That is an awesome dope view!! Man you shoulda invited me and throw me in the trunk so I can take those pics!! Looks like your STi could blend in perfectly with the clouds!! My Mom was telling about wanting to visit the outer island for the first time and I might consider this option. Awesome and thanks for the info. Jon, future meet is at Haleakala Mt. j/k

walter
lol! sorry walter, i did my own ninja thing this time! and yes, sorry about the pic quality, these are only the point and shoot ones...and yes, we were way over the clouds! we were up here last year, and i promised myself to take my car up here for some pics. it was an awesome experience to be able to drive your suby to Haleakala...they perform so much better than a rental van!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Nice review & pics Ted!

I don't know if I can stomach the ride over... I get sick whenever I go fishing on my dad's boat... chumming the water with my Breakfast Jack if you know what I mean.

But, that would be quite an experience...
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 AM

Car Info: car
mmmm, very cool, looks like one hell of a drive... sick view!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:15 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Man cant wait to do my Superferry cruise now! To me just the Haleakala run is worth it!

Did you guys stay over night, or was this just a day trip?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by substitude
Nice review & pics Ted!

I don't know if I can stomach the ride over... I get sick whenever I go fishing on my dad's boat... chumming the water with my Breakfast Jack if you know what I mean.

But, that would be quite an experience...
chris, i know what you mean. i was worried about my daughter but she actually fared better than i did...probably because she took the meds the night before the trip.

Originally Posted by touge-n00b
Man cant wait to do my Superferry cruise now! To me just the Haleakala run is worth it!

Did you guys stay over night, or was this just a day trip?
we were there for 4 days. stayed mostly in kihei area but did a lot of driving around. but yeah, haleakala topped it off...
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Wow, Ted that looks like a lot of fun. I would also be a little worried that I'd be illin' from that boat ride, but I'd be down to try. I'll talk to you more about it later on tonight.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 AM
banned

Car Info: .
Yeah Ted

Thanks for the review. Pam and I have been wanting to take a trip for some time, but I don't think I can afford getting on a plane to anywhere far. This sounds like a nice alternative.

I also get sick on boats, but it's good to know there's a bar. Maybe being lit will counteract the dizziness from the rocking.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
Thanks for sharing your experience. This definitely has made me want to plan a family trip for a weekend sometime in the upcoming months. Someone mentioned to me about paying some kind of fee or county weight tax once you drive off the boat. Is that true?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
walter... yup

Ted how much was everything? did you family go with you too? I'm looking to do this soon.

Jon
Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by iNfEk
walter... yup

Ted how much was everything? did you family go with you too? I'm looking to do this soon.

Jon
jon,
yes, all 4 of us went. i paid $557 for everything including the car. yes, it's not much difference from taking the plane, and the 3.5 hours of travel is kinda long...BUT, we did it for the experience and the adventure. you could not put a price tag for driving your suby at the top of haleakala. also, at least we didn't have to rent a car. of course you have to factor in hotel, gas ($4.84 for premium), food, and shopping and Maui will thank us for the business...

also, for those who are kinda queasy on the tummy like me, it wasn't that bad as we picked a spot in the middle of the ferry where it is stable.

Originally Posted by MsUnderstood
Thanks for sharing your experience. This definitely has made me want to plan a family trip for a weekend sometime in the upcoming months. Someone mentioned to me about paying some kind of fee or county weight tax once you drive off the boat. Is that true?
not true...as long as your registration and insurance is current you're ok...

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 06-27-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Hawaii Superferry Experience and pics!