Greddy/Trust declares bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
sounds just like bbs...hopefully someone will step in and buy out the company...
Old 09-10-2008, 04:46 PM

Car Info: AWD Peanut "i" IMPRETZA
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
wowsers. Time to stock up on Trust stuff

I know!! Maybe thats why they been having their warehouse clearance sell..
Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by Shin RS
My problem with "passing on the savings" is that they're not developing the parts... Alot of the cost of manufacturing new parts goes into R&D, paying people with nice engineering degrees and nice shiny equiptment and dynos to go out and design a new exhaust, intake, cams, body parts etc. These people design a working part from nothing but an idea... That's part of why you're paying more. These knock off part makers are only picking up sales because they don't have the overhead and cost of creating a new part, they just copy someone elses work and sell it for cheaper. A factory full of underpaid workers cost less than a factory full of underpaid workers, an engineering department, and tuning equiptment. That's where your savings comes from, not some altruistic goodwill from a guy in china...

Btw, there is no way in hell rota wheels are better then work or the volks that they copy... I also haven't seen a knock off part yet that is better in workmaship or quality than the original. I know that everyone's out to save a buck, so they will do what they feel is best for them... Of course, bad economy + buyers buying replica parts from other distributors can mean death to a legitimate company... thus one less innovator in the industry.

And there is a cure for high prices... Save money before making a purchase.
I agree...........
Old 09-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
My problem with "passing on the savings" is that they're not developing the parts... Alot of the cost of manufacturing new parts goes into R&D, paying people with nice engineering degrees and nice shiny equiptment and dynos to go out and design a new exhaust, intake, cams, body parts etc. These people design a working part from nothing but an idea... That's part of why you're paying more. These knock off part makers are only picking up sales because they don't have the overhead and cost of creating a new part, they just copy someone elses work and sell it for cheaper. A factory full of underpaid workers cost less than a factory full of underpaid workers, an engineering department, and tuning equiptment. That's where your savings comes from, not some altruistic goodwill from a guy in china...

Btw, there is no way in hell rota wheels are better then work or the volks that they copy... I also haven't seen a knock off part yet that is better in workmaship or quality than the original. I know that everyone's out to save a buck, so they will do what they feel is best for them... Of course, bad economy + buyers buying replica parts from other distributors can mean death to a legitimate company... thus one less innovator in the industry.

And there is a cure for high prices... Save money before making a purchase.
Well said. Again, I'm aware of the Reseach and Development factor playing in. I can very well understand your point of view, Like I said earlyer I agree with you 100% that companys like Greddy deserve full credit for taking an idea out of thin air and turning it into a actual working product through countless hours of R&D, tuning, and remarkable engineering.

But I still stand by my previous post. You metion you haven't seen any knock off parts being better than the orginal, well I have....Kakumei being one of those brands. That is "a guy in China" I will stand by (Taiwan to be exact).

I still buy "Brand name" parts for my STi (Greddy, Sard, Perrin, WORKS, ect...) but when I can find a more affordible alternatives for other minor parts, such as hood dampers and CF alternator covers. As long as it quality is the same or better than the orginal it was designed after, I will be smart with my spending and save whatever money I can by buying the knock off instead

Now, there is ALOT of knock off brands out there like "Matrix Brand" that there quality is beyond crap. So I am picky with knock offs. Don't think that I'm down to buy ALL knock off brands, only about 3% of knock offs out there on the market pass my personal standard. To me, there is a difference between "Cheap and "Affordable". Cheap to me is a poorly made item with a low price. Affordable is a qualiy made item with a low price.

Hopefully you will be able to attend this upcomming charity cruise this sunday, That way in person, I can show you some of the knock off parts I have choose to installed on my STi that are IMO and the comments of others here in HIIC ARE great quality. That way, you can now say you been exposed to knock offs with the same workmaship or quality as the original.

It's still unfortunate what is happening to companys like Greddy. For that, I am upset with knock off brands out there. But that is as far as my anger goes. Everyone is intitled to there own opinion on a situation like this, we can see eye to eye on most of this, but we do have diffrence. The best I can do at this point is show you some good qualiy "replica" parts and hopefully change your mind on all Knock offs being bad.

Last edited by Haole-Pino; 09-10-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:06 PM

Car Info: VW R32 02 WRX
good points all around.
Lets just hope that once the economy picks up they will start back up again.
I agree that knock offs are good in the short run and sometimes the quality is nearly the same but in the long run I would rather have the innovative companies around
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
mmm thats pretty sad. Greddys nice.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Hmmm. It's funny, because I'd have to say we probably agree on just about everything here, it really is a minor matter of semantics which separates our views. Perhaps due to the internet being without faces or voices I come off as being a little black and white in my descriptions... I do not doubt that there are some companies capable of creating a copy that is very close to the original, but that would be, as you have said, the extreme minority of companies. I'm glad that you use genuine parts for the important aspects of your vehicle, ex. engine, drivetrain, management, electronics; and that the only parts you are willing to compromise on are trim or small non vital parts of your car. Hopefully I don't come across as some elitist bastid who just looks down on those who buy cheap parts, my personal beef with knock offs and their companies is that little by little copies chip away at the industry as a whole. As I said before, people will do what they feel is best for them regardless of the underlying circumstances which surround them, that's just the way free market works, for better or worse...

Sadly I probably won't be attending any I-club meets any time soon, (not that it should matter ), mainly due to my lack of a subaru at this time I've finally laid mine to rest this year, and am quite busy with my mazdas, toyota and nissan... Quite frankly the stuff I'd talk about and be interested are probably at odds with what you guys would be interested in, and conversely, the intricacies of turbos, awd handling and techniques aren't really my cup of tea anymore. Oh theres also the fact that I'm more of a social recluse and don't do the car cruise or hangout thing any more... Anyway if you come out to auto-x say hello, I'd like to match a face to the screen name... Of course I'd have to say I'm lousy with names , and will probably be busy trying to get my girlfriend in the top twenty with words of encouragement like "wtf are you doing?!?!!! get on the gAAAaaassss!!!!" or " try not failing so much and maybe you'll go faster next run". Hmm, maybe that's not such a good idea, I'll probably seem even more like a dick...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
number of people/business going bankrupt increased 250 percent, I don't blame knockoffs, I blame this country's economy
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy 3.0R 3L H-6 RIP :( Hello 09 FXT!
Hmmm. It's funny, because I'd have to say we probably agree on just about everything here, it really is a minor matter of semantics which separates our views. Perhaps due to the internet being without faces or voices I come off as being a little black and white in my descriptions... I do not doubt that there are some companies capable of creating a copy that is very close to the original, but that would be, as you have said, the extreme minority of companies. I'm glad that you use genuine parts for the important aspects of your vehicle, ex. engine, drivetrain, management, electronics; and that the only parts you are willing to compromise on are trim or small non vital parts of your car. Hopefully I don't come across as some elitist bastid who just looks down on those who buy cheap parts, my personal beef with knock offs and their companies is that little by little copies chip away at the industry as a whole. As I said before, people will do what they feel is best for them regardless of the underlying circumstances which surround them, that's just the way free market works, for better or worse...

Sadly I probably won't be attending any I-club meets any time soon, (not that it should matter ), mainly due to my lack of a subaru at this time I've finally laid mine to rest this year, and am quite busy with my mazdas, toyota and nissan... Quite frankly the stuff I'd talk about and be interested are probably at odds with what you guys would be interested in, and conversely, the intricacies of turbos, awd handling and techniques aren't really my cup of tea anymore. Oh theres also the fact that I'm more of a social recluse and don't do the car cruise or hangout thing any more... Anyway if you come out to auto-x say hello, I'd like to match a face to the screen name... Of course I'd have to say I'm lousy with names , and will probably be busy trying to get my girlfriend in the top twenty with words of encouragement like "wtf are you doing?!?!!! get on the gAAAaaassss!!!!" or " try not failing so much and maybe you'll go faster next run". Hmm, maybe that's not such a good idea, I'll probably seem even more like a dick...
She's still got her G.C. though. And well said on all points.

Oh crap, this is 808subaru, i forgot to log wifey out.

Last edited by CallMeCrazy; 09-10-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: wrong poster.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
nope no subarus anymore his was killed at a light she sold hers
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 06 2.5i WGN & 06 WRX WGN
wow. Prodrive U.S (unless that has been worked out?), BBS, now this.

Everyones made really good points, its just sad that it has to be discussed.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
If you're talking about leila, then no, we don't have the black gc anymore, we sold it about a year ago She raced the gc a few times, once or twice at the kalaeloa hangar, and once or twice at hrp, she switched to racing my 94 miata last year, but now shares the mr2 with me this season. She finally started getting serious about racing during the middle of last year and is slowly making her way up the ranks... Right now she just needs more experience/seat time, and to improve her throttle modulation and turn in points. She's holding on tenuously to the high 20's but i'd like her to be in the top 20 or at least 25 by the end of the season...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
If you're talking about leila, then no, we don't have the black gc anymore, we sold it about a year ago She raced the gc a few times, once or twice at the kalaeloa hangar, and once or twice at hrp, she switched to racing my 94 miata last year, but now shares the mr2 with me this season. She finally started getting serious about racing during the middle of last year and is slowly making her way up the ranks... Right now she just needs more experience/seat time, and to improve her throttle modulation and turn in points. She's holding on tenuously to the high 20's but i'd like her to be in the top 20 or at least 25 by the end of the season...
Ahhh, i remember her running it at HRP before, but swore i seen it less than a year ago. Damn, has it been that long? Wow.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by jinorazi
number of people/business going bankrupt increased 250 percent, I don't blame knockoffs, I blame this country's economy
i'm gonna say you failed at reading the link. the main company is in japan and it is in japan where they filed the bankruptcy
Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX Wagon & SGM 2.5i wagon
David

I think I remember reading that prodrive america was closing due to a combination of things including their wanting to focus more on Aston Martin.
I do not think it was entirely related to U.S sales/profit.

Quick Reply: Greddy/Trust declares bankruptcy