Friend looking for Subbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Car Info: '13 DGM BRZ
Friend looking for Subbie

Hey all. Ive got a friend on the boat that is looking for a Subbie. He found a STI swapped WRX on line but i havent seen it before. Not sure if the seller is on here, I looked but didnt see anything. Ill link the ad so you can look. If anyone has any info about the car please let me know either here or at the meet tomorrow. Shootz.

2007 SUBARU WRX TR 470WHP STI ENGINE
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
How much money does your friend have and how well does he know cars?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM

Hes looking at around 20K. Hes more of a american muscle car guy then imports but hes looking for something new to play with.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
PM spinplay01. looks like his car. if it is then it is built by someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Looks like Chads car.... Guess he sold it, cause that isn't his number. Curious as to why it's up for sale again. He's on here, I'm sure he will chime in.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
I built it, and put less than 500 miles on it in 2 years. It didn't have a single ding when I sold it a few months ago.

I was boosting high on the dyno and it was blowing coolant out the overflow. Then dialed the boost back down to like 20psi or so. After that it was hitting 472 at the wheels and coolant wasn't coming out of the over flow tank. So that is how I drove it home. I let it sit for a few months. Drove it to town a few times after that. Car stalled and would restart. Tracked problem to the in-tank fuel pump.

I rigged the fuel system due to an assumed faulty fuel pump relay. (no power to in-tank pump) I set it up so the bosch would suck straight from the tank and pump to the rails to be drivable temporarily.

Drove it home, and it sat for about a month before I sold it.

I was planning on ringing the block and installing stronger head studs so I could boost it higher....but never did.
The heads may have been lifting under high boost when I last saw it, or it could have been a radiator cap issue.

The turbo oil return was leaking a little.

This was the known condition when I sold it.

I dont know what type of repairs or damage have been done since I sold it.

It isn't a sti swap. The sti and wrx block halves are identical. The block halves that are in it happen to have come from an sti before they were sleeved. It does have sti heads (combustion chamber slightly different). Most other part of the engine, induction, suspension, and drivetrain are high end aftermarket.

I performed various weight reductions that probably shouldnt be mentioned on a public forum for legal reasons.

The weight of a REALLY FAT girlfriend was removed. So you can balance it out if you are into refrigerator sized women.
A cage and harness SHOULD be installed before driving it if you care about personal safety.

Personally, I don't care that much. Nobody is going to live through this ride called life.

It was purpose built in hopes of a road course, just never installed a cage or got around to completing the vehicle.

A stock sti with a few bolt-on upgrades would be way more reliable and a far better daily driver.

If he has another car, money to blow, and wants a great deal on a noisy/dangerous contraption that can spin all four tires on the freeway and scare the shipoop out of nearly anyone ...this is the toy for him.

If your friend knows cars, it is a steal of a deal at 20k. It has more than twice that in aftermarket parts alone.

Last edited by spinplay01; 10-26-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by iLLDYNSTI
Hes looking at around 20K. Hes more of a american muscle car guy then imports but hes looking for something new to play with.
So you didn't answer either of my questions. If $20k is his maximum budget, he needs to pass on it like it will give him AIDS. And this will not be his DD.

Last edited by Brfatal; 10-26-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Originally Posted by Brfatal
So you didn't answer either of my questions. If $20k is his maximum budget, he needs to pass on it like it will give him AIDS. And this will not be his DD.
^ Correct.

It is more of a car for the type of person that wouldn't have to finance it and has disposable income.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Can buy my wagon.

Last edited by PSBeachBum; 10-26-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
i work at subaru just hit me up when he gets back.... see what i have at that time... u have an idea of when he comes in?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM

I talked with him some more and he is taking my suggestion and passing on it. It's too much car for him . He's never driven an AWD with that amount of power. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I got a silver 02 I will be selling as soon as I get the safety and reg renewed. Less power than the other one and lower price, but lots of goodies. I can tell you (or him) more if he still wants one.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Originally Posted by spinplay01
I built it, and put less than 500 miles on it in 2 years. It didn't have a single ding when I sold it a few months ago.

I was boosting high on the dyno and it was blowing coolant out the overflow. Then dialed the boost back down to like 20psi or so. After that it was hitting 472 at the wheels and coolant wasn't coming out of the over flow tank. So that is how I drove it home. I let it sit for a few months. Drove it to town a few times after that. Car stalled and would restart. Tracked problem to the in-tank fuel pump.

I rigged the fuel system due to an assumed faulty fuel pump relay. (no power to in-tank pump) I set it up so the bosch would suck straight from the tank and pump to the rails to be drivable temporarily.

Drove it home, and it sat for about a month before I sold it.

I was planning on ringing the block and installing stronger head studs so I could boost it higher....but never did.
The heads may have been lifting under high boost when I last saw it, or it could have been a radiator cap issue.

The turbo oil return was leaking a little.

This was the known condition when I sold it.

I dont know what type of repairs or damage have been done since I sold it.

It isn't a sti swap. The sti and wrx block halves are identical. The block halves that are in it happen to have come from an sti before they were sleeved. It does have sti heads (combustion chamber slightly different). Most other part of the engine, induction, suspension, and drivetrain are high end aftermarket.

I performed various weight reductions that probably shouldnt be mentioned on a public forum for legal reasons.

The weight of a REALLY FAT girlfriend was removed. So you can balance it out if you are into refrigerator sized women.
A cage and harness SHOULD be installed before driving it if you care about personal safety.

Personally, I don't care that much. Nobody is going to live through this ride called life.

It was purpose built in hopes of a road course, just never installed a cage or got around to completing the vehicle.

A stock sti with a few bolt-on upgrades would be way more reliable and a far better daily driver.

If he has another car, money to blow, and wants a great deal on a noisy/dangerous contraption that can spin all four tires on the freeway and scare the shipoop out of nearly anyone ...this is the toy for him.

If your friend knows cars, it is a steal of a deal at 20k. It has more than twice that in aftermarket parts alone.
Touché to you sir for building a beast. *golf clap*
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 AM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
This airforce guy i work with has a 06 Legacy, its got i wana say like 45k on the ODO, down pipe, exhaust, lowered, sitting on some nice looking 19's and he wants 10k i can get more info if ya want.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Ok let me ask him today.

Quick Reply: Friend looking for Subbie