Flat tire repair...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Flat tire repair...

Ok, so I was cleaning the wheels again and noticed a nail in the inner corner of the tire. Curious if I can just take it anywhere like Goodyear and have it repaired. I think that most places do it free, but what about them messing up the rim. Just curious if I should take it to like Eurosport or something, but I know they would charge for it, or atleast Im pretty sure they would. They charge a buttload for everything there. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
tread or sidewall?

If it's on the tread, you can find pretty much anywhere a tire plug kit.

Too easy and extremely durable.

Oh yeah. If it's tread you're good. I'm assuming it is by the tone of your post. If it's sidewall, you're dicked.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Just like what Pat said, if it's on the sidewall you can kiss that tire goodbye.

I wouldn't plug it if you were going to do any performance driving. I've seen plugs come apart if not done right. I prefer tire patching.

I've had good luck with Sears. Just stand over them like a hawk (not a problem when you're 6'13"!) and they'll get the idea you don't want them to jack up your BBS rim.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by IS2Scooby
I wouldn't plug it if you were going to do any performance driving. I've seen plugs come apart if not done right. I prefer tire patching.
Come on "performance driving" it's Dave!

Yeah, San & and Dave are fighting for 1st place in the GT "0-55 MPH" Cup Class!

Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Mach5WRX
Come on "performance driving" it's Dave!

Yeah, San & and Dave are fighting for 1st place in the GT "0-55 MPH" Cup Class!
Come on, I actually had it up to 57 the other day so now its Sans turn to top that. Oh and BITE ME!

Someday, oh someday, I will surprise the SH~T outta everyone and actually show up at Auto-X or something. Heck it will surprise the heck outta me too. Probably only when Im drinking early and end up getting lost, but who knows...

Edit: Oh and its tread so Im ok. Thank god.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Angry Dan

I hate to say this, but take it to Eurosport. They have the pads for the machine that takes the tire off. So the wheels don't get f-ed up.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Mach5WRX
I hate to say this, but take it to Eurosport. They have the pads for the machine that takes the tire off. So the wheels don't get f-ed up.
Yeah figured it was probably worth it. Maybe since I ordered a buttload of tires from them they will go easy on me or do it for free.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:46 PM

Car Info: toaster
just make sure you ask for permission to look at the AVO rex, even though your standing right in front of it and the hoods up and their working on your car, which is also right next to it

Last edited by kawshon1; 08-21-2003 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by kawshon1
just make sure you ask for permission to look at the AVO rex
Is it Silver? Might have been the one they had down there a month or so ago. Was checking that one out and it was BAAAAD.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:48 PM

Car Info: toaster
no it's white.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by kawshon1
no it's white.
Ah ok, will check it out tomorrow...
Old 08-22-2003, 03:30 AM
Angry Dan

It's an "ok" car, wish it would get "driven".
Old 08-22-2003, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by IS2Scooby
Just like what Pat said, if it's on the sidewall you can kiss that tire goodbye.

I've had good luck with Sears. Just stand over them like a hawk (not a problem when you're 6'13"!) and they'll get the idea you don't want them to jack up your BBS rim.
Although I wouldn't classify myself as an ASCE(?) (is that what you are when you're a certified mechanic?) for tire changing, that's what I did for 2 years to help put myself through Juvie...college.

The only thing to point out about it is the physics of it. Where the patch or the plug is, is automatically a weak point. How weak? I'd say not very. Plug or patch is equally (I can use 'is' since I said 'or' right?) strong. The potential for the patch is that the glue could become degraded. The potential for the plug is not that it would become dislodged, assuming it's done correctly, but that the surrounding surface area has weakened.

Honestly, even though Bloomington, Indiana can grow to about 50,000 pop. during the school year, about 20,000 of those folks are not residents. It's a very small town community feel, so point being, most of our customers were regular locals. In the entire time I worked there, we never had anyone return because a plug didn't seat well.

It's much easier to drive to your local convenience store to pick up a plug kit than it is to fight traffic, there and back, down to Eurosport.

Why did I just write all that? I dont' know. Not awake yet.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Not arguing, just regurgitating what we were taught at "mechanic's school".

Never attempt to repair a tire yourself. We recommend repairs only be done by authorized tire dealers. Do not use rope-type plug repairs, unless they are RMA approved. Such repairs are applied from the tire exterior, and do not allow for an inspection of the tire interior for damage. Also, they may cause further damage to the tire. They are not always air tight and the plug may fail. If the tire has a puncture in the tread or sidewall which exceeds 1/4" (6 mm), the tire must be replaced. Cassidy Tire recommends that punctured tires be dismounted from the wheel, thoroughly inspected, and repaired with an interior patch with a pull-through device to seal the injury and keep out moisture. Only professional tire service technicians should attempt to repair a tire.

Proper repair materials and procedures must he used by a qualified tire repair professional. Do not use rope-type plug repairs, unless they are RMA approved. Repairs performed on speed-rated tires may reduce the tire's maximum speed capabilities.
http://www.cassidytire.com/repairs.html
Old 08-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
yeah Richard, .... of course that's what they're going to say, .... they're in the business of making money!!!
Just like all our aftermarket parts say to be installed by profesionals!

I'm not arguing either, ... I just think it's funny. hehe

Quick Reply: Flat tire repair...