Hawai'i i-club today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I've read a lot of good points made by all of you who posted in this thread. It's awesome to see several members here willing to support Hawaii i-club. For those who are willing to put some time and effort into things, I am thoroughly grateful.

I realize that this is a free club. Free for anyone who has any degree of interest and/or passion for Subarus. Having said that, there are no fees or actual obligations. Realize though, that you get from i-club what you put in. The people who have the most appreciation for things are the ones who put blood, sweat, tears, dollars, and beers into them.

If you show up to a charity event, realize what you're there for. Give. That's the nature of the event. I ask that if you are thinking to show up while making no effort to do the bare minimum amount of charity, do not bother to attend. That's not how we roll.

Shaggy pointed out something good. Install days are for you to:

1.) Get sh*t installed
2.) Learn how to work on your/others' cars.
3.) Actually meet and be cool with other i-clubbers

The weekly meats I post are merely to unwind and meet new people while shooting sh*t with anybody else who comes out. It was never anything official, even when Gdogg guys started them several years ago. It is, however, not a bad way to ease yourself into things. The atmosphere is typically goofy, perverted, and non-threatening. I personally welcome all new people who come out. I actually want to meet and know anybody new to this. I felt very welcome when I first came out. While the group who shows up on Fridays is always changing, I've been a constant pretty much the whole time I've lived on this island since I've joined i-club.

I agree with sigterm about having a serious meeting to plan things out. I'm thinking some kind of BBQ in the earlier part of January at Kaka'ako Park. It's been done before and there is a LOT of good parking. It won't be hard to plan a whole year's worth of events in one meeting. Dates for the actual cruises may be tentative due to schedules of AUW and T4T.

As some of you also said, things won't be the same. True. I have accepted that. This club is always changing and will continue to do so, but some things can be revived in one form or another and some traditions can be brought back. All it takes is a little planning and organization.

See you around.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM

Car Info: S14
^^^ nut to butt deep right there kaka'ako sounds like a good idea throw some fishing poles out while we're at it
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Originally Posted by ds baruuuuu

Wow D, those are some ancient pictures. Too bad, I missed the old days too, but to say that cruises were always nice and ordered is not exactly acurate... I still remember the days of sliding on back roads, pineapple fields, and general hooliganism. I'm glad we all made it without incident, but don't ever intend to do that again

I think you guys have said it most accurately, times and interests change. The club is an organic thing, people will come and go, and it will change with the times as well. To me the I-club was a small group of about a dozen or so people, almost all of which raced with us at auto-x. Later, when the WRX came out and membership boosted to several dozen, then with later years, it kept growing. That was great for the club, not so great for me though, as I don't like big crowds and am not much of a people person. With my car totaled by then and my interests going to rear wheel drive, that was time to call it a day, and put on my lurker suit.

Anyway, it's good to see that the club is still going strong with dedicated members who still share common interests. Mainly a quirky and cool car with awd
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
I have been a member now close to a decade and have supported the subie community as much as i could in that time. I recently returned from Korea and I have been on island for over a week. I have made a lot of friends here and a few of you I have made life long friendships with that stretches beyond cars.

Prior to me leaving 3 years ago I saw the decline in the cruises, install days, meets, and even the overall activity of the HIIC forums. Probably the most sad part was watching charity cruises decline, not because they didn't happen but because of the number of attendees.

Since I have been home this past week I have notice the decline in mutual respect between suby owners. People always revving and gunnin it etc etc. Even when cruising around in my EvoX I get stares from suby owners as oppose to I use to get shakas for mutual respect for AWD. I would have to say all of this is long gone. But that's ok like I mentioned before I have made plenty life long friends that are willing to to move on from HIIC and start fresh. Will I still actively (troll) the forums? Sure why not, but as far being active with the club I think those days are over.

I'll leave it at that, most of what i wanted to say was said by Jon (infek) and shaggadelic because for the most part we share the same opinions.

Last edited by 4080wrx; 12-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Originally Posted by Shin RS
I still remember the days of sliding on back roads, pineapple fields,
always had blue painters tape in my car..
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
You guys have tons of great points. I am still an uber noob, this is my first turbo car. The one thing i would say that i have not read, is a good chunk of members on here are in the military too. I went from working over at Kbay and having a set M-F schedule, to working here in wahiawa and having an insane schedule. I would love to help with install days, to learn more about these darn engines and cars. Kristoy came over a couple weekends and helped me rebuild my rear half of the transmission. I have sold and bought things from different members, and HAVE ALWAYS HAD AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE. If what little i have seen i think is amazing i can only imagine what more is around the corner
Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 AM

Car Info: 2001 2.5RS Sedan
Been inactive forever. I want to be active.

I want to start somewhere, but the Friday meats are pretty tightly knit. We need a bonding thing w/ ice breakers and all.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
I miss the days where the classifieds had parts I could actually use.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Car Info: cars
Whoa. I haven't logged on in ages and saw this thread. Great thread Josh!

I've been a member for about a decade now and have seen the dynamic of the club change as the years went on. Both of my subys are still in the family and I can honestly say that only one other person that a HIIC member has every worked on them besides myself. Although I do miss the old days with install days, auto-x, drag racing, BBQ's, etc. (and thankfully no more late night phone calls asking for my help), things do change and people move on. In the last few years, I've missed the T4T, summer cruise, etc., but if there is a good effort behind the events, I'll dust the cobwebs off the STi and bring it out.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
Originally Posted by Deraj_53
This ^^^

Lol
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by Deraj_53
I miss the days when dibs meant something.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
I miss being in HI.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM
HKK

Car Info: 2000 BRP Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by corytomo
memories of you having a working subie... LOL
shoot, almost no one has their car anymore, only fran?
I still got mine!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by aznsexrboy808
been inactive forever. I want to be active.

I want to start somewhere, but the friday meats are pretty tightly knit. We need a bonding thing w/ ice breakers and all.
x2.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by HKK
I still got mine!
Holy crap! Ninja lurker!!!

Quick Reply: Hawai'i i-club today.