Giant wtf today

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Car Info: '13 DGM BRZ
Giant wtf today

So I go to jiffylube to change my oil and after about twenty minutes of waiting the guy comes back in and says there's a few problems. First the oil drain pug was stripped and they couldn't get it off. Not too big of a deal. Then he tells me that when they pulled the dip stick out there was no sign of oil at all...none. WTF that's a huge problem. So now I have to replace the bolt and remove the oil pan to inspect the engine to make sure its not ****ed. I'm massively lucky I found out now before the engine seized. So long story short anyone want to help me with my engine on Saturday.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
My first question....

Why the hell Jiffylube?

Its teenagers who don't know jack **** about cars.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Thats why you check your oil...

I check mine at least every other time i fill up gas.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM

I went to jiffylube cause its fast so I could spend my Saturday doing something else and the guy that was helping me was at least in his 30s. As for checking the oil I really need to be more vigilant with that.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by iLLDYNSTI
I went to jiffylube cause its fast so I could spend my Saturday doing something else and the guy that was helping me was at least in his 30s. As for checking the oil I really need to be more vigilant with that.
Changing oil yourself is the same as going to jiffylube and back home IMO. Well for me it is, since the closest Jiffylube is about 5min away. (ive never gone to jiffylube though, but a close friend had issues there)

Yes, check your oil more often. I check mine every 5-10days, or 1/2 tank in a N/A impreza.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Well due to the striped bolt I'm kind of forced to do it the auto hobby shop. I just have some stuff to pick up before I do. Any suggestions on which oil I should use? I ran valvoline VR1 race oil in the miata for the sake of its ability handle a lot of heat and hard miles.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 PM

Well due to the striped bolt I'm kind of forced to do it the auto hobby shop. I just have some stuff to pick up before I do. Any suggestions on which oil I should use? I ran valvoline VR1 race oil in the miata for the sake of its ability handle a lot of heat and hard miles.
Well, who knows, maybe the mechanics stripped it, and the guy who told you was the manager at the time just rambling BS.

I use Pennzoil Ultra, but then again im N/A. Not 100% sure what the turbo guys use, but Shell Rotella T-6 seems to be the "best".
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Car Info: LEGACY L7 BD,GF8 WAGON
my friend took his BMW there aswell and they efffed it up bad too...they ended up having to repair it because apparantly the lube guys dont know what the hell they are doing!!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Hopefully they were being straight up with you. First AND last time I went to Jiffylube, they neglected to tighten down the oil drain plug after an oil change. The plug came out while I was driving, spilling oil all over the road and along the underside of my car. Only good thing was that the oil trail I left made it easy to find the plug about a 1/2 mile back. Lessons learned.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
Hence the reason why I don't trust getting stuff done by other people. Heard of problems like that occuring with stripped nuts due to use of wrong tools, over tightening, etc. They will always blame issues on the owner...... Another reason why most service places don't let you in to watch them work. "Liability" is just a fancy way you say it. It also annoys me when I see people using electrical tape with electronics and mix power and signal cables together when running wires. Maybe it's just me and maybe I just love my car to much to let some other douche take a short cut on something so simple. Less I spend for labor = more I can spend for quality. Good luck and hope all goes well with your diagnosis on engine.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 AM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
I just picked up a new filter and synthetic oil from Subaru (Subaru oil) and it came out to $50. I think it was $7 a quart.
I personally would go with Subaru oil because if you read the manual, they have two specifications of oil that they require met. I find it easier to use their oil than read the label of each and every manufacturer to check and see if they meet the criteria. Good luck with your car in the future.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by the_truth
I personally would go with Subaru oil because if you read the manual, they have two specifications of oil that they require met. I find it easier to use their oil than read the label of each and every manufacturer to check and see if they meet the criteria. Good luck with your car in the future.
Isn't that just oil weight and the ase certification?

Lol
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
oils oil..... the only oil im a dick about is with my 72 240z because now a days nothing really has any zink in it, need it for them old inline 6's. Also as for the jiffy lube my roomate took his si to them, and when i did the oil change for him i had to get an impact out get the damn bolt off. They also marked the bolt with a line from what looked like a paint pen....
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
1. Stay away from Jiffylube. They are nothing but a bunch of idiots and crooks. Seriously.
2. It's faster to DIY the oil change than it is to have someone else do it.
3. Use Rotella t6. Cheap oil doesn't hold up well in turboed cars. It's pretty cheap at WallyWorld.
4. If your oil light wasn't on you didn't do any damage to the motor. Don't sweat it. IIRC 2qts low is off the bottom of the dipstick (at least in the EJ20) but there's still plenty in the pan.
5. Get a Fumoto drain valve.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by Bushflyr
5. Get a Fumoto drain valve.
do you use one?
seems like a useful product but i'm just scared of that spring in the lever failing.

Quick Reply: Giant wtf today