Ft Knox, Kentucky.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Ft Knox, Kentucky.....

anyone ever lived in that area? Radcliff, Louisville..............LMK your thoughts/experience living there. I am looking at possibly being re-assigned there.

Jess
Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
You mean like moving yourself, mizzy and the kids?

LOTS of Suby owners in Louisville and here in Cincy...we once in a while hang together.

Go on Nabisco and you can ask around for what site/forum they use.

I can tell you the following things:
- Louisville is a nice city...looked clean the times that I've been there.
- It is smaller than Honolulu...less people...less traffic.
- It is primarily white people...just in case you're not used to that.
- Cost of living is extremely low compared to Honolulu...rent is in the 600 range 1-bed and 750 range for 2-bed...maybe lower or higher depending where you go.
- Crime is lower as far as I can tell than most large cities.
- Something that would be different from HI is that there are MUCH LESS people per square mile than in HI...so you'd see bigger yards and you'll get more square feet of home for your dollars.
- LOTS of nice backroads to stretch the legs of both your STi and her EVO.
- Schools are usually very good for your kids.
- For "hawaii type food" you will not find much other than commercialized Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese...BUT there's a place called Jungle Jim's up here in Cincy that is a 2 hour drive for you to get stuff like Aloha Shoyu, Rice, cans of juice and has sections that include stuff from the Philippines (sorry sp), HI, etc.
- You will also not see the following which you may be used to: Chiggers/Jiggers (aka Asian wannabe Blacks) they will be replaced with Wiggers -- Jack in the Box (you will see White Castle and Sonics though) -- Nightlife (very few clubs most of them filled with Wiggers and D-Bags) -- High-level fashion stores (the best out here is Coach, Nordstrom, Saks and Macys...this matters to my wife...BUT you will see lots of outlets) -- Huge Cockaroaches (replaced by Cicadas every few years) -- Genki or any other cheap Sushi (there are Sushi places but they're ultra-expensive...they also have Benihana and a crap-ton of asian buffets).

Jess, I can honestly tell you it is a BETTER PLACE to raise a family in terms of cost of living, education and safety. The only bad things are that you'll be away from your family and won't have a lot of HI stuff out here. Action Gurl and I decided we will stay out here until my next promotion because baby is on the way and we feel this is a great place to raise her. The suburb we live in is approximately 30 minutes from any area you'd call "the hood" and we're able to make more money here and pay less to live which means a more comfortable life.

If you end up seriously moving let me know and I can hopefully help. There are a few other former-HIIC guys that have lived or are living out here like gpatmac, keirnna, saul goode, etc. that will probably post up as well.

Last edited by bpang1; 04-04-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Jess,
I grew up less than 200 miles from there. My brother lives about 150 miles away and my parents still live about 250 miles away or so in Virginia. Although things have no doubt changed since i lived there, things are definitely cheaper. I know that you can get a great house with maids and maids quarters for dirt cheap (next to HI standards) in those areas.
There are many filipinos in VA beach, and pockets all across the U.S., so you guys should have no probs getting good food. All things being equal, Kentucky may not be a bad place to get stationed.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanks Blake and Chris.....this is the sorta review I am looking for.

To answer your first question Blake, yes we are moving. The Army recently declined my latest extension here in Hawaii so it is time to to move on. It has been a nice long run here in Hawaii, 9 years this August to be exact. Considering my original tour here was supposed to be only 3 years I would say I have been getting over.

Louisville sounds good so far. The homes in that area sound like they are decently priced versus Hawaii. We will probably be living in base quarters till we can afford two mortgages, since we will still have our town house here in Hawaii. Oh yeah quick plug.....I will be renting out my town house sometime after October.

One other question Blake how much did it cost you to ship your car towards that area from Hawaii? I am a multiple car family so I will probably end up shipping one more car since only one is covered by the government.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
Thanks Blake and Chris.....this is the sorta review I am looking for.

To answer your first question Blake, yes we are moving. The Army recently declined my latest extension here in Hawaii so it is time to to move on. It has been a nice long run here in Hawaii, 9 years this August to be exact. Considering my original tour here was supposed to be only 3 years I would say I have been getting over.

Louisville sounds good so far. The homes in that area sound like they are decently priced versus Hawaii. We will probably be living in base quarters till we can afford two mortgages, since we will still have our town house here in Hawaii. Oh yeah quick plug.....I will be renting out my town house sometime after October.

One other question Blake how much did it cost you to ship your car towards that area from Hawaii? I am a multiple car family so I will probably end up shipping one more car since only one is covered by the government.
It was $1,700 from HI to here. I forget who I went through though. That's on the boat over the ocean then on a trailer to OH. You can save money if you have the time to drive cross-country. Though if you do that you will want to do it in the Evo since it's auto.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bpang1
It was $1,700 from HI to here. I forget who I went through though. That's on the boat over the ocean then on a trailer to OH. You can save money if you have the time to drive cross-country. Though if you do that you will want to do it in the Evo since it's auto.
not bad....considering i just got a quote from matson from Hawaii to La is like less than $1100 you figure gas to Kentucky we be like an additional $500.....so roughly about the same.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
not bad....considering i just got a quote from matson from Hawaii to La is like less than $1100 you figure gas to Kentucky we be like an additional $500.....so roughly about the same.
OH WAIT...I forgot that my car was shipped BEFORE they increased the HI to CA boat trip price from 900 to 1100. So it'd be like 1900 for the full-service.

I would prefer driving it cross-country as its a good chance to see the nation and for you to show the kids some of the sights on your way there. Can always make it a two-week adventure and visit Yosemite and stuff like that.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bpang1
OH WAIT...I forgot that my car was shipped BEFORE they increased the HI to CA boat trip price from 900 to 1100. So it'd be like 1900 for the full-service.

I would prefer driving it cross-country as its a good chance to see the nation and for you to show the kids some of the sights on your way there. Can always make it a two-week adventure and visit Yosemite and stuff like that.
Agreed on the road trip across the u.s. I did it several times as a kid. Priceless memories! Also, in the summer of 2007 Horizon lines charged me $1k to ship a vehicle in a closed container from seattle port to hnl. The prices may be about the same, since fuel surcharges have stabilized recently.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Also, if you are using paid military transport, do they still use pontoon beach, IL. as their middle-ground location still?