Flagrant abuse of power...HPD

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:48 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
Thumbs down Flagrant abuse of power...HPD

Wonder why people don't like cops? I've got a recent example.

I'm driving my kids to grandma's house this morning. Obeying all the traffic laws including the speed limit. When a green 4runner pulls out into the street without stopping at the stop sign. I slam on my brakes in disbelief as this Jack hole gives me the stink eye. So I give him the finger. He jacks his right back up in response. So its on right? I flip a U turn to inform this numbnut he ran a stop sign and that I'm pissed off because I've got children in the car.

Guess what happens. This off-duty cop turns on his flashing lights to warn me he's a cop. F--k that, I proceed to tell this jack hole off anyway. (probably not smart) but I didn't care my children were in the car!

He starts telling me that he's a cop and he should give me a ticket!

He's off duty, no light on the top of his car and his wife is with him, what is he going to do give me a ticket for hitting my brakes so my kids don't get hurt because he ran a stop sign? I informed him in colorful language of his error and he goes on about how I'm lucky he doesn't take me in.

Again I mention for what reason, for obeying the traffic laws. I tell him he's a jack hole and my wife begins to take his licence plate # and he takes off.

First of all, what a b-tch! I guess he is above the law and if I did hit him I'd probably be at fault regardless of the fact I clearly had the right of way.

Just because he's a cop on or off duty he is above the law. Does that mean that just because I'm a Navy Officer I can dress down sailors when I'm in civilian clothes in public, NO!

I know cops read this board and that is who I'm actually appealing to, I want to lodge a formal complaint on this a$$wipe! He drives a green 4Runner lic plate # GXG537. What is the best way I can go about this?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
You can write multiple letters to the city council and the mayor. Also, the chief of police. Beyond that, I don't think you can sue him, unless he would've happened to press charges.

You can find out where he lives and we could pay him a visit.

You could egg his car.

You could tell the school that he's not a virgin. Sorry, bad joke, serious topic.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:15 PM

Car Info: Silver STi due in Sept
Maybe you can report it as a road rage incident? That'll get some attention.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:28 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Bao Ling or HSLIN should be interested in this...
Old 09-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
i'm all about reporting my many incidents/harassments with hpd, .... seems like everyone from here knows how corrupt they are.

glad you didn't get in a wreck though.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Agreed, glad no one was hurt. Glad you spoke your mind, Bro.

PM'd you with some info.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:20 PM

Car Info: White on Gold STi
This is like when someone in the military does something stupid and gives us a bad name, man that really pisses me off.

If I were a cop this would **** me off to no end, endangering peoples lives because they think they're not going to get cought.

I understand the hold the whole cops look out for cops, because the military does the same thing. But at some point you have to look out for your (military/PD) image and get rid of the bad apples.

him
Old 09-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Pr0n King

BTW, Jayson... Your post was articulate, well structured, compelling, even handed and effective in conveying your message. It sure got me worked up for you.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Jay, have a letter typed out, describing the incident with as much detail as possible: exactly where, time of day, speed traveling, words used by the cop, etc...

go down to the main police station on beretania (or was it king st??? anyway, the one by the board of water supply)...go in and say you want to discuss a matter with internal affairs...dont forget your id!

an IA (int. affairs) detective will come and see you...he/she will ask for id and stuff...then they'll give you a paper to explain what happened and stuff, but since you already have everything typed out, you just hand her your type written letter...they take down your info and tell you they will review it and stuff...you will NOT know the outcome of the verdict...

in your case, you may also have to stop by the main police office in downtown...i forget exactly where...ask the IA detective where it is, and file another complaint there also...you can also call them (check the phone book), and ask exactly where the office is, and not have to mention it to the IA detective...i'd tell you where it is, but i forgot...

the sargeant of the cop may or may not get in touch with you...

i did all of this a while back when a cop wanted to give me tickets for not having recon, while i had the OFFICIAL papers from the recon office saying my car DIDNT need recon...

does all this seem like a lot of work??? yes it does...but how bad did this guy "wrong" you...if you want to take action, then do it...i did...

now cops have a hard job as it is, and i respect them for what they have to put up with, BUT they MUST maintain that fine line of handling the situation and abusing their power...i HATE cops with power trips...they give the good guys a bad name...

good luck and whatever happens, post up the results...
Old 09-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Pr0n King

Power does have a tendency to corrupt, that is for sure.

I'd venture to say it's a hard temptation to resist, however you're right... There's no excuse for an "above the law" mentality.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:16 PM

Jay.....try this

http://www.honolulupd.org/main/complaint.htm

L8trs,
JD
Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Well If think I have to chime in here.

I have lived all over the would, and traveled over the US. So I think I can say this without anyone having too much of a problem with it.

HPD is the worst PD I have ever seen/worked with, in the whole world - Period!

It's a shame too, because I have meet some really good HPD officers.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:33 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by Mach5WRX
Well If think I have to chime in here.

I have lived all over the would, and traveled over the US. So I think I can say this without anyone having too much of a problem with it.

HPD is the worst PD I have ever seen/worked with, in the whole world - Period!

It's a shame too, because I have meet some really good HPD officers.
I think its also maybe island mentality. I mean you are the ONLY jurisdiction around and you feel you own the land. When I lived on Saipan and Guam it was the same. Sorta a "local" attitude and all, most of the cops were locals and not haoles and so they felt it was their island and they could still drive around as they had since they were teenagers doing what they wanted. I have many cop friends back in Boise and they are cool guys, but they ALL have attitudes and became cops due to the powertrip, NOT because they wanted to "help" the community. They would all brag about how they would be able to carry guns and run lights and such. And they did. I heard many a story and have seen them use the lights to get somewhere quicker. Its too bad really...

No offense to anyone who doesnt abuse their power, but its a reality here and many places...
Old 09-08-2003, 11:45 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
I fear for the future also, my coworkers have a huge powertrip and they're trying to get into the academy.

Quick Reply: Flagrant abuse of power...HPD