Hard Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 POS
Hard Water Spots

How do you get rid of Hard Water Spots on the Car, Windows, and Mirriors...
I am asking this because I always wash my car and these hard water spots keep popping you in the same place...

PLease Help...Tell me what you do or what you use

LOrenzo
Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Car Info: 06 STi,AIRBAG HARDBODY,(2)HONDA RUCKUS,HONDA ELITE
use water spot remover or acid to take it out
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM

Car Info: S14
i use really fine steel wool and a lil wax
Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
I use Metal polish!!! Works great and easy...
Old 03-02-2007, 03:44 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
a buffer and some buffing polish, finish with some good wax and voila no water spots
for glass use some glass polish which has some abrasives to help remove built up minerals.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Steel Wool!!!! Yikes. Try vinegar, the acid will lift the minerals.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Clay Bar for me...then a good polish/paint sealant like rejex.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:59 PM

i second 50/50 vinegar and water.

i had a black nissan maxima that i had to park outside for a year and the sprinklers were killing my car - hard water spots.

i went to wash the car and the hard water would NOT come off.

i could use my finger nail to scrape individual spots off but that wasn't a good solution.

i tried wax - no joy.

i went to napa auto parts and the guy there recommended a mcquire <sp?> product - cost $7/8 and didn't do it.

i searched the net and found a auto detail guy and he suggested using the 50/50 solution with elbow grease... worked wonders and cheap!!!

spray and let sit for a bit then go at it.

good luck.

i clean everything with that 50/50 solution now... windows, stainless steel, counter tops - everything.

*** first post - yay yay ***

i enjoy reading all you posts and try to visit the islands when i can - you guys are lucky!!!

joel
Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Vinegar won't remove nasty hard water spots. Been there done that. Steel wool? Not a chance that's touching my car. Clay bar won't do it either if it's nasty hard water spots. Call Joey at Midas Touch and he'll hit your car with acid. That is the ticket. Period. Argue amongst yourselves if you want but I have a 2002 WRX that's black (MBP) and lived next to an idiot that couldn't prevent his sprinkler from spraying my car. If I wasn't military I'd have choked him to death.

San
Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by javendan
i second 50/50 vinegar and water.

i had a black nissan maxima that i had to park outside for a year and the sprinklers were killing my car - hard water spots.

i went to wash the car and the hard water would NOT come off.

i could use my finger nail to scrape individual spots off but that wasn't a good solution.

i tried wax - no joy.

i went to napa auto parts and the guy there recommended a mcquire <sp?> product - cost $7/8 and didn't do it.

i searched the net and found a auto detail guy and he suggested using the 50/50 solution with elbow grease... worked wonders and cheap!!!

spray and let sit for a bit then go at it.

good luck.

i clean everything with that 50/50 solution now... windows, stainless steel, counter tops - everything.

*** first post - yay yay ***

i enjoy reading all you posts and try to visit the islands when i can - you guys are lucky!!!

joel
It does work well doesn't it? When I lived in HI I made a bunch of grip taking water spots off of peoples cars with vinegar and water.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Car Info: ?
Pac Pro on Dillingham has a product called Krystal Kut, it works wonders....

Live in a townhouse and my stall is right next to sprinklers it gets nailed every night.....A couple of passes and the spots come right off, if it's bad maybe a 3 to 4, but requires no hard rubbing...highly reccommend it

make sure you get a polish as this thing strips all previous protectants <sp> offs, ask the guy they have different products for differents paints and conditions

anyway GL with taking the spots off
Old 03-03-2007, 02:49 AM

Car Info: S14
i detail cars where i work and the steel wool works fine for me. i live in ewa, the water over here is my cars worse enemy
Old 03-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5MT SWP
Before you do a panel with whatever method you choose, do a small 1'x1' test spot to make sure your products and methods work. No sense do the whole car only to find out your technique doesn't work, or worse case your products/methods were too aggressive.

Just some suggestions from me:

The 50/50 vinegar/water should take out the white ring the waterspot leaves. If you have etching on the paint, then you will have to go the compound/polish/top route with a TON of elbow grease. Your entire car may take a few hours from wash to buff. Always follow with your wax/sealant.

If your car is a dark color, you may get some micro-marring from the compounding and polishing steps and may need to add a final polish stage in there before you top off with whatever wax/sealant you like. Lighter colors hide the micro-marring very well even in bright sunlight.

On exterior glass you can use the fine grade steel wool (000) or the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with your favorite glass polish/polish. DO NOT use on the inside glass!

On mirrors DO NOT use the steel wool as it can leave micro scratches that will drive you nuts when the sunlight hits the mirror just right.

After you get the waterspots out just remember that frequent washings (minimum once per week) and keeping your sealant/wax fresh goes a LONG way in preventing the waterspots and virtuallly eliminates the etching.

IMHO, while sealants last longer (6mo+) I'm a little old school and like carnauba waxes. To me, they look better in general and a multiple layer job protects better against bird crap and water spot etching.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by oldmansan
If I wasn't military I'd have choked him to death.

San

^^^^Freakin San LOL!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by iik9ii
use water spot remover or acid to take it out
yea, i use a professional use only acid wash.... this stuff easily burns glass tho, paint has a bit more tolerance to the stuff. burns your hands nicely too haha.

Quick Reply: Hard Water Spots