good place to get tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by mokeOne
ceramic keeps out a lot more UV than other tints, in turn making your car cooler inside. there's probably other benefits too, but i don't know.
I have the ceramic tint on my Pathfinder, which has a charcoal gray interior. Yes, it does keep your car cooler, and the car cools off faster. Also, if you have a dark- colored interior, the ceramic tint keeps your darker color seats, dash and other interior parts from fading (since it blocks out a lot of the UV rays).
Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Lmt
Also, if you have the Legacy with the antennea in the back window mettalic tint will degrade the quality of the signal. I dont know how it does it since the tint is BEHIND the antennea but it has been a huge complaint in the Legacy forums.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 03 G35 / 05 WRX
just because it's ceramic doesn't mean it will block out more UV rays...look at the charts...almost all tint blocks either 98-99%...it's a combination of the UV rays and the heat that comes through the tint that causes your interior to fade or crack...remember nothing that is exposed to the sun will last forever, it doesn't matter what it is made of...you don't change the brakes or tires on your car every few years and expect it to last forever do you? those also come with lifetime warranties but not against normal wear and tear...well its the same thing with tint...

also lifetime warranty doesn't mean anything...read the fine print...i worked at a tint shop for about 10 years...the lifetime warranty only covers defects in the tint(like if the glue is defective, or if the tint is blurry) and that is very rare...

if you get the premium tint (i.e. true grey, quantum, ceramic), they will probably last about 10 years before you will see that effect that the sun will have on it, but the shops and manufacturers bank on the fact that most people don't keep their cars for 10 years...also alot of people change their tint every few years...

i know everyone is different and there will be alot of you who say well i do this and i do that but i tint windows and i deal with alot of people so i am speaking about the majority of people that i have dealt with in general...
Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 AM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by poser
what's the benefits of ceramic??? i never had any issues with the regular metalized films, so i never bothered to look at ceramic tint...
The number one benefit is it keeps the car cooler. It's especially noticeable late in the day when the sun is usually blasting you thru your driver side window....you'll notice the difference then. Another benefit from superior heat rejection is the fact that you can run your a/c less and at lower levels.

My black 4runner with dark interior stays cooler then my silver STI did. The downside is the cost, and the fewer choices of shades and colors.

Al has a cool, simple display that uses a light and various tints to compare the differences. Check it out.