Good Auto Shipping Company?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Question Good Auto Shipping Company?

I'm going to be moving back to the mainland in the next few weeks for a new job. I'm not terribly happy about leaving, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyway, I don't have any experience shipping vehicles. When I moved over, I had just left my old car behind (it was barely worth more than the shipping cost according to KBB). Since my WRX is only 2 years old and has a whopping 6,7xx miles on it, I figure it's worth taking with me. That and I understand there are more than 3 fun roads to drive on there. Hell, they even have roads you can drive fast enough on to use fifth gear! FIFTH!

All joking aside, has anyone had good/bad experiences with any of the shipping outfits on Oahu? Or does anyone have one they recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Where exactly are you going?

Matson is my shipper of choice...they're a nice company. If you need to go beyond the west coast...you'll have to arrange a shipper...I forget who I used to get my car to Ohio.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM

I'm going to the Seattle area, so I just need port-to-port I think. I thought about shipping to CA and driving up the coast highway, but I don't think that is going to happen (sounded fun though).

Matson sounds familiar, I think someone mentioned them to me once before. I'll take a look, thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 POS
I used Pasha Group to ship my civic from cali to hawaii....the thing I like about Pasha Group is that it's a flat rate. Search Pasha Group on the internet and se if they go to seattle...if they don't then a trip up I-5 North sounds really good...that fifth gear is going to love it...haha Oh I paid 975 from San Diego,California to Honolulu,Hawaii

LOrenzo
Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 PM

Car Info: subaru
When I came to Hawaii, I used Matson to ship the STI and Pasha to ship the Miata. The Miata came in better condition than I sent it with (it was cleaned), and the STI had a cigarette burn in the driver seat, the driver-side door doesn't close properly anymore, and there were grease stains in the trunk. I filed a complaint and was given the run around when I tried to follow up on it. Now, mine is only one experience. I am sure many people have had better experiences than I, but seeing as Pasha was cheaper (military paid for Matson) and my experience with them was better, I'll be using Pasha to ship the STI when I go back.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
i dislike using matson as well...when we shipped our land rover defender over...we had an accessory kit for using the 4x4 winch and stuff....well it went missing.... good thing we had it documented before it left port....no hassle of getting it replaced....

i have heard other horror stories as well...theres another shipping company as well...i think horizon? they ship your vehicle in containers as matson is exposed to the nice friendly salt air voyage.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Yeah Horizon Lines is the other one...I like both companies. Best thing is to document everything on your car and take lots of pictures before you drop it off.

When you pick it up...take the time AT THE DOCK to check your car thoroughly...hopefully with a friend to help.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Bad experience with Matson. They drove my car for 28 miles in the port, car got here filthy ohhh.... Busted my F/L headlight and Hood. Then here in PR. They tried to give me $1000 cash, to settle, I told them hellzzzzzzzzzzzzz no.......( 1-sti headlight atleast $1500) Hood ($780).

Thats why they are under investigation.... Lawsuit like a mudafkr... Then they tried to make corrections on their inventory sheet, like the car was already like that, ( I turned it in like that ). But in my inventory was clean....shaddy S.O.B. and I got the name of the inspector...but its all good...

I would suggest Pasha!!!

Last edited by thunder_sti; 04-21-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 PM

So far Pasha looks like a winner. I'll just use them to ship to San Diego and drive up from there. I have family in AZ and CA, so I can visit with them while the car is in transit. If I get my self together in the next couple of weeks, I should have plenty of time to enjoy the drive up Hwy 1. I've done the drive on Interstate 5 twice in my life, and I don't want to do it again. I was alone both times, and I had to drive straight through - which sucked. I know there are several miles of that road I've never seen awake. I remember waking up, wondering where I was, and feeling immense relief that I got an alignment before I took the trip...

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 06 leggy gt
you have about three choices

pasha 975
matson 975
horizon 1125?

pasha does it in about 7-10 days, matson told me 2-3weeks wow, im calling horizon tomorrow, since im in a similar situation
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by rigos_gt
you have about three choices

pasha 975
matson 975
horizon 1125?

pasha does it in about 7-10 days, matson told me 2-3weeks wow, im calling horizon tomorrow, since im in a similar situation

Going Back to Cali Rigo?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 06 leggy gt
ya...finishing my management training out there
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by rigos_gt
ya...finishing my management training out there
Can you take me with you...put my car in your trunk...I wouldn't mind going back to Cali...your so lucky bro!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 96 Subaru SVX LSi
Any military out there who shipped a car from San Diego to Hawaii? Just wondering who the military uses to ship vehicles cause they're sending mine over.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Car Info: None.
I would most emphatically recommend against Matson. When I shipped my '71 Mini over from Long Beach they smashed it in less than 1/4 of a mile. Not suprising after watching the dock monkeys work. I stood at the fence and watched them back new MINIs off the boat - several hitting the rev limiter.

Not only did they smash my car but they tried to blame it on "soft brakes". The same "soft brakes" that I drove around for 4 years with no problems on. Frickin tools. No respect for other people's things.

I'd suggest going with someone that has totally enclosed shipping - I think CSX (Horizon?) does that.

Whatever you do I would highly suggest that you take before and after pictures. When I walked into the insurance guys trailer and plopped a CD-ROM of before and after pictures on his desk he just said, "Tell us how much it's going to be to fix it and we'll pay." Take more photos than you think you'll need. Closeups, mid-range shots etc. Every panel. All of the interior. Hell, if I had to ship a car again I'd hook up one of those "nagging nanny" devices that monitors speed, engine rpm, etc and logs the data. That way when you get the car you can check things out to see if the idiots perpetrated any shenanigans upon your shizzle.

Quick Reply: Good Auto Shipping Company?