Gripe!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Gripe!!!

Bear with me.

Kathy is convinced that AWD is the way to go. Well so are most automakers nowadays...at least they're testing the market. Ford Explorer has an AWD model, Toyota Highlander, Mercury Mountaineer, and a few of the minivans we looked at (yeah, I'm admitting it and I'm doing a pretty good job mentally preparing myself in case we decide on one. You'd be surprised, really.) The Toyota Sienna has AWD. The Dodge/Chrysler Caravan/Town & Country. Of course, the Volvo XC90 has AWD (man, I want this so bad).

Anyhow, we approached this car shopping like we normally do. We blitzed every dealer that had the vehicles we were interested in. Problem is, we were lucky if we were able to find one AWD car. I know we're slow, but I guess it just takes a couple of days for this fact to sink in. AWD doesn't seem to be catching on. It's not extravagantly expensive.

If you happen to find yourself shopping for minivans, though. The Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna are 240 hp. Yeah, they're FWD (unless you opt for the AWD with the Toyota), but I don't plan on racing this & stuff. You can switch off the traction control with the Odyssey, though. Woke up some ricer newer-model Cougars, though, at a stoplight.

Ok, I'm done. Doubt anyone read this.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 AM
VIP Member

VTM-4 (Variable Torque Management 4WD system) + VSA
The Honda Pilot is equipped with the sophisticated VTM-4, a 4WD system that employs electronically controlled variable torque distribution to ensure a high level of driver control in all types of weather and road conditions. Newly developed, electronically controlled, variable-torque, twin-clutch mechanisms on the center and rear LSDs*6 implement continuously variable distribution (100:0 to 50:50) of drive force to the front and rear wheels depending on road conditions, making for light and nimble on-road driving combined with powerful off-road performance.

The Pilot is also equipped with ABS*7, TCS*8, and VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) with side-slip control. In combination with VTM-4, these functions further enhance vehicle stability.

Cruising: Delivers superior fuel efficiency in front-wheel drive.
Startup and acceleration: Distributes drive force to the rear wheels as needed for smooth startup and acceleration.
Up-hill: Instantly redistributes power to the rear wheels when vehicle weight is shifted to the rear and the front wheels cannot effectively transmit the drive force to the road, for more powerful driving performance.

On low-friction surfaces: Redistributes most of the drive force to the remaining wheel if the other three wheels are on a low-friction surface, limiting slip for more stable driving performance.

Lock mode: Delivers the power needed for extracting the vehicle from deep mud or snow, by fixing the drive force distribution to the front and rear wheels at approximately 50:50.
Sound familiar? Isn't this the AWD setup for the Skyline?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:41 AM
VIP Member

A newly developed 3.5L VTEC V-6 engine contributes to the Pilot's smooth and powerful drive and superb environmental performance.
This is so I could do a swap into a civic later on.

The Pilot is also equipped with DBW (Drive-By-Wire), an electronic throttle control system. A sensor converts throttle valve control movements of the gas pedal into electrical signals and sends them to the ECU, which calculates the optimal throttle opening based on wheel speed and engine revs. Direct control of the throttle valve by the actuator ensures precise, natural throttle control. In combination with the five-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission and VSA, DBW contributes to a smooth drive and excellent control.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:24 PM

have you checked put any of the cars Audi has to offer? Tehy definitly keep a "few" AWD cars in stock.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Reg,

You don't even know how bad I've been pressuring Kathy to buy an Audi. She only wants an SUV or a mini-van. I wanted the All Road soooo bad, but she says it's too small for her. This is also why I was so excited about the twin turbo Volvo XC90. It is big enough, but there are just not any of the trim that we want. The only thing readily available is the XT6 (6 cylinder) and they want no less than $44k, and they HAVE to put almost every stinking option on them which drives up the price further.

Part of our problem stems from our plans. In 2 weeks, I come back to Hawaii and her father flies out here to Indiana and they both drive back to CT in whatever car we decide on. She'll stay in CT for the year that I'm deployed. (we will still make 'Basic Allowance for Housing @ Hawaii rates, even though she'll be staying with her folks rent free.)

That's what I get for giving her my Explorer when I took over 'her' car, the WRX.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
go to japan and buy the forester sti

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/stiversion/index.html

my friend yusuke test drove it 2 weeks ago, even brought me back a couple of brochures! wish i could read japanese
Old 03-02-2004, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
STI forester is HOT! I've seen pictures in the past and I'm liking it!

Unfortunately as stated above by Pat is that the wife thinks the Forester is to small it is considered a Sports Wagon not a SUV

Jon
Old 03-02-2004, 03:08 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by gpatmac
This is also why I was so excited about the twin turbo Volvo XC90. It is big enough, but there are just not any of the trim that we want. The only thing readily available is the XT6 (6 cylinder) and they want no less than $44k, and they HAVE to put almost every stinking option on them which drives up the price further.
Pat,

Been looking hard at SUVs as well since neither car can haul our kayaks, bikes and such. I love the XC90, but like you said damn its expensive. Awesome tho. Lemme know what you decide upon. Ive been looking at the larger Tahoe, Yukon, Sequoia as well.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally posted by gpatmac I know we're slow, but I guess it just takes a couple of days for this fact to sink in. AWD doesn't seem to be catching on. It's not extravagantly expensive.
[/B]
Most likely thats just hawaii. Here, people are snapping up the AWD versions like crazy. Here its hard to find a AWD version of a car when it is offered. But thats maily because of our snow.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Imprezastifan88
Most likely thats just hawaii. Here, people are snapping up the AWD versions like crazy. Here its hard to find a AWD version of a car when it is offered. But thats maily because of our snow.
Nah, I'm in Indiana right now, on 2 weeks leave. I could certainly see a market for AWD in CO, but not so much in Indiana. The irony is that 4wd is so popular here. This state is the capitol of FLAT.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:55 PM

I think you should look at a caddy escalade then. I can totally see pat in a Caddy EXT with 24" spinners.

I guess the Wife didn't leave with much chioces other than an SUV then.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
I'd rock a Yukon for sure (on the mainland where you can actually park it comfortably).
Old 03-02-2004, 11:00 PM
VIP Member

Ex-calade and Yuocan = TOOOOO0ooo00OOO big.

We found another Explorer (2004 4dr 4x4 (w/ control trac...smart AWD) XLT, 4.0L SOHC v6 Flex Fuel (can take the new ethanol based gasoline) Eng, 5spd Auto 0/D trans).

The dealer quoted 27854 after rebates. Edmunds.com states that invoice is 30,654 after options. 28,598 before options. True Market Value is 30,972 after and 28,997 before options. Subtracting the 3,750 rebates from the invoice-after-options, that puts us at $950 above adjusted invoice.

I think I'm going to haggle a little more. We'll see.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
why no Nissan/Infiniti??
Old 03-02-2004, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Here's some information about the variable fuel. If this 'gasohol' starts to spread, low octane may no longer be a problem. Anyone else remember gasohol?

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/ethanol.html